My bf finds my vaping irritating, but is fine with smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
I'm desperately trying to figure out why. I've tried a number of different eliquids but he seems to find them all just as bad. I've used 100% VG, 50:50, 70:30, various flavours, brands etc. Even different devices. He's fine with cigarette smoke. It doesn't bother him at all and he does smoke himself but not heavy.

At the start, he seemed nervous when I started vaping and he made a few comments like 'you have no idea what's in that stuff'. But now he says he isn't nervous of it. It's really that the vape itself irritates his throat. He describes it as a noxious smell (regardless of the flavour).

Could anyone help me work out what to try next? I'm at a loss. I only see him at weekends so I could vape all week and smoke when I'm with him but lately, I've found that I crave vaping more than cigarettes. But I don't want to make my boyfriend uncomfortable either so I'd love to find a solution to this.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
I'm desperately trying to figure out why. I've tried a number of different eliquids but he seems to find them all just as bad. I've used 100% VG, 50:50, 70:30, various flavours, brands etc. Even different devices. He's fine with cigarette smoke. It doesn't bother him at all and he does smoke himself but not heavy.

At the start, he seemed nervous when I started vaping and he made a few comments like 'you have no idea what's in that stuff'. But now he says he isn't nervous of it. It's really that the vape itself irritates his throat. He describes it as a noxious smell (regardless of the flavour).

Could anyone help me work out what to try next? I'm at a loss. I only see him at weekends so I could vape all week and smoke when I'm with him but lately, I've found that I crave vaping more than cigarettes. But I don't want to make my boyfriend uncomfortable either so I'd love to find a solution to this.

Does he still smoke? My father was that way until he started vaping. Now he lives in a cloud of VG fog. lmao.

It could be that he isn't used to how thick it is.

Or he's BSing you. I've seen tons of people do that because they don't like vaping or vapers. I had a guy intentionally walk through my cloud and cough so he could ..... at me. I blew it away from him.

It could also be a certain flavor you're using. Maybe he's picking out a single flavoring and it smells bad to him.

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
I don't think it's the flavouring. I've spent an absolute fortune trying loads of different ones. Even things he enjoys, like coffee flavour or tobacco flavour, he finds the vapour irritating. I can't say for sure because I haven't tried every single one on the market but I'm running out of ideas. He still smokes but I know tobacco smoke has chemicals that make it less irritating to breathe in. Vapour doesn't. Maybe this is why.

It's really offputting to see him covering his face and waving his arms about when I vape :(

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
HI Ripply,

I agree with Topwater, but before you do make that change IF he is important to you. You can try "Plain" no flavor e-juice some brands have a plain then that should not make him nauseated with no flavor smell.

Personally the smell of cigarettes make me nauseated so the complaint could go both ways!!
Good Luck!

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
Thanks. I'll try the unflavoured stuff and see what he thinks. It's a shame because the lovely flavours are the thing that makes me prefer vaping to smoking. To me, it smells better.

I have a feeling it's not just about the flavour. I think he's nervous about 'chemicals', like PG and VG too.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I have a feeling it's not just about the flavour. I think he's nervous about 'chemicals', like PG and VG too.
Perhaps searching for "research" that shows how these are used in other items. Doesn't hospitals use PG, or VG through their ventilation system to kill bacteria?

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
He's nervous about the "chemicals" in ejuice, but the chemicals, tar etc. in cigarettes is ok?

Yes, he's used to cigarettes and it doesn't bother him. He said at least we have decades of research around tobacco and know everything about it.

I've already explained that PG is used in all sorts of things and VG is just glycerin. He still seems uncomfortable with it. I know this seems a bit illogical but that's just the way he feels.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
My husband was put off with vaping. He thought "plugging in your cigarette" (his words) was weird. He thought "smoke shouldn't smell like a bakery". He thought it was "weird to burn cake" He found it odd to "coat your lungs with petroleum products and oils".. (his words)

Everything in quotes were things he said.. There was simply a period of adjustment. It's new, and some people are more resistent to change than others.

For all my husband's complaints - he vapes now.. it was just a longer time coming because he is more resistent to change and more hesitant over things he is unsure of.

It took a while for him to accept vaping - first my vaping, then opening his mind enough to try it himself .

I was not much better when I first heard of it.. I felt like "we didn't know what was in that vapor" until I learned more about it.. the thought of vaping can be a little scary when you don't know anything about it.

My advice is to put your own foot down while at the same time educating him as to what vaping is, what's in the ejuice and what's in vapor.

In short, fight ignorance with knowledge... have some patience - but don't let his behavior change your own.

Vaping IS better for you, this change is to benefit your health, don't let someone take that away from you. Stand up for your right to vape, your body, your life.

Tell him if he prefers you go outside to vape you will, but you expect the same courtesy from him when he smokes, as second hand smoke is proven dangerous - while vapor is proven safe, and you won't allow his choices and his actions to put you in danger.

But don't let opportunity for educating him pass.. with every negative comment he makes counter it with truth right then and there. In time he will come around...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Some individuals are extremely sensitive to particular smells or odors. For instance, my sister (previous smoker/current vaper) gets a headache and nauseous if she smells firewood burning. :blink:

I have been sharing a house with my brother for about 3 years. He's a nonsmoker, has allergies, has a super keen sense of smell, and hates the smell of vapor. He lives primarily on the upper floor where his bedroom is. My bedroom is downstairs. We share the downstairs kitchen.

I respect his aversion to my vaping. I do all of my vaping either outdoors, or only in my bedroom when indoors. My bedroom door ALWAYS stays shut to prevent the vaping odors from spreading in the house. So far, this solution has been working for us.

@Ripply if this relationship is worth continuing, both of you will have to come to a mutual agreement. Designated smoking and vaping areas/rooms indoors, or strictly outdoors for both of you.

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
...then there is my Mom - a chain smoker.
She will wave her arms and say my vapor smells awful (while she is smoking) when she sees me - like if we are outside on their back patio.
I've take over several different flavors - same reaction.

Yet...
I can sit next to her in the car with the windows up (no smoking in the car) and turn my head away from her to vape...not a comment (or a sniff) is made.
So, I truly believe it's all in her head.

There is nothing in this world that is going to convince her that vaping is not dangerous so...
Thank you media and fake science for scaring off smokers.

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
Ive found more smokers to be less tolerant toward vaping than non smokers at least where I work. Not all smokers of course, but the ones who seemed more bothered and put off by vaping were smokers. The non smokers were more curious and even comment how it smelled good, or comment how they wish a friend or family member would do that instead of smoke. Smokers would act like it bothered them and give the knee jerk fake cough reaction. In one garage I worked at a few years back the only person who objected to my vaping was a smoker who I wasnt even really near most of the time, he didnt think it was fair that he couldnt smoke in the garage, and I think it bothered him that the non smokers didnt mind or even notice my vape. I got along with the guy overall but he had his heels dug in when it came to smoking and vaping. I think its that way with a lot of smokers.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
I feel like your guy only cares for himself, or at least has some serious issues expressing his caring. You can go unflavored, if he still doesn't seem to get satisfied, dump him. (I wouldn't give up on flavor just because he can't stand anyways, there is no possible way he likes the smell of cigs more than your juice's)
Though,
a51.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread