Muted flavor Zeus X RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
Hi all!

I recently bought the Zeus X RTA after I have been using the Freemax Mesh Pro with the dual kanthal coil. The Zeus X is my first RTA, but as suprised as I was of the flavor from the Mesh Pro, as disappointed I am now about the flavor of the Zeus X. I have watched a lot of Zeus X wicking tutorials and I think I have done a decent build (Will upload photo of the wicking later today). But the flavor is very muted for me, and I am experiencing throat hit as well, which I didn't have with the Mesh Pro.

Is there something which I might have forgot or must do in order to enhance the flavor? I am new to RTA's so maybe it is the coils, maybe it is the brand of the cotton or the wrong wicking method or maybe even the voltage... I have no idea at the moment.

Configuration:
- vaporesso Luxe S in Wattage mode (65-75W)
- The two coils included with the Zeus X
- XFKM Cotton Gemoh

Liquids:
- Rainbowvapes Forest Fruit (80VG-20PG - 3MG)
- Twelve Monkeys Matata (75VG-25PG - 3MG)

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The throat hit and the muted flavor make it Sound like it’s running hot and dry. So a wicking AND a power problem. Or just a wicking problem if it’s bad enough. Did you look at the coil and make sure it was staying wet?

Also it’s not mesh, I don’t think anyway. Iirc (which I might not be)the Zeus x is dual standard coil. Mesh is new tech, and it’s become popular for a reason. Mesh has advantages and disadvantages, but the advantages are often in vape quality. Disadvantages include heating element lifespan, general fiddlyness, immense cotton requirements, and hot spot issues. They only run well if they’re set up just right. Coils are more forgiving, versatile, and simple.
if the mesh is running right and the regular coil isn’t you're going to get a much better vape from anything mesh. If the mesh isn’t running right the vape will be utterly horrid.
A doom RTA would probably have been a better comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: MacTechVpr

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
The throat hit and the muted flavor make it Sound like it’s running hot and dry. So a wicking AND a power problem. Or just a wicking problem if it’s bad enough. Did you look at the coil and make sure it was staying wet?

Also it’s not mesh, I don’t think anyway. Iirc (which I might not be)the Zeus x is dual standard coil. Mesh is new tech, and it’s become popular for a reason. Mesh has advantages and disadvantages, but the advantages are often in vape quality. Disadvantages include heating element lifespan, general fiddlyness, immense cotton requirements, and hot spot issues. They only run well if they’re set up just right. Coils are more forgiving, versatile, and simple.
if the mesh is running right and the regular coil isn’t you're going to get a much better vape from anything mesh. If the mesh isn’t running right the vape will be utterly horrid.
A doom RTA would probably have been a better comparison.

You might be right on the power problem. As I mentioned, I'm new to RTA's and I think I have missed something... I've turned 'Auto Mode' on in the settings, which I believe sets the voltage my mod thinks is the best one. I have also turned my wattage lower to 50W. The throat hit isn't there anymore, but the flavor didn't get much better yet, maybe after a few more vapes.

So if it's a voltage or power problem, then I guess I shouldn't use wattage mode..?

Thank you!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You might be right on the power problem. As I mentioned, I'm new to RTA's and I think I have missed something... I've turned 'Auto Mode' on in the settings, which I believe sets the voltage my mod thinks is the best one. I have also turned my wattage lower to 50W. The throat hit isn't there anymore, but the flavor didn't get much better yet, maybe after a few more vapes.

So if it's a voltage or power problem, then I guess I shouldn't use wattage mode..?

Thank you!
You believe falsely I suspect. Auto mode and wattage mode should be different. Something is messed up in your description.
There are a couple kinds of auto mode. If you’re referring to TC that’s a whole other kettle of fish you need to read about, you can’t TC with kanthal at all. The other newer much less common kind of auto only works with certain brand specific coil cartridges. Most mods don’t even have a new version auto mode at all. What mod are you using?

In any case It won’t do squat with an RDA. As to wattage I personally rarely vape anything above 30w. Always start low and work up. Coil cartridges generally run at higher wattages than RTAs.

Reactions: DeloresRose

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
You believe falsely I suspect. Auto mode and wattage mode should be different. Something is messed up in your description.
There are a couple kinds of auto mode. If you’re referring to TC that’s a whole other kettle of fish you need to read about, you can’t TC with kanthal at all. The other newer much less common kind of auto only works with certain brand specific coil cartridges. Most mods don’t even have a new version auto mode at all. What mod are you using?

In any case It won’t do squat with an RDA. As to wattage I personally rarely vape anything above 30w. Always start low and work up. Coil cartridges generally run at higher wattages than RTAs.

I might have stated the auto mode wrong, but I thought I read somewhere on Reddit that it changes the voltage. I own the Vaporesso Luxe S and this is what the manual states:

Auto mode

Based on the three VW modes, with the Auto mode on, it will adjust between VW H/N/S automatically to ensure best flavor and cool vaping from the very first puff to the last

How to enable it: System Menu > SET > AUTO ON/OFF

I probably also turned the wattage way too high because the mod would continue producing vapor even 3 seconds after releasing the button.

The mode I am currently using is the variable wattage mode, and I run it on normal at the moment.

I'm going to try out some lower wattages and see what it does with the flavor. At least the throat hit got solved now.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I might have stated the auto mode wrong, but I thought I read somewhere on Reddit that it changes the voltage. I own the Vaporesso Luxe S and this is what the manual states:
not a fan of reddit myself
What are amps, watts, volts and ohms?
Auto mode

Based on the three VW modes, with the Auto mode on, it will adjust between VW H/N/S automatically to ensure best flavor and cool vaping from the very first puff to the last

How to enable it: System Menu > SET > AUTO ON/OFF
reading that I notice it’s using VW not VV. That’s wattage not voltage.
I probably also turned the wattage way too high because the mod would continue producing vapor even 3 seconds after releasing the button.
often that’s residual coil heat. Something mesh doesn’t have as much of an issue with because it’s low mass. You got high mass exotic coils in there?
The mode I am currently using is the variable wattage mode, and I run it on normal at the moment.

I'm going to try out some lower wattages and see what it does with the flavor. At least the throat hit got solved now.
With DL high flavor comes from high juice usage.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I generally don’t use the coils that come with any RBA because I am too lazy to track down the specs, which are often not given. And I like to try them with the same as I’m using in other tanks at the time, a more apples to apples comparison.

Sounds like you’re getting the wattage close to where it needs to be, and I’d suspect if you thin the tails a bit more it would help the wicking.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
These are photos of current wicking. Going to do rewicking anyway, and see if more cotton + fluffing it out more helps in terms of flavor.

Attachments

• DF6190EF-84E4-49C5-8291-3EA5C46ABE93.jpeg
    DF6190EF-84E4-49C5-8291-3EA5C46ABE93.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,018
  • 916F22A6-55C4-4CC5-9E80-9B80CE653880.jpeg
    916F22A6-55C4-4CC5-9E80-9B80CE653880.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 936
  • 5F6BF5DB-E7B7-4A9F-8E35-BD531EE68AC4.jpeg
    5F6BF5DB-E7B7-4A9F-8E35-BD531EE68AC4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 950

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
New attempt

Update: Vaping at 30W at the moment, using a new flavor for me: Rainbowvapes Red Berry Blast (80VG - 20PG - 3MG) and I must say the flavor is still very disappointing...

Attachments

• 97D3A7AF-4AF4-449D-9E6A-231BC9F7B96F.jpeg
    97D3A7AF-4AF4-449D-9E6A-231BC9F7B96F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 496
  • 739B9388-0A6C-46E8-89A7-9D26F6CE728D.jpeg
    739B9388-0A6C-46E8-89A7-9D26F6CE728D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 457
  • 35B5C963-4901-4F3D-B42D-4BA46A13C329.jpeg
    35B5C963-4901-4F3D-B42D-4BA46A13C329.jpeg
    711.4 KB · Views: 441
  • B5939E66-F960-4852-8498-E4B90C98FA46.jpeg
    B5939E66-F960-4852-8498-E4B90C98FA46.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 447
Last edited:

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
not a fan of reddit myself
What are amps, watts, volts and ohms? reading that I notice it’s using VW not VV. That’s wattage not voltage.
often that’s residual coil heat. Something mesh doesn’t have as much of an issue with because it’s low mass. You got high mass exotic coils in there?

With DL high flavor comes from high juice usage.

I am currently using the coils that came with the Zeus X. Those are N80 Fused Clapton coils (28ga*3+40ga) 0.4 Ohm /NiChrome.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I just got a black Zeus X RTA yesterday.
I used the included coils & wick. I use 2mg/ml Max VG DIY ~80VG
I combed the wicks and built them basically the same as Rip, Mike, Matt, Vic, I forget who else.
First Rip video I watched in 5 years and if I watch another within 5 it'll be too soon but he can build.
This thing cranks and cranks at 75W, 85W, I cranked it at 120W for a few and it kept up but yikes!
I settled on 65W for now for the best flavor vs heat.
I use 69W on my Zeus X subohm (mesh) and 62W-64W with Aero/Cerberus Supermesh .2Ω
I'm spoiled on mesh's coolness but this hits great with good flavor and impressive clouds.
I ordered a gold one a little while ago while I still can (Massachusetts) because I like it that much.

I don't know what's harshing your build but figure it out and enjoy. This RTA is a winner.

• Agree
Reactions: Pigs

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
I combed the wicks and built them basically the same as Rip, Mike, Matt, Vic, I forget who else.
First Rip video I watched in 5 years and if I watch another within 5 it'll be too soon but he can build.
This thing cranks and cranks at 75W, 85W, I cranked it at 120W for a few and it kept up but yikes!
I use 69W on my Zeus X subohm (mesh) and 62W-64W with Aero/Cerberus Supermesh .2Ω
I'm spoiled on mesh's coolness but this hits great with good flavor and impressive clouds.
I ordered a gold one a little while ago while I still can (Massachusetts) because I like it that much.

I don't know what's harshing your build but figure it out and enjoy. This RTA is a winner.

i finally managed to get optimal flavour out of this tank, although I still purchased the Kylin V2 since people claim it is a flavor beast. And they are right! What an insane flavor!! But however I wick that thing I keep getting spitback which shouldn’t be there.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
i finally managed to get optimal flavour out of this tank, although I still purchased the Kylin V2 since people claim it is a flavor beast. And they are right! What an insane flavor!! But however I wick that thing I keep getting spitback which shouldn’t be there.
Increase wattage. Will vaporize more of the liquid in your wicking and keep it from being oversaturated. Tighter wicking in coil helps with spitting as well.

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
Increase wattage. Will vaporize more of the liquid in your wicking and keep it from being oversaturated. Tighter wicking in coil helps with spitting as well.

That is what I though as well. I increased from 65W to 100W+ and the flavor increased, but so did the spitback as well.

I have tried thinning ends, short and long tails, no thinning at all and I also tried to stuff it in there. Nothing seems to help. My first 6-8 puffs are always great without any spitback, but after those 8 puffs it’s just insane.

I have also tried different type of clapton coils, but it changes the spitback only a little bit...

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia

I agree.
I've been running the Zeus X for a couple of months now with dual Game Over Ni80 Aliens - resistance of about 0.21 Ohms. I normally drive that at just under 80W
This is the best flavour from a top airlfow RTA I've ever had. It's consistent and bullet proof. Buy 5 and never need another.

Reactions: Mowgli

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
New attempt

Update: Vaping at 30W at the moment, using a new flavor for me: Rainbowvapes Red Berry Blast (80VG - 20PG - 3MG) and I must say the flavor is still very disappointing...
Too much cotton. I never have my wicks that bulky in the Zeus X. I never get spitback and the flavour is great. You need to vape this RTA at higher wattage to get decent flavour. Between 60 an 90 W probably best with those coils IMO

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I am currently using the coils that came with the Zeus X. Those are N80 Fused Clapton coils (28ga*3+40ga) 0.4 Ohm /NiChrome.
There's your problem. The stock coils are included only for completeness. They're too wimpy to actually use. I've found the F207 0.28ohm fused claptons are a substantial improvement, driven at 90W.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
New attempt

well, maybe all is related to coils... the provided coils on RTA's is something i didnt take on count, never use'em, i rather my own ones, coilology wire, 5 wraps, 0.25 dual.. i really like my zeus X, gotta confess that i prefer my Creed RTA or themis dual cover over zeus X, since the best zeus for flavor for me is zeus single...
Zeus sub: well, the best flavor was reached at 73W, with cerberus, well, the cerberus that comes with aegis solo works amazing on 60-65W mark, but the cerberus that comes with the new mesh crap coils is amazing at 75W,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread