Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
South Jersey
I have this multimeter:

90899.gif

I know how to test an atty on it. I'm wondering how to test a battery on it, and how to test a battery charger on it.

I've plugged the black wire into the top hole, and the red wire into the middle hole. I assume that is right, since I was able to test attys with it.

I would appreciate any info.

Debbie

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
If you are using manual batteries or any device with a switch, it is better to use a second set of hands.

Connect your leads to the meter, red in red, black in black. Select Volts DC and chose the lowest setting. Place red lead in centre of batt where the atty connects, and touch the black against the threads. Have the second pair of hands press the batt switch and take your reading.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
On that particular meter, you do not want the lowest setting. You want the 20 volts DC setting. That will give you the most accurate reading for both batteries and chargers.

The black wire goes in the bottom (common) connector always, and the red goes into the middle (volts/ohms/mA) connector for both voltage and resistance readings.

On both the battery and charger connectors, the positive is in the middle, and the negative (common) is on the outside.

Last edited:

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Yes, it's fine. Just be very careful. It is pretty easy to slip with one of the probes and short out whatever you're measuring. At 3.7v and only a few hundred mA, there's not much chance of the probe welding itself in place, but you could easily fry either the battery or charger.

You don't need the battery on the charger to test it. In fact, I'm not sure how you would even go about testing it with the battery in place, since you would not be able to access the positive terminal that way.

Mia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
California
On that particular meter, you do not want the lowest setting. You want the 20 volts DC setting. That will give you the most accurate reading for both batteries and chargers.

The black wire goes in the bottom (common) connector always, and the red goes into the middle (volts/ohms/mA) connector for both voltage and resistance readings.

On both the battery and charger connectors, the positive is in the middle, and the negative (common) is on the outside.

Just curious, what is the top hole for, when would you use it? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread