Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
That is why the government is against ecigs. However it does not explain why so many people agree with them.
That is a bit more complicated.

First, there is so much propaganda against vaping, it's hard for the average, uninformed non-vaper to NOT have a negative view of e-cigarettes.

Second, after so many years of anti-smoking propaganda, even many vapers believe that nicotine is harmful/extremely addictive, despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Third, people hate smokers, that hatred is taught young, and if it looks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Reactions: skoony

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
First, there is so much propaganda against vaping, it's hard for the average, uninformed non-vaper to NOT have a negative view of e-cigarettes.

Second, after so many years of anti-smoking propaganda, even many vapers believe that nicotine is harmful/extremely addictive, despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Third, people hate smokers, that hatred is taught young, and if it looks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Truth. It's easy for the anti's to gain public support and very difficult for the pro's to do the same. The #'s are stacked against us. At least for now. The general public is really only concerned about what effects them individually and will easily support decreasing personal liberty and freedom for others as long as it isn't theirs. Especially with a "duck" issue that is associated with smoking.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That video is excellent! It explains the problem exactly as I understand it. Bookmarked for future reference.

The fix and maybe the only way ecigs will survive the battle is to accept the fact that we will be taxed on juice. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but it's a fact of life that taxation is probably the only way that ecigs will be able to survive the battle between big tobacco, ecigs, and the states. They either roll the tax over to electronic cigarettes or kill the ecig by outlawing sales.

I hate facing the realism, but it looks like the safer alternative must be taxed or eradicated. Taxing juice appears to be the only way we can vape and be considered the true, safer alternative. Now that Big Tobacco has entered the market it's obvious that they also understand the problem. They will be taxed just because they are under the MSA. We will be taxed as the evil that steals money from the states since we are outside of the MSA.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
That is why the government is against ecigs. However it does not explain why so many people agree with them.
That is a bit more complicated.

That is simple to answer when you consider the political leadership we have had in this country for the last 6-7 years and the majority of the media that is biased towards that leadership:

sheeple3.jpg

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
The fix and maybe the only way ecigs will survive the battle is to accept the fact that we will be taxed on juice. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but it's a fact of life that taxation is probably the only way that ecigs will be able to survive the battle between big tobacco, ecigs, and the states. They either roll the tax over to electronic cigarettes or kill the ecig by outlawing sales.

I hate facing the realism, but it looks like the safer alternative must be taxed or eradicated. Taxing juice appears to be the only way we can vape and be considered the true, safer alternative. Now that Big Tobacco has entered the market it's obvious that they also understand the problem. They will be taxed just because they are under the MSA. We will be taxed as the evil that steals money from the states since we are outside of the MSA.

I have an imperfect knowledge of US history, having said that, isn't there a tradition of simply not accepting unreasonable taxes? Something about Tea and Boston Harbour? I'm not advocating dumping e-liquid into any body of water, but facts are facts and to me it is completely abhorrent to allow a "sin tax" on an activity that could arguably be considered a "virtue".

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
That is simple to answer when you consider the political leadership we have had in this country for the last 6-7 years and the majority of the media that is biased towards that leadership:

View attachment 426442

It is very simple. The majority has become completely self centered and could care less about others. I don't drink soda at all so they should tax all soda sales at 30%. I wonder if there will be any opposition from the same people who support destroying the ecigarette industry?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That video is excellent! It explains the problem exactly as I understand it. Bookmarked for future reference.

The only way to avoid this is to win the public over.

Which means winning over everyone you know.
And getting the mainstream media to recognize our plight.

Can we do that?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The majority has become completely self centered and could care less about others.
I thought there was a period in history where people cared about others.
Or maybe it has always been just a small percentage of people.

Do we, as a population, really care less about others than we used to?
I must admit that I'm not sure what's going on.

But still, I could swear it was with the help of friends and neighbors that people overcame obstacles.
Not so much with the help of Big Government.

I still give to charities, but maybe I'm just naive.
Perhaps better I spend that money on a shiny new car instead.
:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread