My begineers journey with a vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

veryoldgit54

Sep 15, 2018
London UK
OK so loads to learn and try but have mastered the difference between having a vape and having a ....:thumb:
I have two units already both fixed output, one was the Switz2 that the kids bought me and that has replacement coils, I also bought a budget unit so that I could use clearomiser tanks (10 for less than a packet of fags) to try different flavours in. tanks on order.
Currently low cloud and low nic - happy with that at present.
Have tried 2 flavours so far and only like one.
Happy with the nic free Menthol that I am trying in the budget unit, but dislike the low nic Tobacco flavour- Its not the nic level - just don't like the taste.
Family have bought me some other flavours to try so waiting for the extra tanks.

JoeVapesReviews

Sep 20, 2018
OK so loads to learn and try but have mastered the difference between having a vape and having a ....:thumb:
I have two units already both fixed output, one was the Switz2 that the kids bought me and that has replacement coils, I also bought a budget unit so that I could use clearomiser tanks (10 for less than a packet of fags) to try different flavours in. Tanks on order.
Happy with the nic free Menthol that I am trying in the budget unit, but dislike the low nic Tobacco flavour- Its not the nic level - just don't like the taste.
Family have bought me some other flavours to try so waiting for the extra tanks.

I totally know what you mean. The low nic Tobacco just tastes wrong. I finally got over not wanting the tobacco flavors and now am appreciating the desert and candy flavors so much more. In fact the reason I finally quit smoking cigarettes fully was when I stopped using any tobacco flavored juices. Now I just use 3mg nic juices and still get the close to the full flavor that they are meant to be tasted at. The my need for larger vapor production varies. Just depends on my mood.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have two units already both fixed output, one was the Switz2 that the kids bought me and that has replacement coils, I also bought a budget unit so that I could use clearomiser tanks (10 for less than a packet of fags) to try different flavours in. Tanks on order.
Finding juices you like is a challenging one. Sounds like you are settling in pretty well.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Welcome, sounds like you are off to a great start. Half the fun is trying different flavors and you will probably find a few favorites along the way. In nine years (almost), I have tried hundreds of juices but have only found about 12 that I like. Yep, I am picky about flavors. I think it has to do with the fact that I have a very keen sense of smell and that must factor into whether I like them or not.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Liking one out of two flavors actually isn't too bad odds. Out of 12 different flavors I might try, I usually only like 2 or 3 that I like enough to purchase again.

Finding a tobacco flavor that you like could be tough if not impossible. None will "taste like a cigarette".

Last edited:

SunshinePete

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 24, 2014
    Bedfordshire, England
    Welcome to ECF. I've concluded that replicating the taste of a cigarette must be impossible, it's easier to find the holy grail, yet I quickly weary of other flavours. Funny thing, I don't recall ever thinking that a snout tasted fine, but that is the flavour I seek in vain.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Hi welcome aboard and good luck. If you have a taster bar vape emporium near you that can help. Otherwise many online vendors will sell sample size taster juices in packs fairly inexpensively which can be a help, as, unfortunately, part of finding juices you like can involve trying a lot of different things.
    Welcome and good luck,

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    @veryoldgit54

I suspect you have ordered 10 x CE4 clearomizers. For a £1 they are great value as long as you don't overpower them and get dry hits.

You can also buy tanks where you can replace just the atomizer head (the coil) for between £1.10 and £4.00 depending where you shop.

In the UK, you can easily 'accientally' pay £4 for a £1.10 coil....

I get my coils from China and pay £1.10 cheapest to £1.40 (most expensive). I am not recommending you shop from China, but, for example.

These two products are the same thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eleaf-Heads-5-Pack-1-2ohm-8-30W/dp/B00WCZBPVE

CS 1.2ohm Dual Coil Atomizer Heads x 2

So - we have 5 for £5.60 vs 2 for £5.49...

This is the sort of thing that goes on in the e-cig world. Most customers are oblivious.

I never pay more the £1 for shop e-liquid unless I buy some outrageously good stuff on special from an e-liquid ONLY website.
    There is a £1 e-liquid shop in the UK. It's called LiQuid. It's so legit, a tobacco company took it over to stop them ruining the game for the £5 e-liquid con-artists. Unusually, the tobacco company actually didn't shut it down. They embraced the possibility of making enough money by not abusing new vapers on the price of liquid.

The big brands that sell both hardware and liquid (I can't name them for legal reasons) will sell you £1 e-liquid for £5. They will pretend it's all premium and 'safer' with more stars for quality.... which is poppycock. There are legal standards now - DO NOT trust reviews for e-liquid especially on the big brand shops websites. Try, please, to avoid supermarket e-liquid... it's nearly all tobacco company stuff. Again £5 for £1 e-liquid. ASDA sell cheap vaping company e-liquid for £1 as do HomeBargains. 88vape is the most likely you will come across.

At least if you pay £4.99 at Totally Wicked, you are getting decent liquid and your money is not going straight back to a tobacco company. You are funding their yacht... but hey... they deserve it... the were the first big players in e-cigarettes in this company.

These guys are famous for their flavors with DIY makers.
    Ready To Vape Eliquid 10ml

They do ready-made in 50/50 which is good for more basic clearomizers, such as CE4 and mini Protank type tanks.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    whatever works, works!!! my suggestion to you? don't be afraid to try a dessert vape. I have an adult palette (cigarettes, anchovies, brussel sprouts...) and I find that I enjoy more baked goods flavors than fruit. they're more complex, and imaginitve! you might enjoy a custard, or a butter cake batter vape. one of my favorites has always been cinnamon cookie (snickerdoodles)

sounds like you're enjoying the menthol. keeps your breath fresh at least. you might enjoy a menthol watermelon.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    You may have started the way most successful vapors start. Start slow and learn as you go, smart choice, you will do well.
    The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
    Might like to read:
    Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
    Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
    https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
    ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
    http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
    Vape 101: Here's Everything You Need to Know about Vaping
    6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Welcome aboard.

So you, like many want to start with a tobacco flavor. That is a tough one to find. Some companies use a direct extraction of flavor from tobacco. Trouble is often times it ends up tasting like a cigar, pipe tobacco or uncured. I found one in California that tastes just like my favorite brand when I smoke it. Words like "Virginia leaf" "Kentucky cured" etc indicate it's a cigarette flavor. You being from London and on a budget is why I'm not saying "awe man, you gotta try Black Note Prelude". It's pricey over here and crossing the big pond may double the cost.

I found myself mixing drops of fruity flavor in my tobacco for a better after taste. In about a month I had migrated to using non tobacco flavors similar to fruity chewing gums or juices. I have vaper friends who still use tobacco flavors after a few years.

If you are vaping the same as smoking that is called mouth to lung. MTL devices are setup different than those where you draw straight to the lung (called direct lung). Those terms will help you find products you'll get more enjoyment from and help you when chatting it up at vape shops.

If you ever go the modular setup up, there are a gazillion choices now. I'd recommend you learn your style preference before diving into the deep end. You'll avoid dust collectors and paper weights you thought were a good idea at first.

3mg of nic (or zero) is a good learning point. In time you can add. Higher blends of PG burns quicker. Higher VG puts out more steam. Again, learn your style. A good tobacco that was direct extraction will probably be 50/50 since it is very mild. 50% PG puts out more flavor with tobaccos.

Have fun.

• Useful

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Update on how things are going.
    Now using a coffee flavour that I am enjoying. No real cigs touched for 2 weeks now.
    Have discarded the "Tobacco"flavour liquid .:rolleyes:
    Still like the Menthol but find it more suited to when I feel clogged up.
    Glad to hear things are working for you, and CONGRATS on two weeks off the cigs :thumbs:.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I tried, but never found any really good tobacco flavor juices....until I made my own. I think you'll find on other threads that many will agree that Hangsen and Inawara are among the best flavorings for making your own. And it's extremely easy (and cheap!).

For ready to vape juices, the best I found were Halo (Tribeca and Turkish), and Indigo (Duke and Eastwood). But then, I think Heathers Heavenly Vapes makes some very highly recommended tobaccos. And they have a NET (Naturally Extracted Tobacco) line. I never tried them before I started DIY, but from what I've read, they're likely better than Halo & Indigo. I recently started making juice with NET flavoring, and it's unbelievably good, authentic tobacco flavor.

I gotta say, though - I do kinda envy those that transition to non-tobacco flavors. Seems like that'd be nice, and if it works, more power to you. For me- just like I couldn't eat doughnuts or cookies all day, I can't vape sweet flavors all day. They taste good for a few hits, then I'm done. My body was just used to tobacco all day every day, for 40+ years. Good luck!

• Useful

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Finding good juices is, imo the toughest part of vaping. I'm very picky and most juices are just not worthy. Besides all that, over the years your tastes change and what juice you did like , now is not so good....over 7 years ago , like most wanted to find a good tobacco juices and did find a couple, but then wanted something different so I branched to coffees, then desserts, then fruits, the custards, then candy, then beverage, etc...the problem with most of these juices are they are just too sweet and over flavored. I personally have come full circle back to tobaccos, but only NET tobaccos. Yes I tried them all but find nets to be cognac of juices

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread