MXJO Yellow 30A 1600mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...just a 21A battery but 2100mAh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased with funds donated by the vaping community for the purposes of testing. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is an overrated and rewrapped cell which I am rating at 21A. Its capacity is significantly over its rating though, 2100mAh, which makes me wonder if a different cell was originally used. At 30A continuous it reached 94°C, much too hot to be its true rating.

The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Comparison to VTC4
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached about 1950mAh. This is much too high for a 1600mAh cell but is good performance for a 2100mAh cell so I am rating this cell at 2100mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 62°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 75°C. This is just below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating near its true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 85°C. This is a few degrees above the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) and is an indication that we are operating above its true rating.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 94°C. This temperature is ridiculously high and clearly indicates this is not a 30A cell.
    • I am setting a CDR of 21A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 21A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread