Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Ready...

Set...

Quiz!

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_105.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Wow! You're really slipping -- I actually know some of these!

1, 2, 3, 4, and 8 with a probable 7.

I'll be interested to see how many recognize 4 -- it's a very good movie, but I think it's just a matter of chance whether someone runs across it.

Something at the back of my mind says I've seen 5, but I couldn't have found it memorable because . . . well . . . I don't really remember it.

As for 7 -- it's an icon, but I can't state definitely that this particular shot is from the movie I'm thinking of.

It seems to me that most of these movies are a little older than you usually pick -- maybe if you stepped back another couple of decades, I might be able to sweep it. ;)

Reactions: caffeinated

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
You got #4, FantWriter! Color me impressed! You're right, though, it's not a movie that a lot of people are even aware of.

As for #5, it's undeniably a memorable movie. In the context of the overall film, the screenshot just isn't a particularly memorable scene. ;) .I'm mostly relying on the identities of the actresses to provide the clue for this one.

Regarding my possible "slippage," and perhaps picking older movies than usual, I'm just trying to mix things up a little. I figure making the quiz a little bit easier might elicit a few more responses than usual.

Last edited:

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Admittedly, I came to watch 4 through a very round-about process. I was seeking out movies based on Philip K. Dick novels. The tape I got of the director's 1992 movie also had this movie. I can't imagine any other way I'd have run across it.

Um . . . I think you meant the scene for 5, not 7.

I hope a lot of people do respond -- these are a lot of fun (even when I only get one or two) and deserve far greater attention.

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
...I really hope Jman's not right about 2 being mainly for movie buffs:ohmy:!

I personally think it should be recognized by every literate adult, but that's probably because I'm into movies, and that one's iconic. (It's not actually to my taste, haven't watched it in forty years, and regularly pass it up when it airs, but there's no disputing it's one of the most important movies of all time.)

It's odd how that still reminded me of the scene in Depp's pirate movie where she dumps the rum.

Great -- now I'm going to be wondering how many other movies there are in which a woman empties a man's booze -- it would make a great theme in the current TCM Programming Challenge -- but I know I'll never recall enough of them before the deadline.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Got all but 6 and 7. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen 6; think I have seen 7 or part of it TV channel flipping but the title isn't coming to mind.

Hint for 4: Title of the movie is the name of the main character, a character seen in the still.

Last edited:

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, round one:

#1: Roy Neary is one of several people who witness UFOs flying through the night sky. He is subsequently haunted by a mountain-like image in his head, and he becomes obsessed with discovering what it represents. Meanwhile, government agents discover a squadron of planes, reported missing decades earlier, have suddenly appeared in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. The government determines the location where something otherworldly is about to happen, and they create an elaborate cover-up to keep civilians away. However, a group of people, including Neary, share a vision which draws them to this place, and a meeting with new, and old friends.

#2: At the start of World War I, gin-swilling riverboat captain Charlie Allnut is using his old steamer to transport supplies to villages in East Africa. Reverend Samuel Sayer and his sister Rose are British Christian missionaries working in a local village who rely upon Charlie's services. Shortly after the German army orders the destruction of the village, Rev. Sayer dies and Charlie agrees to ferry the Reverend's sister back to civilization, taking on the Germans at the same time.

#3: A scheming woman only marries for money, and her latest catch is a revered brain surgeon. He is driven to distraction as she endlessly pleads a headache whenever he gets amorous - though this doesn't seem to stop her with other men. On a trip to Vienna, the doctor visits a laboratory and strikes up an odd friendship with something - or someone - he finds there. The result is that as he grows increasingly suspicious of his stunning wife, he develops a meaningful - but of necessity platonic - relationship with a bottled brain.

#4: A white Bull Terrier is given to an elderly woman by her daughter. Although she's afraid of him, she doesn't want to give him away because she feels lonely. But the dog has his own ideas - he longs to be dominated, to be challenged - and so he isn't content with his boring life with the old lady. To get rid of her, he causes an accident. It works, and he's given to the neighbors, a young couple. He's happy... for a while. But, when they have a baby, he again takes action.

Hope these helped! :)

movie-quiz_105_1-4.jpg

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Oh! 4 is the movie we'd rented and just started the night that my dad chopped off most of a couple toes with his push lawnmower:shock:! You'd think that would've cemented it my mind, but it had vanished entirely 'til now. I'll seek it out again, and (though I doubt my dad would say the same:rolleyes:) I appreciate the reminder :)!

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
I already got these 8. ;)
Start another one....LOL
I appreciate the enthusiasm. :D

Actually, when I started doing these quizzes a few years back, I'd only let it run for two days before posting the answers.

I posted a new quiz every week for probably a year and a half. Then, when folks asked me to let the game run for longer, I held off for eight or nine days before posting answers. That's also when I started letting two to three weeks pass between quizzes.

All that having been said, if you search the FSUSA forum for "movie quiz" you can check out all of the previous 102+ quiz threads I've posted in here.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Oh! 4 is the movie we'd rented and just started the night that my dad chopped off most of a couple toes with his push lawnmower:shock:! You'd think that would've cemented it my mind, but it had vanished entirely 'til now. I'll seek it out again, and (though I doubt my dad would say the same:rolleyes:) I appreciate the reminder :)!

Hmmm. A repressed movie syndrome testimonial. I'm sure I've got a few of those myself. If only I could remember...

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, round 2:

#5: A visiting actress in Washington, D.C., notices dramatic and dangerous changes in the behavior and physical make-up of her 12-year-old daughter. Meanwhile, a young priest at nearby Georgetown University begins to doubt his faith while dealing with his mother's terminal sickness. And, book-ending the story, a frail, elderly priest recognizes the necessity for a show-down with an old demonic enemy.

#6: The title character, (pictured), is a mob hit man who, upon falling in love, quits his work in organized crime. Several years later, his wife succumbs to a terminal illness, and to make sure he's not alone she arranges for a dog to be brought to him after her death. Later, some men wanting his car break in to his house, beat him up, and kill his dog. When he recovers, he sets to get the ones who killed his dog.

#7: This film tells the story of Evey Hammond and her unlikely but instrumental part in bringing down the fascist government that has taken control of a futuristic Great Britain. Saved from a life-and-death situation by a man in a Guy Fawkes mask, she learns a general summary of his past and, after a time, decides to help him bring down those who committed the atrocities that led to Britain being in the shape that it is in.

#8: Best-selling novelist Paul Sheldon is on his way home from his Colorado hideaway after completing his latest book, when he crashes his car in a blizzard. Paul is critically injured, but is rescued by former nurse Annie Wilkes, Paul's "number one fan", who takes him back to her remote house in the mountains (without bothering to tell anybody). Unfortunately for Paul, Annie is also a headcase.

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_105_5-8.jpg

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Sorta picked up the spare. Can't quite remember the name of #6 without cheating (tempted!), and it's not one I've seen, but I know the movie and the actor in that screenshot now (hadn't even recognized him). Hoping the character/movie's name will come to me if I entirely stop thinking about it since that's typically how it works:rolleyes:.

Reactions: caffeinated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread