My atomizers never seem to fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anchova

Jul 13, 2009
Fort Myers, FL
I've been e-smoking for roughly five months now. I've had two atomizers fail, and it is after washing them in water and probably not letting them dry completely.

Other than that, I've never had one go.

I use a 510 from Eastmall. I find it strange that so many people on here only expect a month from their atomizers. I never clean the one I have, and it's been well over two months that it has been my full-time friend. I simply blow it out into a tissue when it doesn't seem to be giving me a full vape.

Just thought it was strange. Has anybody here tried not cleaning their atomizers? I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I haven't had a single issue. Am I the only one?

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
I got a 6 pack of 901s from Eastmall, and 4 were mine.

3 have had a burning taste, the other has been unused for some time now (I had lost it and just recently found it).

I soaked them in PGA for a few days, pulled out the crispy threads under the bridge, and 2 worked OK after this.

I think I was letting them get too dry. I have had the same problem with 2 of my 510 attyZ. Again plucking threads after a few days of a PGA bath seemed to work.

But I do use my USBhomeBrew 5v mod.

miakauisan

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly, I lost 4 atty's in the first month between me and the SO...so two each in a month...I cleaned them once a week and we switched them out once a day. Now, we're both using one each that I rarely, rarely clean...both going on a little over a month each.

The ones I cleaned died due to resistance rise....so they still technically "work" but they're not really usable... Mine that I have now still has a resistance of 2.3 ohms (same from the start) and the SO's resistance has risen up to 2.6 from 2.2 ohms at the begining.

On an interesting note...The atty that I'm using, that hasn't changed in resistance...I drip on(it refused to wick from the beginning). The SO uses a cart and his has risen. o_O

Joye 510 attys by the way...3.7 volt standard joye 510 batts.

Last edited:

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
Is there anyone here with the patience to explain to a noob, what an ohms is?

An ohm is a measure of electrical resistance, like a volt is a measure of potential, and an ampere is a measure of current. The higher resistance (ohms) you measure on the atomizer coil, the more likely it's going to die. Best thing to do after you've received new atomizers is to measure the resistance of the coil using a multimeter.

Oh, and the two atomizers I've tried cleaning ended up dying slow deaths. I don't even bother anymore.

Last edited:

abhowe

Moved On
Sep 14, 2009
I have ben vaping for about 2 months and lost 1 atty...... I started on the 510 and then to the Silver Bullet, then the GG and the GLV 5.0......
My 510 and 901's have been going strong using them on all of the above...... Don't know what voltage the Titan uses..... But I know I have used them at 3.7, 6.0 and recently at 5.0 volts.....
I blow them out and thats about it..... Once in a while I do a dry burn for 5 - 10 seconds and believe it or not, I pray for them......

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
Seeing as how my attys are not removable (DSE601 Pipe) I don't soak or any of that jazz. However, I do hang'em inverted to drip dry overnight and rotate them; so technically, each unit gets a 24hr draining period. If I don't, the residual liquid that slips passed the atty into the bowl builds up and it will leak into my pocket8-o. The only atty that died in my Super-mini before switching to the pipe was the one I tried to clean by soaking in vodka. I used the original attys in my Super-mini for 5 months before switching to the pipe. They still work. It was the cheap atty that died after decreased performance led me to try to clean it. Maybe I was doing it wrong, or maybe I should've spent a little more and bought a spare from my original vendor.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
My wife is still using two RN4081 attys we got when we started back in July. She never, ever cleans them and they have great plumes of vapor and strong hit. After reading about it in here, I decided I'd clean mine with just very hot water, blow dry them, leave them set overnight, ...and promptly killed both of mine.
Now I have my M401 and I ain't doin' no cleanin'.

oldtechno

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2009
United States of America
Back when I first started I was given to cleaning mine once a week--over night in alcohol--I put half a dozen in a cup, left them there overnight, the next day three of them wouldn't work at all.

For the last two months I don't clean them--they work fine. I did blow them out a few times with a cordless air compressor.

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
I clean my 801 attys when they start tasting funky. I use Sattec's Crest Pro method. Works like a charm. Have only had to do it once so far. Haven't lost an atty yet since I started vaping Sep. 20 (in earnest 9/28).

My 401 attys I clean when they start to turn "dark" and gunky looking. Once so far. Have had them since October 7. Sparkling clean after a Crest bath. Look and perform like brand new.

I never ever cook my attys by letting them overheat or burn or get dry. Always prime after cleaning...

You don't vape at 6-7v do you? They just kill over given a little time for me.

That is the key. I have been running HV mods for the last 6 months and have gone through more atty's than I care to say. When running the 3.7v, I may have gone through 1 or 2 in the previous 6 months.

Also, the more I tried to maintain them by cleaning, soaking, boiling, etc., the more they would fail.

Lately I have gone back to just blowing them out by mouth if I flood them and store mine upside down at night, which is what I did when I started, and they last longer.

The atty's are designed around the 3.7v and until someone designs them around a 5v+, us HV users will have to deal with the higher fallout rate.

I ended up buying bulk, 25 atty's at a bit under $5 each, one less issue I have to worry about. If a $5 atty = 1 pack of analogs, I would have to go through 1/day before it would equal my old habit, thankfully they last longer than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread