My 902 carto experiment has come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

berube27

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
Presque Isle, PA
Okay... this experiment has come to a close, at least for me anyway... I got a BUNCH of juice in the mail and sat here in the house for hours today. and i started mixing. darks, lights, pg, vg, sweets, sugars, nuts, fruits, yadda-yadda-yadda. and i started out with 2 new attys and 10 new cartos.

here is the final conclusion i have come to. it seems that juices from pretty much any vendor work just fine as long as your mix is "carto compatible".

in the end here were my findings.

65pg-35vg mix is pretty much the level that i started getting noticable atty/carto failure. so thats as heavy a VG mix as i would ever want to use. the only juices that seemed to work this "thick" were the light/clear, non sugary juices. banana, coconut, pistachio, were the ones that fit that.

80pg-20vg mix was the best performing overall mix for ALL juices that i used. but still, the super sugary stuff was caramelizing onto the filament and wanted frequent cleaning. vanilla was the mid-colored and mid-sugared type juice that was best at this mix. with an efficient performing carto, you can get some pretty hefty vapor production in such a thin mix. i was very, VERY surprised.

90pg-10vg mix was the key to getting my "chocolate caramel cinnamon bun" juice to work. it is very dark, very thick, and crazy sugary. i also mixed some "vanilla frosting" juice to pump up the sugars (CCCB-w-VF). even at this level i actually got good vape! again, a surprise! i have a feeling the thick fog actually derived more from the sugars transferring smoothly in the vape and not the vg.

i tried the new attys with all of these juices and that CCCB-w-VF caked and clogged that atty in about 6 drops. the atty was to be cleaned within 3 minutes...

during this process I ALSO learned that 20 drops is perfect for the initial carto fill and 15 drops of juice into the carto is the perfect amount on a refill. with 15 i didnt have to blow them out, and lose drops out the threaded end. But it was the perfect amount to lanyard spin them. I used to 1st fill with 30-35 and refill with 20-25... I wasted a lot of juice and time trying to force it to hold extra juice.

the other theory i derived from all this was that it seems that VG is the thing that transfers the tastes and sugars to your mouth. i tried vaping straight 100pg stuff and sure, i felt it, but i saw nothing. and the flavors of the all pg were very weak. on the other hand, the 100vg juices has soooo much flavor, but once you burned those sugars, you were screwed.

so in the end the keys here are between 65-35 and 90-10 are your "carto sweetspots". the sweetness and color of the juice is what you have to keep in mind when dialing in the perfect pg/vg mix.

i honestly think if all this various equipment we buy would have an explanation sheet of stuff like this, people wouldn't try it once, get frustrated how "hard" it is to figure out vaping, and go back to analogs. and they also wouldnt buy something and end up frustrated and saying "meh... it didnt work" and quit using it.

Anywhoo.... See ya. I have fresh, full, efficient cartos waiting for me upstairs.

\m/

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Wow berube! You've done a great service (at great time and expense) to your fellow vapers here. RIP little cartos and attys and know you gave your lives to great experiment that will go on to give knowledge and guidance to not only us, but future generations of Modern Vapors.

N<--- bowing head while Taps plays

On a happier note, did you find a great juice flavor you love :)

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
also, i was considering trying to learn about adjustable voltages and all that silliness... more hardware, more cost, more guessing... decided that if i could get the juices to work properly in the "standardized" gear i already have, it was really the faster, cheaper, and ultimately better solution...

I agree wholeheartedly! I'm happy with the gear I have now, and done chasing the next great thing!

berube27

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
Presque Isle, PA
as far as finding my "all-day vape", sadly no, i have not yet discovered it... but i do have a LOT of just okay juice that i found can be greatly improved with mixing. pistachio coconut was a nice suprise...

but now that i know the pg/vg that is successful, i can order any flavor and have a lot better chance of it being at least usable. now it'll only be a matter of time before i find "the one".

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I'm trying to scrape the cash together to go the them in fact. Oh yeah, I have my hair metal too - Crue, Cinderella, Poison, VH....
Wow, forgot Manowar from my original list.
All that is my main music, but I also listen to stuff like Billy Joel, Journey, Queen, Stix, REO, Aerosmith, The Beatles, Collective Soul, Linkin Park.....
When I'm in the car with my wife and two daughters though..... its very different music. :) Because of Glee though, I've heard my youngest singing Aerosmith, Kiss & Journey!

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
I'm trying to scrape the cash together to go the them in fact. Oh yeah, I have my hair metal too - Crue, Cinderella, Poison, VH....
Wow, forgot Manowar from my original list.
All that is my main music, but I also listen to stuff like Billy Joel, Journey, Queen, Stix, REO, Aerosmith, The Beatles, Collective Soul, Linkin Park.....
When I'm in the car with my wife and two daughters though..... its very different music. :) Because of Glee though, I've heard my youngest singing Aerosmith, Kiss & Journey!

My kind of music. :2cool:

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Garnoch, I just realized you've been vaping for over a year! I missed congratulating you on your milestone. So congrats!!! Did your wife stay with it too? If so, congrats to the both of you! I hit 6mths a little over a week ago, and it seems like just yesterday I got my starter kit :) Hubby on the other hand gave up after 3 days :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread