Moving on from 1.5 ohm cartos and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinquapin

Feb 13, 2018
I've always used the smok 1.5 ohm xl cartomizer (which they no longer make) with an 18650 mechanical mod. I ordered an IPV 30 box mod that I assume will work with my remaining stash of cartos. Am I correct that it will work? Any idea about settings?

Once my supply of cartos are gone I’ll have to switch to some type of tank system and I have no clue what to choose. I need something with a similar vaping experience to the 1.5 ohm cartos. I also need something simple to use with easily replaceable coils. I’m not one to rebuild anything. I am at a complete loss so any advice is appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've always used the Smok 1.5 ohm xl cartomizer (which they no longer make) with an 18650 mechanical mod. I ordered an IPV 30 box mod that I assume will work with my remaining stash of cartos. Am I correct that it will work? Any idea about settings?
Yes, a cartomizer will still work. Settings-wise, start very low wattage and gradually work up until you find a "sweet spot". If it gets too warm or begins to taste burnt, back down a few watts.

Once my supply of cartos are gone I’ll have to switch to some type of tank system and I have no clue what to choose. I need something with a similar vaping experience to the 1.5 ohm cartos. I also need something simple to use with easily replaceable coils. I’m not one to rebuild anything. I am at a complete loss so any advice is appreciated.
Since you've been using cartomizers, you're used to what we call a tighter draw, or a MTL (mouth-to-lung) draw. Probably the most popular tank for MTL is the Aspire Nautilus. It comes in two sizes (Standard and Mini) and uses 1.6 and 1.8 ohm replacement coil heads which are easy to find almost anywhere. Both are bottom filled (upside down).

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
1.5 ohms at 4.2 volts unregulated is about 12 watts. So set your new mod somewhere south of 12 watts as Bad suggested and work your way up till you hit a happy place.

The tank Bad suggested is a great bit of kit, but if I was you I would go the whole hog and get a MTL RTA that you can rebuild. Perhaps someone could suggest a good one for you.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I use the Nautilus and Joye Exceed tank. The Exceed comes in 2 sizes so it's good if you like short. And it's top fill.

Any mod will do, mostly. Check the specs and make sure that the watts start as low as you like. Some mods only start @ 8watts which may be too high.

I had good success moving from yrs of cartos to the Nautilus.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    You can use your cartos, but it's smart you are asking about tanks. I'd think a MTL atomizer would probably do the trick. . There are lots of options, including the original nautilus, the Nautilus 2, and I joy elf (takes nautilus coils but fixes many N2 concerns including fill size easier topfill, better airflow options and etc. Could get a Kabuki clone from Fasttech, it also take N2 coils but provides far better flavor, but I would try the clone first to get a sense of if you'd like the original, it is expensive. A MTL tank that will take the Joytech CLR coils (1.0 resistance) like the Ego Mega One V2 might work out well as well. Those coils have longevity, great flavor, and can be rewicked and rebuilt very easily, so it saves on coil costs.

Best of luck

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Watched the Nautilus videos. How long does a coil last? Right now I go through one carto a week. Also thinking the mini might be best for me. Any reason to consider the larger one?
    Much depends upon the e-liquid you vape. Sweet and dark liquids are harder on coils. Expect a couple weeks minimum, up to 4 weeks max.

The only reason to choose the larger Nautilis would be for the larger capacity. Otherwise they are nearly identical using the same coil heads.

• Agree

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    One final question. Can I use the Nautilus mini on one of my 18650 mechanical mods? Hate to see those go to waste.
    If the coil is bad, as factory coils tend to at times, you have no protection. There is no short circuit protection on most mechs and most batteries that we use are also unprotected. At least ohm check it with a meter first.

oplholik

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
    I won't use a mech without some form of protection, such as a Reos with a collapsible spring, or my Gus mod that has a fuse that makes the connection between the atty and the battery. It's always a good idea as r77r7r said, to check the atty on a ohm checker first to make sure everything is ok.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Lucky for you there's a lot of MTL choices right now (8 months ago and you'd have been SOL).
    Current choices off the top of my head...
    1) Nautilus
    2) Vapefly Nicolas
    3) Eleaf Basal
    4) Wismec CB-60
    5) Innokin Enduras
    6) Innokin Zenith
    7) Vaporesso Drizzle

maybe more?
    I think that Jac Vapour has one, and Joye Exceed. And the GS Airs.

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 28, 2013
    Owasso, OK, USA
    both myself and my gf used the nauti, she started with my old one. we upgraded her to the zenith tank and she is happier than a pig in sh##. the coils last about 6 days for her @8-10 watts, and the flavor is great for a drop in coil. if you can still find the nauti tc coils they tend to last a bit longer, say 3 weeks, depending on use. but i think both innokin and aspire are moving away from tc drop ins. any of the kangertech tanks that use the ssoc coils are good in tc as well, but the tanks tend to be a bit more airy so they may not be up your alley.

Chinquapin

Feb 13, 2018
    I received my Ipv Mini and Aspire Nautilus Mini with 1.6 vertical coil. Set at 10 watts it is excellent. It reads 4.4 volts and 1.9 ohms. Don’t know why the ohms would change as it read 1.7 ohms when I put it on. Regardless it is working great.

I should have made this switch long ago. I ordered an Eleaf Pico as a I like the small size and I’ll use this as a back up.

Thanks for all the help.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I received my Ipv Mini and Aspire Nautilus Mini with 1.6 vertical coil. Set at 10 watts it is excellent. It reads 4.4 volts and 1.9 ohms. Don’t know why the ohms would change as it read 1.7 ohms when I put it on. Regardless it is working great.

I should have made this switch long ago. I ordered an Eleaf Pico as a I like the small size and I’ll use this as a back up.

Thanks for all the help.
    Yeah I waited too long myself and it's a great tank to move to from cartos. Glad that you made a smooth transition.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread