Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Ladies and gentlemen, for your entertainment and amusement, I present you with Movie Quiz number 108. :)

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_110.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
#2 -- I know this only because I happened to see that image on a movie review site.

#3 -- Absolute classic!

#4 -- Love it mainly because of the ending.

#8 -- Saw the names on a movie review site.

Others, no clue, no clue at all (which is so typical!).

Thanks, caff! I was wondering when the next one would be.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints ahoy!

#1: That's the Cobra Kai dojo in the screenshot. If that's not enough of a clue, (and really, it should be), maybe this will do the trick: In this 1984 flick, Mr. Miyagi shows Daniel that there is more to martial arts than violence, and perhaps the best way to solve the problem he has with the Cobra Kai bullies is by beating them in the All Valley Championship competition.

#2: If I'd shown the big name star in the screenshot, it would have made things too easy. So, instead, I present a scene with only Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, and a small portion of the movie title's namesake. Here's the story: As the Allies make their final push in the European Theater, a battle-hardened Army sergeant named Wardaddy commands his vehicle's five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines.

#3: In this 1959 classic, a millionaire (played by Vincent Price) offers ten thousand dollars to five people who agree to be locked in a large, spooky, rented house overnight with him and his wife.

#4: Two American college students on a walking tour of Britain are attacked by a lycanthrope that none of the locals will admit exists. The surviving student begins to have nightmares of hunting other humans, but then finds that his dead friend and other recent victims appear to him, demanding that he commit suicide to release them from their curse.

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_110_1-4.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
More hints!

#5: This movie's title character is a janitor who dreams of finding the parents that he lost at the Grand Canyon when he was an eight-year-old. As his wandering, misguided search takes him from one misadventure to another, he finds his way to Los Angeles, where a shock-jock brings him on his radio show to insult him. But as his life story unfolds on-air, jeers turn to cheers, and an entire captivated city tunes in to hear of his adventures.

#6: This sequel to a 1968 classic is the story of the escape of four people from an urban nightmare to a suburban nightmare. Following an ever-growing epidemic of zombies that have risen from the dead, two Philadelphia S.W.A.T. team members, a traffic reporter, and his television executive girlfriend seek refuge in a secluded shopping mall.

#7: Four tales of crime adapted from Frank Miller's popular comics, focusing around a muscular brute who's looking for the person responsible for the death of his beloved Goldie, a man fed up with the city's corrupt law enforcement who takes the law into his own hands, and a hitman looking to make a little cash. The fourth story, about a cop who risks his life to protect a girl from a deformed pedophile, is depicted in the screenshot.

#8: Follow a week in the life of a young folk singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961. Guitar in tow, huddled against the unforgiving New York winter, he is struggling to make it as a musician against seemingly insurmountable obstacles -- some of them of his own making.

I'll most likely be posting the answers tomorrow night.

movie-quiz_110_5-8.jpg

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Heeeey Cafff!!! I have run out of ideas on what movies to watch, and I thought "hey, go see if Caff is still doing movie quizzes!". LOL and here you are! I know 1,4,5 & maybe 8, but I'm not sure. I think I will go watch number 4 if I can find it, and I can't wait to find out what 3 is...looks like my kind of movie! (((hugs))) sorry I've been away so long!

Reactions: caffeinated

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Techno!! Great to see you, stranger! :)

I know I was supposed to get the quiz answers posted last night, but then me and Mrs. Caff got wrapped up binge-watching season 2 of Fargo. What began late Sunday morning as an intention to watch two or three episodes, ended up being a compelling, 13+ hour viewing marathon. By the time we finished the season, it was approaching 2:00am, and the need for sleep outweighed the need to post the quiz answers.

For what it’s worth, I can’t really make a blanket recommendation for Fargo. It’s oddball enough that it’s not going to please every palate. But, if you tend to like that sort of thing, I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Movie quiz answers coming tonight. Really. :)

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Season 2 of Fargo was awesome. I recently binged watched Mr. Robot and liked that. Saw it won award for (something along lines of) best new TV show. I liked Fargo season 2 more than Mr. Robot.

Though was a tad let down by the final episode of season 2. Was hoping for more than what was delivered, and yet the episode just before that had way way more than what I was hoping for.

Reactions: caffeinated

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: The Karate Kid
That's the Cobra Kai dojo in the screenshot. If that's not enough of a clue, (and really, it should be), maybe this will do the trick: In this 1984 flick, Mr. Miyagi shows Daniel that there is more to martial arts than violence, and perhaps the best way to solve the problem he has with the Cobra Kai bullies is by beating them in the All Valley Championship competition.

the-karate-kid_3_sm.jpg

#2: Fury
If I'd shown the big name star in the screenshot, it would have made things too easy. So, instead, I present a scene with only Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, and a small portion of the movie title's namesake. Here's the story: As the Allies make their final push in the European Theater, a battle-hardened Army sergeant named Wardaddy commands his vehicle's five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines.

fury_1_sm.jpg

#3: House on Haunted Hill
In this 1959 classic, a millionaire (played by Vincent Price) offers ten thousand dollars to five people who agree to be locked in a large, spooky, rented house overnight with him and his wife.

house-on-haunted-hill_4_sm.jpg

#4: An American Werewolf in London
Two American college students on a walking tour of Britain are attacked by a lycanthrope that none of the locals will admit exists. The surviving student begins to have nightmares of hunting other humans, but then finds that his dead friend and other recent victims appear to him, demanding that he commit suicide to release them from their curse.

an-american-werewolf-in-london_1_sm.jpg

#5: Joe Dirt
This movie's title character is a janitor who dreams of finding the parents that he lost at the Grand Canyon when he was an eight-year-old. As his wandering, misguided search takes him from one misadventure to another, he finds his way to Los Angeles, where a shock-jock brings him on his radio show to insult him. But as his life story unfolds on-air, jeers turn to cheers, and an entire captivated city tunes in to hear of his adventures.

joe-dirt_1_sm.jpg

#6: Dawn of the Dead
This sequel to a 1968 classic is the story of the escape of four people from an urban nightmare to a suburban nightmare. Following an ever-growing epidemic of zombies that have risen from the dead, two Philadelphia S.W.A.T. team members, a traffic reporter, and his television executive girlfriend seek refuge in a secluded shopping mall.

dawn-of-the-dead_3_sm.jpg

#7: Sin City
Four tales of crime adapted from Frank Miller's popular comics, focusing around a muscular brute who's looking for the person responsible for the death of his beloved Goldie, a man fed up with the city's corrupt law enforcement who takes the law into his own hands, and a hitman looking to make a little cash. The fourth story, about a cop who risks his life to protect a girl from a deformed pedophile, is depicted in the screenshot.

sin-city_4_sm.jpg

#8: Inside Llewyn Davis
Follow a week in the life of a young folk singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961. Guitar in tow, huddled against the unforgiving New York winter, he is struggling to make it as a musician against seemingly insurmountable obstacles -- some of them of his own making.

inside-llewyn-davis_1_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The ones I thought I knew, I got right.

Don't think I would've got 2 and 8 with multiple choice. Would've got 3, 5 and 6 with multiple choice.

Have very little desire to see Joe Dirt.

Of the ones I've not seen, which would people recommend the most:
- Fury
- House on the Haunted Hill
- Dawn of the Dead
- Inside Llewyn Davis

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Of the ones I've not seen, which would people recommend the most
Fury is pretty good, overall. There are a couple of memorable scenes, and the actors do a fine job in their roles. But, there's an undeniable cookie-cutter feel to the story that makes it a little predictable.

House on Haunted Hill is what it is: a classic 1950s horror movie which, like most horror from that era, doesn't hold up so well to the test of time. But, it's still entertaining, and I enjoyed watching it with my kids when they were about 12 and 9 years old, respectively.

Dawn of the Dead - I was pretty obsessed with this one when I was younger, and I've probably watched it close to 100 times. Maybe more. (Yes, seriously.) That's not to be taken as a ringing endorsement though; more like a guilty confession. :)

All that having been said, it's a good movie. The acting tends to be a bit amateurish, and the dialog is a little thin, but the story is very good. Plus, it's the film that pretty much set all the standards for future zombie movies and other gore-fests.

Inside Llewyn Davis is a Coen brothers movie, which is usually all I need to know. For me, while all of their films may not be brilliant, they all achieve levels of excellence. If you're familiar with the Coen's movies, you probably already know whether you generally like them or not. Apply that knowledge to Inside Llewyn Davis, and you have your answer. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread