Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Right. I also read it can be a symptom of smoking cessation or perhaps in this case replacement. I'm still at the dual use stage about a month in and replaced about 60% or so. So my situation may not be a good guage for others.

Yeah... When you start to come down off Cigarettes, it Isn't uncommon to have a few Side Effects. I'll also mention that some people find PG to be an Irritant at certain Percentages.

I myself get that Popcorn Husk caught in the back of my Throat Cough if I use e-liquids with more that 20% PG for any length of time. But if I stay under 20% PG or so, I'm fine.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hello JR789 and welcome to ECF.

Some people do experience irritation from certain flavors. Absolutely yes with throat irritation for example.

That is very dependent on how much flavoring is used in any given juice. It is also subject to the specific ingredients a flavoring company uses in creating a flavor.

I was never much for commercial juices. For me, all were seriously over flavored and way too sweet. Tried many.

Almost immediately after I started vaping I got into DIY. With DIY I am able to control, and tailor, my vaping experience to meet my desires.

The flavors we use in DIY are not created equally. The flavors we use in DIY are the same ones used in commercial juices. One company's pineapple may be very harsh while another company's is not. Same with peach flavors for example. There are flavors from every company that 'some' will feel are harsh or irritating.

As @zoiDman posted, some people have problems with PG. You might be one of those people. Finding high VG, or 100% VG, juices might help you.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I get irritation from certain fruits too. My guess is that's what you're getting. Some flavours make me cough especially when vaped straight away. Try opening the lid and popping the fill cap and leaving them overnight/day and see if it improves.

Of course if you're in the process of stopping the death sticks it may just be crap loosening and trying to get out.

Pg is an issue for some as already stated but that normally goes with mouth inflammation too.

Hope you kick the sticks :)

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
Hello JR789 and welcome to ECF.

Some people do experience irritation from certain flavors. Absolutely yes with throat irritation for example.

That is very dependent on how much flavoring is used in any given juice. It is also subject to the specific ingredients a flavoring company uses in creating a flavor.

I was never much for commercial juices. For me, all were seriously over flavored and way too sweet. Tried many.

Almost immediately after I started vaping I got into DIY. With DIY I am able to control, and tailor, my vaping experience to meet my desires.

The flavors we use in DIY are not created equally. The flavors we use in DIY are the same ones used in commercial juices. One company's pineapple may be very harsh while another company's is not. Same with peach flavors for example. There are flavors from every company that 'some' will feel are harsh or irritating.

As @zoiDman posted, some people have problems with PG. You might be one of those people. Finding high VG, or 100% VG, juices might help you.
Diy sounds cool. Definately gonna put that on the short list. I went right to high VG because I remember the old days more PG was pretty harsh in some cases

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
I get irritation from certain fruits too. My guess is that's what you're getting. Some flavours make me cough especially when vaped straight away. Try opening the lid and popping the fill cap and leaving them overnight/day and see if it improves.

Of course if you're in the process of stopping the death sticks it may just be crap loosening and trying to get out.

Pg is an issue for some as already stated but that normally goes with mouth inflammation too.

Hope you kick the sticks :)
Yeah for sure steeping/aging helps. Had some juices that were harsh and terrible til I aired them out and gave the a shake every day for couple of weeks.
That said I've had some house brands here and there that are 2 dimensional and poor quality ingredients that can't be saved. Just a learning experience.

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
Yeah... When you start to come down off Cigarettes, it Isn't uncommon to have a few Side Effects. I'll also mention that some people find PG to be an Irritant at certain Percentages.

I myself get that Popcorn Husk caught in the back of my Throat Cough if I use e-Liquids with more that 20% PG for any length of time. But if I stay under 20% PG or so, I'm fine.
I find PG harsh as well. I like high VG. Sometimes I cut my juices with VG pharmacy grade. Less flavour but necessary in some cases for me

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
My experience, especially fruit *the citrus added to those juices...), if the vape is too warm, even with higher vg, it will cause irritation. while some reviewers like a warm vape, I have had to dial the wattage down for juices using my .6 and .23 ohm coils (even after I clean them and the ohms go up a bit :-x).

Its not only the juice, its how you vape. My higher nic juices go in my replaceable pods (Novo 2 and 3), while the 8, 6 and 3mg go in the lower ohm and variable wattage devices. All my higher nics are DIY (except for the mistake I made in purchasing nic salt juice, but that helps when I have the strongest crave, and when stressed, just gave up the cigs).

You will love DIY. Find out that even with PG added, your juice is cleaner, and better (less sugar?) than commercial juice.

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
My experience, especially fruit *the citrus added to those juices...), if the vape is too warm, even with higher vg, it will cause irritation. while some reviewers like a warm vape, I have had to dial the wattage down for juices using my .6 and .23 ohm coils (even after I clean them and the ohms go up a bit :-x).

Its not only the juice, its how you vape. My higher nic juices go in my replaceable pods (Novo 2 and 3), while the 8, 6 and 3mg go in the lower ohm and variable wattage devices. All my higher nics are DIY (except for the mistake I made in purchasing nic salt juice, but that helps when I have the strongest crave, and when stressed, just gave up the cigs).

You will love DIY. Find out that even with PG added, your juice is cleaner, and better (less sugar?) than commercial juice.
Great summary. I'm gradually learning these variables by trial and error, a few dry hits and some irritation

Any good leads on getting started with diy juice?
Like do you need sweetener or certain base flavours to make a good juice? I saw a couple of Canadian suppliers online. That's where I am. Don't know where you order from.
Probably lots of recipes online but I'm guessing most of the fun is making your own

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
Great summary. I'm gradually learning these variables by trial and error, a few dry hits and some irritation

Like do you need sweetener or certain base flavours to make a good juice? I saw a couple of Canadian suppliers online. That's where I am. Don't know where you order from.
Probably lots of recipes online but I'm guessing most of the fun is making your own

Don't know much about Canadian suppliers, since mine are close to me. Don't know how to get nic in Canada. I follow several You Tube channels (current and old) for recipes. One is DIY or DIE, another is an oldie DIY Vapor. It would be tool ong of a list for all, but you will get recommendations from videos, and googling, and you tube itself, to subscribe. When done with a defunct channel, just unsubscribe (Vaping Biker comes to mind).

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
Don't know much about Canadian suppliers, since mine are close to me. Don't know how to get nic in Canada. I follow several You Tube channels (current and old) for recipes. One is DIY or DIE, another is an oldie DIY Vapor. It would be tool ong of a list for all, but you will get recommendations from videos, and googling, and you tube itself, to subscribe. When done with a defunct channel, just unsubscribe (Vaping Biker comes to mind).

Great. I appreciate it. Will check those out and keep researching.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Yes...

If you are new to DIY then you might want to look at the DIY sub.
DIY E-Liquid

Grab the "DIY information" PDF in the following post. It will help you.
DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF

Visit the Random DIY thread. There are many DIY'ers there and at all levels. Pop in and ask any questions. Everyone is helpful.
Random DIY mixing and More

For recipes check out Zazie's Blog. Nearly all of us in the Random DIY thread contribute our recipes there. It's a great resource for seeing how people put mixes together. There are many excellent recipes there. I am 100% confident you can find some that may suit your tastes.
Zazie's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Like do you need sweetener or certain base flavours to make a good juice?
IMO sweeteners are seriously overused by many in DIY. Sweeteners have their place, as a tool, but they most certainly are not something to be used in every juice. I rarely, if ever, use any sweetener(s). Many flavors have X amount of sweetness already built-in per the ingredients used to create a flavor. It all comes down to how well one knows and understands the flavors they have and how to use them to make sweet(er) or less sweet juices.

Finding flavors you will like, and ones that suit you best, takes time and patience. Creating good DIY mixes also takes time, patience as well as trial and error.

There is no such thing as "what are the best flavors for DIY". It comes down to personal preference for each DIY'er.

Probably lots of recipes online
True. But, but, but... there are many crappy recipes to be found online as well. Finding recipes you might like will also take time and effort.

Last edited:

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
Yes...

If you are new to DIY then you might want to look at the DIY sub.
DIY E-Liquid

Grab the "DIY information" PDF in the following post. It will help you.
DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF

Visit the Random DIY thread. There are many DIY'ers there and at all levels. Pop in and ask any questions. Everyone is helpful.
Random DIY mixing and More

For recipes check out Zazie's Blog. Nearly all of us in the Random DIY thread contribute our recipes there. It's a great resource for seeing how people put mixes together. There are many excellent recipes there. I am 100% confident you can find some that may suit your tastes.
Zazie's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

IMO sweeteners are seriously overused by many in DIY. Sweeteners have their place, as a tool, but they most certainly are not something to be used in every juice. I rarely, if ever, use any sweetener(s). Many flavors have X amount of sweetness already built-in per the ingredients used to create a flavor. It all comes down to how well one knows and understands the flavors they have.

Finding flavors you will like, and ones that suit you best, takes time and patience. Creating good DIY mixes also takes time, patience as well as trial and error.

True. But, but, but... there are many crappy recipes to be found online as well. Finding recipes you might like will also take time and effort.
Wow. Great. Looking forward to it even more. Thanks for the direction.:thumbs:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I saw a couple of Canadian suppliers online. That's where I am.
Here is a very comprehensive list of DIY flavor concentrate retailers that was compiled by one of our members (UncleJunkle).

Scroll down to Canada.

List of Flavor Concentrate Retailers - USA, CA, UK, EU, AU, NZ | E-Cigarette Forum

Some of us also buy from Chefs Flavours and Nom Nomz in the UK. They carry very many flavors.

Here in the US many of us buy from Bull City Flavors. They have a fairly large inventory. There are others I use but those three are the main ones.

Reactions: DLKnives

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
Wow. That suppliers list is great. Been checking out some websites. I can't believe how much everything has improved in 10 yrs as I get back into vaping. Flavours used to be 2 dimensional at best. Now there are layers of flavour. And we don't have to build our own tanks and mods anymore.
I'll definitely check out the random diy section. Lots to learn.

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
Wow. That suppliers list is great. Been checking out some websites. I can't believe how much everything has improved in 10 yrs as I get back into vaping. Flavours used to be 2 dimensional at best. Now there are layers of flavour. And we don't have to build our own tanks and mods anymore.
I'll definitely check out the random diy section. Lots to learn.

It was joked on a few videos I watched today that the return to build mods and tanks may be coming.

I have never done so, but one might want to stock up on mods and RDA's RTA's over the next few months. Nicotine is also becoming harder to acquire, and (I believe imo) that it will become more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread