Music?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
Everyone listens to it, but who here is an absolute dork about it like I am? What have you been listening to lately?

I've been way into Greg Cartwright's stuff lately, especially his recent stuff with Reigning Sound. I know he's from Nashville and there seems to be an influx of new members from there. Anyone a fan of Oblivians/Compulsive Gamblers?

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I am absolute dork ... I love pretty much everything ... R&B, HipHop, Punk Rock, Oldies, and even country ... LOL.

My current favorite song is below :)

YouTube - Just Like Me ft. T.I. - Jamie Foxx

OH MAN I had no idea Jamie Foxx was doing R&B. I mean, I knew that was his thing, but I didn't know he was now following through with it seriously. Awesome.

I love R&B, but the older stuff. And I LOVE rap. I'm a huge early 90's east coast and dirty south fan. Love me some Wu-Tang Clan, Smif-N-Wessun, Black Moon, Three 6 Mafia, Project Pat, DJ Screw, etc. LOVE chopped & screwed stuff of course.

frazzledglispa

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
Denver, CO
This is one of my favorite times of year for music. Everyone starts coming out with their yearly best of lists and I can catch up on all the great albums I missed out on hearing about - or never got around to buying. I went on a bit of a digital shopping spree last night - focusing on the folkier more acoustic side of things. Next week - electronics!

Last night I downloaded:

Fascinoma - Fascinoma
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
A Larum - Johnny Flynn
Asking For Flowers - Kathleen Edwards
Rook - Shearwater
Un Dia - Juana Molina

I haven't made my way through all of them yet, but so far me likey!

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
This is one of my favorite times of year for music. Everyone starts coming out with their yearly best of lists and I can catch up on all the great albums I missed out on hearing about - or never got around to buying. I went on a bit of a digital shopping spree last night - focusing on the folkier more acoustic side of things. Next week - electronics!

Last night I downloaded:

Fascinoma - Fascinoma
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
A Larum - Johnny Flynn
Asking For Flowers - Kathleen Edwards
Rook - Shearwater
Un Dia - Juana Molina

I haven't made my way through all of them yet, but so far me likey!

I'm really behind on music from 2008 unfortunately...

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I listen to an incredible amount of music. all different styles. but i guess my top three would be Sublime, The Beatles and Alkaline Tio

I was never into the two former (i hate third-wave ska and everyone and their grandmother loves the Beatles and I like them a bit too), but I was big on Alkaline Trio in high school. Now I can't stand them.

dtmack

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
tx
www.myspace.com
I was never into the two former (i hate third-wave ska and everyone and their grandmother loves the Beatles and I like them a bit too), but I was big on Alkaline Trio in high school. Now I can't stand them.

well i wouldn't really call sublime strictly ska as they mix many different types of music, ska being one of them, but reggae, punk, dancehall, hip-hop, acoustic being their other styles. But after buying Alkaline Trio's latest album and listening to Matt Skibas solo project the Heavens, i realize they're starting to get a little stale

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
well i wouldn't really call sublime strictly ska as they mix many different types of music, ska being one of them, but reggae, punk, dancehall, hip-hop, acoustic being their other styles. But after buying Alkaline Trio's latest album and listening to Matt Skibas solo project the Heavens, i realize they're starting to get a little stale

Well third wave ska is basically just ska revival with more punk influences. They're a third wave ska band by definition, and probably one of the first of that subgenre.

I used to love the first two Alkaline Trio albums. Now I can't listen to them anymore. And yeah, I heard their new albums are absolutely horrible.

phildo

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Iowa, USA
I just discovered the joys that are Nightwish and Groove Coverage. I have a thing for foreign metal and Nightwish are amazing. The cover songs that Groove Coverage does are pretty good too...Especially Poison, and Moonlight Shadow.

Also amazing: Ed Alleyne-Johnson. I played bass in a band for several years and always wanted to run an electric violin through effects pedals...the rest of the band thought it was a stupid idea...watch some of his videos on youtube...its amazing stuff and definitely NOT stupid.

Last edited:

phildo

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Iowa, USA
haha...my post looked like it was typed by a hooked on phonics dropout.

this is my fav video of Ed on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As

an amazing performance...

Here's a good one from Nightwish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UztEfwHt14

probably not everyone's cup of tea...but I love it.
They have a different singer now than the one in the vid...and most people hate her..but I like the new stuff as well as the the old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread