Movies/TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
I have just got Amazon Prime soooo I feel like a whole new world has opened up. Im now watching Defiance - for my fellow sy fi buffs this is very good!!!!!

Defiance on the most part is very good. I need more info on the vale war, but they drop enough not to not get it. Ya notice how SyFy is getting a little more bold on their shows. I guess trying to keep up with FX and TNT is getting to them.

as weird as it sounds but I did a binge watch on CHARMED and Supernatural. I can't believe I enjoy Charmed as much as I did....

Supernatural was great to the 5th season (original end date) then hit and miss afterwards.

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
I watched all the charms and I did like those. I love Supernatural there were only a couple episodes that I hated. I didn't like the black and white one they. did at all. I really loved the won where DEAN was sared of everything. That was too funny. I think it picked back up last season.

Season 2 isn't included free on Prime and Im not paying so I will have to wait.

I just watched the second episode of Extant with Halle Berry I think it has a lot of potential.

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
NItFlix has them. Yes last season was pretty good. Enjoyed alot of eps the last two seasons. Dean as a dog, The Dorthy ep were both fun ones. Season 2 was a great follow up to season 1. Lots of good movements and back history. Not sure how next season is looking with demon Dean, but sounds like this one will not end soon.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
I have just got Amazon Prime soooo I feel like a whole new world has opened up. Im now watching Defiance - for my fellow sy fi buffs this is very good!!!!!
I'm in the process of dropping cable. I'm currently researching digital antennas and will hook that up to our Tivo, so we should get most (if not all) network stuff and will have full DVR capability. Will mostly miss Syfy, HBO, and BBC America (gotta have our Doctor Who!). Any thoughts on which services are better: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu? I don't want to spend an outrageous amount (that's part of the reason for dropping cable), so I'd like to get just one--or two at the most.

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
Both Netflix and Amazon are good. they had alot of the same stuff, but each has certain shows locked up. You should check each out to see if they have what you want. (Amazon has some HBO shows that you can watch, not sure how long after it first plays, like GOT) I really would not use Hulu plus (the paid version) unless you watch alot of network TV. They run shows soon after they play but besides that, the regular Hulu is free and better for me with the older stuff. Living in a rural area, an antenna would not work for us, so Amazon is a good thing with a basic 99cents an ep on most shows and I believe a little more for an HD version. Netflix is good for new movies on DVD and their library of shows. Plus, I should not say this but you know there are places where you can watch anything pretty close to after it is broadcasted......

As you have read, Big Moe and myself, plus most likely others have one or both of them and what I like is Binge watching a series, esp right before the next one starts. Did that with Supernatural before season 7. Rewatched Breaking Bad that way. That show was awesome without the week wait. Plus, all the old series they have. The Missus watched all of the Adams Family and the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show amoung other oldies but goodies...

ok, enough said. go check each out and see what works for you....

Good luck to you.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
Both Netflix and Amazon are good. they had alot of the same stuff, but each has certain shows locked up. You should check each out to see if they have what you want. (Amazon has some HBO shows that you can watch, not sure how long after it first plays, like GOT) I really would not use Hulu plus (the paid version) unless you watch alot of network TV. They run shows soon after they play but besides that, the regular Hulu is free and better for me with the older stuff. Living in a rural area, an antenna would not work for us, so Amazon is a good thing with a basic 99cents an ep on most shows and I believe a little more for an HD version. Netflix is good for new movies on DVD and their library of shows. Plus, I should not say this but you know there are places where you can watch anything pretty close to after it is broadcasted......

As you have read, Big Moe and myself, plus most likely others have one or both of them and what I like is Binge watching a series, esp right before the next one starts. Did that with Supernatural before season 7. Rewatched Breaking Bad that way. That show was awesome without the week wait. Plus, all the old series they have. The Missus watched all of the Adams Family and the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show amoung other oldies but goodies...

ok, enough said. go check each out and see what works for you....

Good luck to you.
Thanks, Tick. I know what you mean about "binge watching." We record entire seasons on our Tivo and then watch them all of a sudden, sometimes.

So, with Netflix, you pay a flat rate per month and get to stream what you want. How does Amazon's pricing work? You pay for AmazonPrime and then have to pay $0.99 or more for certain movies? How do you know what is free and what costs money? Why pay for Prime if you have to pay for streams anyway? Just trying to gauge the experience because it seems that Amazon would be more confusing (and expensive).

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
The site will let yu know what is pay and what isn't. Figure most new shows that are nat the time will be pay. older stuff free.
really before a new season starts. I check out if Amazon offers a season pass and if so the cost. The normal GOT last year ran 99 cents for the non HD version, so about 10 bucks while HBO cost a little more but is monthly. So I got GOTs on amazon and cut HBO from my cable.
If you have a pay channel on cable and only watch certain shows, then seeing if Amazon has it can save you money by letting you drop a service. The movies I already saw from Netflix or Redbox, and if I liked it alot, I can get the bluray or DVD. Now not all series are avail on either, then the internet is what happens next. smurks...

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
Hey, back to movies.

It's been forever since I last went to the movies, say 2005 but I am thinking maybe if the prices are not too high of seeing SIN CITY 2, in fact Sin City was the last movie I saw at a theater. I love the Black and white and Red way the it was filmed plus being A Frank Miller fan and having all the Sin City Comics helps. Yes, I am also a ex comic collector..

Nothing like an old grindhouse type of film.....
I loved me some Grindhouse movies as well...

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
My wife and I got an opportunity to see a movie a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to see Snowpiercer, but the shows were already sold out, so we ended up seeing Edge of Tomorrow. It was fun, but a couple of plot holes (particularly the end) bugged me. Still, that's what you get with time travel movies.

We couldn't believe how much the movie-going experience has changed. I still fondly remember the days when you could stroll up to the theater, pick a movie showtime (that wasn't sold out), and then purchase a reasonably priced ticket. This time around, our movie cost as much as our dinner and the pickings were slim because the theaters now have half the number of seats than they used to because each seat is bigger and the aisles are wider. Sure, having some extra room is nice, but everything sells out so fast--now you have to plot what you want to see with tactical foresight and purchase your tickets online (make sure you're a member of some club so that you can save $1 or $2!).

Grindhouse is always fun--but hard to watch with the kids around. :(

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
My husband and I really enjoy going. Its kind of a quick getaway not to long to have the older teenagers watch the younger kiddos. I have a lot I want to watch. We are having a anniversary weekend aug 8-10th . We go somewhere get a nice hotel room and go shopping, dinner, and movies all weekend. Pretty much just relax. I know Guardian of the Galaxy will be out. Looking forward to that. Believe it or not w have a 1.50 movie theatre close by.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary, Moe! My wife and I are a week behind you on August 17. Unfortunately, our kids are not old enough to leave at home by themselves, so a sitter (or some willing parents of our children's friends) are a necessary complication to any of our plans. I miss our cheap theater... I also miss our big, 70-millimeter, big-screen theater. It was always an event to attend: Star Wars movies just aren't the same on the smaller screens...

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
Congrats to both you Big Moe and Count on up coming anniversaries.

Yes, back when I had small kids, the drive in was the place to go. Big screen, little speaker in a metal box but still be able to enjoy the movies, yes 2 movies. heck my parents with 5 kids took 2 cars, one for them and one for us kids at the drive inn. Those were the days.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
I loved drive-ins! I went to the last one here (that I know of) before it closed almost 20 years ago. They were showing Jaws. By that time, the technology had been upgraded to tuning in to a weak AM signal. It was awesome! (I also remember falling asleep in the back of my mom's Plymouth when my parents would go to the drive-in; that had the little metal box.)

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary, Moe! My wife and I are a week behind you on August 17. Unfortunately, our kids are not old enough to leave at home by themselves, so a sitter (or some willing parents of our children's friends) are a necessary complication to any of our plans. I miss our cheap theater... I also miss our big, 70-millimeter, big-screen theater. It was always an event to attend: Star Wars movies just aren't the same on the smaller screens...

Congrats to you also!!!! I thankful Im past the days of trying to find a trusted sitter for the kids - it opens up a lot of free time.. We love Star Wars also!!!!!

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
I loved drive-ins! I went to the last one here (that I know of) before it closed almost 20 years ago. They were showing Jaws. By that time, thehad been upgraded to tuning in to a weak AM signal. It was awesome! (I also remember falling asleep in the back of my mom's Plymouth when my parents would go to the drive-in; that had the little metal box.)

I love drive-in also..... We still have one of those. Last year it was 18.00 for two movies. I sometimes fall asleep before the 2nd one ends. They still have the little metal boxes but you can use your car radio.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
Congrats to you also!!!! I thankful Im past the days of trying to find a trusted sitter for the kids - it opens up a lot of free time.. We love Star Wars also!!!!!
I actually have the distinction of having seen each movie on opening day (in San Diego, at least). The record was almost broken by Episode 3--I had made plans to see a movie with a friend (can't remember which), but he was late getting to the theater, Surprisingly, there wasn't much of a line for Star Wars (it was during the day and all the die-hards had lined up for the midnight showing), so we just walked in. Record intact! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread