Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Ladies and gentlemen, for your entertainment and amusement, I present you with Movie Quiz number 104. :)

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_106.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
#1 was a gimmie -- it was on TCM in August as part of tribute to second actor from the left.
#3 -- I know which movie it is from the adverts, but I couldn't name it if my life depended on it. Will probably watch it when it comes on tv.
#5 -- something about it is familiar, but no clue.
#7 -- definitely, of course. One of the greatest movies of its type ever. Original version was great, too.
#8 -- no idea, but this still makes me think I might want to see it.

Thanks, caff!

Edit: Just remembered #5!

Reactions: caffeinated

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Got all but 6 and 8. I like my chances on 6 though, looks super familiar.

You guys know 4. You just don't know you know it yet.

Well, give me a break -- I never saw the movie.

Highly recommended :pop:! Couple friends and I watched it twice in one day...sneaked back into the theater (first time for everything, right? ;)).

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Hmm, I don't think I'd agree with that. But, maybe this clue would be less obscure?

You're kidding! I never would have guessed that. I expected it to be a completely different type of movie. So, yeah, okay, I have seen #4, probably a couple of dozen times.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
You're kidding! I never would have guessed that. I expected it to be a completely different type of movie. So, yeah, okay, I have seen #4, probably a couple of dozen times.

Me too! On the "never would've guessed that" front and expecting it to be a different movie. Was thinking along lines of, "Jake the devil worshipping, baby snatching, life hating loner." Which is only 5% accurate with the Jake of that movie.

IMO, the clues are generally very good and it seems to come down to whether you've seen the film (or not). But that is one I'm sure we've all seen (several times) and the clue seems obscure. In films 2, 5 and 7 main characters faces are shown, so not very obscure.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, part 1:

#1: A group of aging outlaws on the Mexican-U.S. frontier face the march of progress, the Mexican army, and a gang of bounty hunters while they plan a robbery of a U.S. army train. No one is innocent in this gritty tale of of desperation against changing times. Pump shotguns, machine guns and automobiles mix with horses and Winchesters in this ultraviolent 1969 western.

#2: This movie's title character is a genius who's living a rough life in South Boston, while being employed as a janitor at a prestigious college in Boston. A brilliant math professor at the school discovers the boy's gifts, and tries to get him to turn his life around. With the help of an empathetic psychiatrist, he begins to realize that there's more to himself then he thinks there is.

#3: Robotics nerd Hiro Hamada discovers an inflatable health care robot, Baymax, created in the past by his brother. After a terrible, life-changing accident, Hiro and Baymax team up with four other nerds and save their hometown San Fransokyo from an evil super villain trying to take over with Hiro's invention.

#4: Jake, just out from prison, and his brother Elwood are on a mission from God. Their divine charge is to collect enough money to save the Catholic orphanage where they were raised. To do so, they've got to get their old band back together to perform and earn the money legitimately.

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_106_1-4.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
I'm thinking 1 is something I would know immediately by title and 3 has a 50/50 chance of that being true. But thinking I haven't seen either, which is possibly a travesty in the case of number 1.

I wouldn't call it a travesty if you haven't seen it, but it's definitely worth watching. That genre isn't one of my favorites, but I liked it well enough, and it is a classic. Given a choice between watching it again or watching There Was a Crooked Man (1970), I'd choose the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread