Mt. Baker Vapor is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fetalbounce

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
San Jose, CA
I've only been vaping for about a month now. The first juice I got was in a gift pack my friend sent me along with my Ego mini, and it was Mt. Baker Coffee flavor. When I ran out I went to the local vape shop and spent $15 on a 15 ml bottle of something new that tasted great, but not really all that much better than the Mt. Baker coffee I started with. I looked online and I could get a 235 ml bottle of the Mt. Baker for $40, so I ordered it. It came in two days.

Why would anyone pay $1 per ml, when they could pay less than 20 cents per ml? I can understand wanting variety, but that's one hell of a premium to pay for a different mixture of food flavoring added to the same nicotine commodity product. :glare:

fetalbounce

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
San Jose, CA
The way I look at it, is since we are already saving so much money over packs of smokes I don't mind paying whatever for e juice and would try and get the tastiest I could.

That being said, price != quality.

Thanks for being the first person to respond to my first thread! :)

One thing I've learned is that price only sometimes means quality. It usually does in a widespread mature market, but sometimes price just equals hype. Take wine, for example. You can get an awesome bottle for $12 and a shoddy bottle for $50.

I'm a total noob, so I'm not gonna try to pretend to be some expert or anything, but what goes into this stuff besides PG, VG, Nic, and some food flavoring? I don't pay $1 per ml for high-end shampoo. I don't pay $1 per ml for wine, whiskey, jam, or a whole lot of other things that seem to me like they are harder to produce than e-juice.

I think the $1 per ml price tag is just over the top. The future of this stuff is a downward price trajectory, in my very humble and uninformed opinion. This stuff should really be sold by the ketchup-sized bottle for ten or twenty bucks a pop.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I think the $1 per ml price tag is just over the top. The future of this stuff is a downward price trajectory, in my very humble and uninformed opinion. This stuff should really be sold by the ketchup-sized bottle for ten or twenty bucks a pop.

Under ordinary circumstances I'd probably agree with you, but in this case I think the future will impose a hefty tax on e-juice. You may very well be right that most of the more expensive vendors will end up charging less, but I doubt very much that we'll end up paying less when all is said and done.

That said, you make some very good points about the youth of the market. It's the Wild West out there. :)

And Mount Baker Vapor is awesome. :)

fetalbounce

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
San Jose, CA
Under ordinary circumstances I'd probably agree with you, but in this case I think the future will impose a hefty tax on e-juice. You may very well be right that most of the more expensive vendors will end up charging less, but I doubt very much that we'll end up paying less when all is said and done.

That said, you make some very good points about the youth of the market. It's the Wild West out there. :)

And Mount Baker Vapor is awesome. :)

Ooooh.... Taxes. You're probably right about that. If they start that crap I will definitely make my own juice. They can't tax the ingredients. ;)

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I started out with MBV during the time that they were out of their most popular flavors. I was really disgusted with my first order. I decided that >price = >quality so now I have twice the dollars in crappy e-juice. I am back at MBV and they are now my sole supplier. Sure they have some flavors that I don't like and one I tried was disgusting but I currently have more than 10 on my reorder list and I keep 30 ml bottles on hand. I have found that most of the MBV/Flavor West flavors require at least some steeping. I order ahead and don't touch them for at least two weeks. I did find the flavors to be a little weak but I now add two extra "flavor shots" to almost every e-juice. If you need a juice that you can vape today then MBV is probably not a good choice.

fetalbounce

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
San Jose, CA
I've been vaping for 2/12 years and I've tried a lot of juice from a lot of places, there are only about 5 juices that I've found that are worth premium prices all the rest are either just as good as mbv (and more expensive) or just slightly better and not worth the higher price.

That's what I suspected. I went through a couple of 15 mls that were in fancy little glass bottles with cool graphics, but they really weren't all that better than MBV's coffee flavor.

I want to try their bannas foster. That one looks like it might be tasty.....

Mattnatti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Yeah, I think you can tell who my favorite liquid supplier is.

f7a3a4ae5ee9b39d73a2b6651c3fed70.jpg

And another 4 bottles on the way. I usually place a order every week.

Mattnatti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Why don't you buy the biggest size bottles? That's the cheapest per ml price. Maybe you don't want that much of a single flavor..

The smaller bottles are me finding my favorite flavors and samples. I order my favorites in 30ml sizes for now. Different nic levels,pg/vg ratios and flavor shots also.

Plus, the really big bottles won't fit nicely in the top shelf of my vape box. ;)

Last edited:

fetalbounce

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
San Jose, CA
The smaller bottles are me finding my favorite flavors and samples. I order my favorites in 30ml sizes for now. Different nic levels,pg/vg ratios and flavor shots also.

Plus, the really big bottles won't fit nicely in the top shelf of my vape box. ;)

Lol. Well, that's a good enough reason.

The little nipples do snap off, so if you find a flavor you really like you can order the ketchup-sized bottle and fill the smaller one up from time to time. It comes with a ketchup squirting nozzle. ;)

Kaisen

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Ooooh.... Taxes. You're probably right about that. If they start that crap I will definitely make my own juice. They can't tax the ingredients. ;)

Yes, they can tax the ingredients!

Here in Minnesota, anything containing tobacco derived nicotine is taxed at 95%

So if I buy a bottle of Mt Baker Vapor at $5 online, I must write a check to the state for $4.75. Of course, that's a finished product.

If I wanted to order a liter of 100mg nicotine online for $100, I'd owe the state $95 in tax. And I can't legally bring that much in to the state of MN without being a licensed tobacco distributor (and tightly regulated).

Since nicotine is the most expensive component of e-liquid, you can bet that makes a big impact in its retail price. It's already happened here. It will likely happen in other states soon.

fetalbounce

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
San Jose, CA
Yes, they can tax the ingredients!

Here in Minnesota, anything containing tobacco derived nicotine is taxed at 95%

So if I buy a bottle of Mt Baker Vapor at $5 online, I must write a check to the state for $4.75. Of course, that's a finished product.

If I wanted to order a liter of 100mg nicotine online for $100, I'd owe the state $95 in tax. And I can't legally bring that much in to the state of MN without being a licensed tobacco distributor (and tightly regulated).

Since nicotine is the most expensive component of e-liquid, you can bet that makes a big impact in its retail price. It's already happened here. It will likely happen in other states soon.

Holy smokes, that's nuts. If the taxable part is the nic juice I'll just buy it in Mexico once a year by the gallon.

I'm not giving my abusive drunk Uncle Sam a single penny for nic juice.

Kaisen

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Holy smokes, that's nuts. If the taxable part is the nic juice I'll just buy it in Mexico once a year by the gallon.

I'm not giving my abusive drunk Uncle Sam a single penny for nic juice.

You can carry in up to $50 worth without paying the tax. That means you, yourself, in-person bought tobacco/nicotine items out of state and carried them back across the border with you. Anything more than $50 worth in any given month and you must disclose it and pay tax on it. If you do not, they can confiscate it no questions asked, and you face potential penalties. The laws went into affect here in MN this July (2013). I don't think that many vapers here know the laws. Most are non-compliant.

Like I said, you can bet other states will follow suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread