RDA Mutation X V4/X V4S owners: how is yours holding up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
My black Mutation X V4S is one of my daily RDAs. It gets heavy use and the paint looks terrible. That kind of stuff drives me crazy. Definitely not enough to stop using it, but it does make me cringe. I forget exactly when I got it but I think within the last 8 months.

I'm going to get a second one. I'll probably aim for another V4S but could maybe possibly deal with the original V4 and the four-post set up. I would be more inclined to do that if I knew that the good hex screws I use in my Twisted Messes might fit as opposed to the included screws... does anyone know the size of screw needed for the 4 post?

So, pretty simple question: what color X V4/S do you have, how long have you had it, and how is the finish doing? It appears my only choices for the V4S are black and stainless, so I'd be extra curious to know how the stainless ones are looking after decent use.

Two side questions: 1) Does anyone know if I get an original XV4 in a different color, could I use the cap on the XV4S and vice versa? And 2) does anyone have both the X V4/S and the X V5? Care to offer a comparison?

Reactions: Clark Kent

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I have the XV4 in copper, And the XV4S in Stainless, Stainless holds up the best, copper tarnishs quikly, I have the V2 and V3 in Black, now totally Stainless as most of the paint chipped off so I took of the rest. out of them all I prefure the V3 quite honestly. I really don't like the bottom airflow leakage ( I know if you wick it right and don't overfill) blah,blah, they are still prone to be messy. I was thinking of the V5, but have not got around to it yet. My Goon and Tsuami are my favorites right now. I usually have a rdta on most of he time for convience and they have been putting out some really good ones of late. as for screw size I am not sure cause they are not around at the moment. the V3 has those weird triangle hexs. I might be wrong but I think they are m 2.5x3mm. and also not sure about top caps, I imagine they would though.

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I honestly haven't had too many leakage problems with mine. I mean you already said it, wicking and not overfilling and whatnot. Just relaying my own experience. It's not like I've been 100% leak free but I've had more problems with a lot of other RDAs leaking, probably just because I've been more careful with filling the mutation.

I thought about the tsunami but eh, I think bottom-only airflow is just not for me. I like it sometimes which is another reason I do enjoy the v4(s), nice to have the option without being forced into it although I do understand it just begs for leaks. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but it probably does get about the most use tied with my velocity clone. Part of that is the builds that end up in there. I use some of my other RDAs for experimenting more than the mutation but almost always have a solid usable build that's not too wacky in there.

I've looked at the goon and want one but I only have a few devices it will fit on and overhang drives me nuts. I know there's a 22 coming out or is out but I have a couple of shurikens. Not that they're the same rda... I just think I mostly need to skip the $60 drippers while still stocking up. You never know with me though.

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
There are a few Clone goons out there that are not bad, not saying you should buy a clone or get in to that debate. but there are 22mm now too. if building is your thing they allow as much airflow as your mod or mech can handle, even a clone I got recentley I have to cut down to the lowest air setting is a lot of airflow for the larger coils I have built. The biggest draw back I have found with most of them is the whistle you get when closed down, at least with the ones I have. If you get a chance try the clone, and you might like it enough to spent the extra on a original.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I don't really have a problem with clones myself, also without getting into it too far. That's especially true if it's just to try out and possibly end up with the authentic, but yeah I usually don't have any problem with what other people want to buy. I'll get a clone if it has good reviews and I'm either considering the authentic or could simply never afford it. I could not afford an authentic Velocity and personally I don't feel the need to let my income disallow me to get to try a certain RDA when there is another option to do so... But I'll always go authentic given the ability, including expense. Anywho, getting deeper into it than I meant!

So yes that's not a bad idea. who does the best Goon clone?

Some places have the authentic for $50 which I would almost just get except I've never used a >22mm atty (well, one 23mm) and I want to see how it looks on my devices.

Last edited:

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
BTW check Vaporbeast for different colors of the MutationX V4, they have Blue,Black White, and a carbon fiber for 13.97, and you can get 10% of useing YEAHBABY, or TENOFF. free shipping on $35 and up, I have always had good luck with them. somtimes a little slower than normal shipping but usually pretty good.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I have v3, v4, v4 mini, and v5. I like the v3 the best. All of mine are stainless except the v4 mini which doesn't get much use. I really like the performance of the v5 but it is so damn huge. It just looks kinda silly on most of my mods.

My everyday beater was an Alliance v1. It was recently supplanted by the Sapor V2 25mm. Great RDA!

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
I have a V4 in the carbon fiber finish, looks great and has held up wonderfully (aside from the Mutation X logo wearing off). I have a V3 in black and the finish got chipped and beat up pretty quick. The carbon fiber is more like a wrap over the stainless steel rather that a painted finish, thats probably why it has held up so well. I recently got the V4s in stainless steel, I feel like that is the safest finish to go with in terms of holding up long term.
The V4 is my favorite rda personally, it just works perfectly for the way I like to build and vape. Right now I have a 0.5 ohm single twisted Clapton coil in there, side AF completely closed off and only the smallest bottom AF hole open. This gives me a nice restrictive draw and incredible flavor. Running it with a single coil with the smallest air hole open, I have little to no leaking problems. IMO, the three hole design of the V4 is better than other bottom air flow attys if you like to really close of the airflow like I do because you are closing off both the inside and the outside holes. When you close the AF off on attys such as the freakshow and the tsnami, you are only closing it on the outside, so not only are you not closing off the AF as much as you "should" be, you are just as prone to leaking as someone vaping it wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread