Mvp 2 numbers confusion for NT liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonflie

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Hello peeps...

I've had the MVP for awhile now, but there are still things I don't understand. It didn't matter so much before, but now that I'm building my own coils its becoming more important to me, and I knew that this was the correct forum in which to ask!

I know only basics about ohms law, just enough to know that the numbers are all related. What confuses me is that I'm getting conflicting answers concerning the max wattage output of this device.

I understand that you can set wattage up to 11w. But what if you build a 1.3 to 1.5 ohm coil and set the voltage? Are you getting more wattage out of it based on ohms law, or is there some other limiter in the device that will Max the wattage to 11w?

These questions are really all about being able to get the best flavor out of my device for NT liquids. So far it seems they taste much better for me when they're hotter. So given that... I have been vaping acb on a 1.4 ohm coil, switching between 11w in wattage mode, and 4.6v in voltage mode. I felt certain that I could tell a difference, but I'm second guessing myself!

So peeps, if I want to pump out the most flavor from NT in a kayfun on the mvp2, what is the best coil build for me to use? Ohms, that is.

Thanks!

Sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
I'll let this thread run as it is directly related to your expectations for the enjoyment of the wonderful juices of NT, next time make the title related to Nicoticket to keep it from being moved out of the sub... ;)

To answer your question you can play with the watts OR the volts but not both because a x.x ohm coil at x.x watts will equal x.x volts and same for ohms+volts=watts. And yes, ohms law all over. :D

dragonflie

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
I'll let this thread run as it is directly related to your expectations for the enjoyment of the wonderful juices of NT, next time make the title related to Nicoticket to keep it from being moved out of the sub... ;)

To answer your question you can play with the watts OR the volts but not both because a x.x ohm coil at x.x watts will equal x.x volts and same for ohms+volts=watts. And yes, ohms law all over. :D
Huh? Confused, isn't this thread in the NT forum? That is where I intended to post it.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
Huh? Confused, isn't this thread in the NT forum? That is where I intended to post it.

Nope, you're right on that but if another mod sees the title about MVP 2 and confusion they may move it to another part of the general forum. ;)

A title like "How would you best enjoy your NT?" then outlining your detailed question in the first post would be better...

I almost moved your thread till I read your question.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
Well.. With all due respect, I'll do my best, but I honestly hope that doesn't happen. I post fairly exclusively in this forum now because I really like the people here.

I'm hoping it won't. It is a question for the NT vaping folks and should stay here! :)

DaBucs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2013
Orlando, Fl
Hello peeps...

I've had the MVP for awhile now, but there are still things I don't understand. It didn't matter so much before, but now that I'm building my own coils its becoming more important to me, and I knew that this was the correct forum in which to ask!

I know only basics about ohms law, just enough to know that the numbers are all related. What confuses me is that I'm getting conflicting answers concerning the max wattage output of this device.

I understand that you can set wattage up to 11w. But what if you build a 1.3 to 1.5 ohm coil and set the voltage? Are you getting more wattage out of it based on ohms law, or is there some other limiter in the device that will Max the wattage to 11w?

These questions are really all about being able to get the best flavor out of my device for NT liquids. So far it seems they taste much better for me when they're hotter. So given that... I have been vaping acb on a 1.4 ohm coil, switching between 11w in wattage mode, and 4.6v in voltage mode. I felt certain that I could tell a difference, but I'm second guessing myself!

So peeps, if I want to pump out the most flavor from NT in a kayfun on the mvp2, what is the best coil build for me to use? Ohms, that is.

Thanks!

you can play with the watts and volts, but the mvp2 is limited by the amps. if I am correct its 3amps

so a 1.5 ohm coil at 3 amps would produce volts would max at 4.5v or 13.5watts ( the documentation says 3amps, but might be actual 2.7amps which would max at 1.5ohm produces 4.05 volts or just under 11 watts)

handy dandy calculator:
Ohm's Law Calculator

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
Hello peeps...

Thanks!

In wattage mode, the voltage is decreased if you resistance of the atomizer is decreased... Wattage mode should be named easy mode, it's like autopilot.... It does the calculations for you and adjusts the voltage accordingly. As far as the difference between 11w on 1.3ohms,and 11w on say... 2ohms... I he lower resistance head will get hotter, faster.

Sent from my Verizon SM-N910v Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk 4 Pro

mitro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
IL
Here's a dirty little secret: The MVP2 never gets to 11 watts. I measured it many different ways and rarely saw it hit 10 watts when set to 11. It all depends on the resistance of the atty. Set in voltage mode the story is much the same. Whatever voltage you set it to is only achievable IF you are asking for no more than 10 watts. There's no way to cheat the system. :p

The sweet spot (to get the most power) requires a resistance in the 1.8 to 2 ohm range. If you build at 1.5 ohms and below, you may top out as low as 8 watts. For my taste, I wouldn't use 28ga to build anything destined for the MVP. All that metal heats up very slowly with 10 watts or less. I found that a 30ga/2mm/8wrap coil is about as good as it can get on the MVP. I'm sure there are many people who prefer something else, but that got me closest to what I felt was the best the device could give me (without getting into twisting even smaller gauge wire).

Last edited:

dragonflie

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Here's a dirty little secret: The MVP2 never gets to 11 watts. I measured it many different ways and rarely saw it hit 10 watts when set to 11. It all depends on the resistance of the atty. Set in voltage mode the story is much the same. Whatever voltage you set it to is only achievable IF you are asking for no more than 10 watts. There's no way to cheat the system. :p

The sweet spot (to get the most power) requires a resistance in the 1.8 to 2 ohm range. If you build at 1.5 ohms and below, you may top out as low as 8 watts. For my taste, I wouldn't use 28ga to build anything destined for the MVP. All that metal heats up very slowly with 10 watts or less. I found that a 30ga/2mm/8wrap coil is about as good as it can get on the MVP. I'm sure there are many people who prefer something else, but that got me closest to what I felt was the best the device could give me (without getting into twisting even smaller gauge wire).
And your post is the crux of the issue of my confusion lol.

If it's within the amp range why can't it get above 11? Why would they have the option of adjusting voltage to 5? Hope I'm not sounding stupid here.

Gah. I just want to know what these juices would taste like at 15w or so without blowing my face up with something unregulated. Would my impending istick purchase allow me to do this? And then of course the MVP 3 when it releases lol.

The MVP2 only fires at max Amps at the low end of its fireable resistance range. pbusardo has done a review with charts and graphs and 8x10 color glossy photographs (maybe not the color glossy photographs :blink: )
To get it to fire at max power (11 Watts) you need to build at 1.8 to 2.2 ohms. With 28awg wire that is WAY too much mass and the vape sucks, takes too long to heat up (personal experience). For this and the VV3 I build at 1.8 with 30awg kanthal A1 on a 1.7mm mandrel, I use rayon wick. This has given me the best vape so far with kayfun style devices and these mods. YMMV

I

mitro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
IL
And your post is the crux of the issue of my confusion lol.

If it's within the amp range why can't it get above 11? Why would they have the option of adjusting voltage to 5? Hope I'm not sounding stupid here.

You're certainly not being stupid. The main reason requires a lot of techo mumbo jumbo that would make most people more confused. The basic idea requires you to understand that a VV/VW device is made of two "circuits": the battery powering the electronics, and the electronics powering the atty. The amp limit is imposed on the battery side, not the atty side. If you want the full version I'd be happy to explain it further in PMs. I may end up putting it in a blog because this subject comes up frequently and is not understood by the majority of vapers (or "experts", or even mod makers). :p

Also, it just doesn't quite do what it claims. I'm not aware of any "budget" mod that does. Perhaps any mod in general...except the (al)mighty Provari and REO, of course. :)

Gah. I just want to know what these juices would taste like at 15w or so without blowing my face up with something unregulated. Would my impending istick purchase allow me to do this? And then of course the MVP 3 when it releases lol.

The iStick will give you 15 watts. No doubt. Just set it for 10 watts.

(You see, the iStick is overpowered. Its a joke. Maybe it's not a very good one if it requires explanation, but a joke nonetheless.:?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread