My 1st e-cig (901b)......initial impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Hey folks...

My first e-cig arrived today. A nice shiny black 901. This is not a review per se, but more a rambling collection of thoughts and observations.

Everything arrived as advertised, in good condition, and it was a prompt delivery. Thanks to Phil at e-smokey treats!

Now, since this is my first e-cig I don't have anything to compare it to. Also, I'm not an experienced vaper, so please bear with me...

The sheet that came with my cig recommended charging the battery for 3 to 4 hours prior to vaping, but after about 1.5-2 hours the light was green so I went ahead and connected the atomizer.

The cart I started with was labled 'regular high'....the first pull was quite good. Alot of vapor and I actually really liked the taste. I have heard many people say they don't care for the tobacco flavors but I liked it alot.

The next few pulls were also excellent.....good vapor, nice taste. Enjoying it very much so far!

After the first few drags though (about 7-10), it seems I need to work alot harder to get a good hit off it. Instead of a small primer puff I need to take a good 3 primers before getting nice vapor. I'm assuming this is due to the cart drying out but again, being such a noob I don't really know.

Now, I'm sure there is a solution to this, and I'm sure I'll be able to find it once I dig through some old posts here, but if anyone has a quick tip off the top of their head it'd be much appreciated.

I also bought a bottle of e-liquid which will be coming in the mail within a few days. I purchased this a few days AFTER the initial purchase when I learned that 10 cartridges most likely would not last very long. I'm sure I can top off the existing carts and I should be set for a little while....I think lol.

So now I've used 2 carts of 'regular high' and it looks like at this rate I'll be finished with my first 10 carts by tomorrow lol. If I had to judge how many analog cigarettes each cart has been equal to so far, I'd have to say 2-3.....maybe 1-2. Is this normal?

Overall, I'd say I like the experience very much. I can easily see this being a replacement for analogs. I'm just hoping I can find a way to make the carts last longer and give more consistent vapor. It's a learning process I'm sure.....

Thoughts?

Thanks for listening!

-Cal

davidl11

Feb 25, 2009
the charger thing is weird with the DS1's. Basically when the light goes green the battery is still trickle charging. This is important because if you leave it on the charger too long you'll kill your battery. However, you should leave it on for 8 hrs generally for the initial charge, even though the light is green. I don't understand it since these are supposedly lithium ion batteries it shouldn't matter, but for some reason the batteries sometimes act weird pretty quickly if you don't do it. The 901 cartriges are small, but I'd say they should last longer than 2 cigarettes, 6 is about normal, you can refill them though. I always found the pull on them to be kinda annoying, I prefer a classic penstyle personally. Bestecig.com has a good deals, atomizers tend to go at random times, it's important to have back up gear. Batteries are better, but they too just stop working every so often. Overall though, once you get use to them, they're great. I live in miami where I use to pay $2.50 a pack so I don't think I'm saving much money, but I think it's pretty close to break even.

xMarlboroMan

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Hey Calaban,

I was in the same boat you were only just a few weeks ago. And I'll tell you what... carts are a joke! Plus I think the dse901s are poorly designed in the cart area. I too found that the vapor significantly decreased rapidly. The 901s never seem to pull all the liquid out of the cart. (You and observe this if you pull the foam out with needle nose pliers. Try turning the foam around.)

If you look at the 901 cart, the mouth piece bypasses the foam, so you are not actually sucking thru the liquid, you are sucking past it. I have a 801 and the form sits between the mouth piece and the atomizer, so when you inhale you are pulling the heat thru the foam and the liquid.

Don't fret... there is a remedy. And I think you will agree when you get your e-liquid. I too didn't order any liquid with my 901, so I was stuck with 10 crappy carts also... thank goodness I ordered liquid soon after my ecig order. Dripping the liquid right on the atomizer is the way to go.... it hits hard! You can also add a few drops to the foam to give you a bit more puffs. Dripping for me only gives you about 10 really good drags, then it petters out, but you can just drip 2 more on there and away you go. My 801 seems to use 2 drips more effeciently than my 901. I probalby get 20-30 good drags off 2 drips on my 801... go figure. For some reason though, I perfer my 901... might just be the size difference... I dunno.

Anyway, Good luck!

L8r, Andrew

ritalee76

ECF Veteran
Those cartridges don't seem to last me very long either...

To get you through, you could try squeezing the juice out of the cart by putting it in a medicine syringe and squeezing the remaining juice into a cleaned out container.... Adding some food grade glycerine can help extend it even further. Drip that onto your atomizer and pray for the post man :)

xoxo
Rita

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Update!

Thanks for all your advice, good people.

I'm happy to say that I'm getting the hang of this methinks :D

My first bottle of e-juice came today from e-smokeytreats.com.....Thanks for the speedy delivery Phil!

Since my carts were causing me some grief, I decided to drip a few drops (Camel High) into the batting. I took a puff and....wow! Just like new. I am simply loving it :)

Now, being a complete newbie, and not yet really knowing what I am doing, I just dripped the Camel juice into a drying out but not quite empty cart of Coffee flavor lol.
The results were just fine....plenty of vapor and a nice strong throat hit!

It's a good thing too, because before I checked my mailbox I almost reached for the half empty pack of Camel Lights that has been sitting on my kitchen table, untouched, since I got my e-cig yesterday. My e-smoking experience, while being interesting and overall very good, was not really satisfying me after the first few drags on a cart.

But after I dripped, forget it! I didn't bother with the analogs because my 901b e-cig was renewed and working like a charm!! I swear these e-cigs are going to save my life! :D:D:D:D:D

So thanks to everyone on this forum and all the info here!!

Peace!

-Cal

Zebra

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
USA
I just got my first kit from e-smokey treats. I ordered the pen style, but I think I may have received a mini. The battery life seems to be awfully short. I did order enough juice to last me until the next century......I wasn't sure how much I'd need. LOL! I have smoked for 40 years and have never been able to quit, despite numerous attempts. I've been through every quit smoking device known to man. I am delighted to say that I have not had a cig since I got this little device. Never thought it would happen. So I have great faith that this little beauty will finally get me off analogs.

Hey Calaban! I have had my 901 from same supplier for over a week and no issues other than the 901 carts. Here is what i found : the JANTY DURA carts fit the 901 pretty well and they hold a lot of juicy!! I am a mild/moderate toker and NO LIE, the one cart lasted about 3 days. No fill! Flavor was real good as well. I am only using the Janty carts now and I love 'em. No need to fill or drip like the 901 carts. Give it a shot!!

BrenYngOne

Mar 4, 2009
S Florida
Total newbie here as well, I was torn between Wicked platinum and smokey treats 901, but Smokey treats won me over because of the 3 month warranty, and the fact that the starter pack comes with 2 batteries and 2 atomizers vs Wickeds starterpack with only 1 atomizer, Cant wait to start Vaping! ......now I need to know ....Where can I go to get the Janty Dura Carts?

Zebra

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
USA
Okay, I've been e-smoking for about 10 days now. I also have a mini from e-Smokey Treats. I take about 8-9 drags (maybe more) and then the cart seems to fizzle out. I always keep a bottle of juice in my pocket or purse and I just pull it out and put 4 drops on top of the cart and puff away again. It takes a while to figure these devices out, put you will feel like an old pro in a week or so.

I just wish the battery life was longer. I've always got one or the other in the charger. I think I'm going to have to get more batteries and chargers, as I travel fairly long distances to visit family. A car charger is also in order.

Stick with it.....your lungs will thank you.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Why is that?

Because the RN 4075 (the "imposter") supposedly burns hotter, therefore better throat hit and vapor. Which of course takes a small hit on battery life but that's worth it to me. I don't much care about build quality -- if it doesn't smoke well, then it's irrelevant if it feels sturdy in the hand or if I can drop it without it breaking... because I wouldn't be using it anyway.

murf43143

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Savannah, Georgia
Your battery was not fully charged at first.

Also, I for some reason remember reading to screw the battery in, then plug it into the wall.

Now that really doesn't make sense to me but that is how I do it. Maybe it was a dream, but I generally charge mine for 4 hours, or I will put one on while I sleep at 6 hours.

My carts are lasting just fine, waiting on the juice! I just popped my 3rd cartridge in in the last 24 hours. First day using it also, so very new myself.

But I was also sitting in a bar for 4 hours, where I normally smoke like a chimney, and didn't even bring my cigarettes with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread