My board style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaue

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2008
Switzerland
klaue.110mb.com
Try the Zap colors bookmarklet then. Go to https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html and drag the grey zap-colors-box on your bookmarks toolbar. then go to the forum and on any thread you want to read, click on it and voilà - black text, white background. Note that it also removes the "post reply"-button, so if you want to reply, you have to reload the page. But in my opinion, it's worth it for the much better reading experience. I'm gonna make a screenshot and attach it here..

EDIT: here it is:
screenie.jpg

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Thanks all. I do hope colors are changed if we don't get the profile option. I have been using the zap colors toolbar button shown by Klaue, otherwise I wouldn't be able to read the forum - too much strain for my pitifully mucked up eyes. It is a bit of a pain to press it for every single page though.

Michelle

May 22, 2008
Greece
www.e-steki.gr
I know I am going to sound like a weirdo for this :oops: , but I don't like addons that change a web page's design.
I prefer to view the web pages as their designer intended them to be.
As a web designer myself, I wouldn't want people to use such extensions for web pages I designed, so I won't do it on others.

(yes, I know that no web designer designed this site, but thats how I treat all pages)

:oops: :oops:

Thanks anyway though!

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Michelle said:
I prefer to view the web pages as their designer intended them to be.
As a web designer myself, I wouldn't want people to use such extensions for web pages I designed, so I won't do it on others.

That makes sense to me when the purpose of a website is to act as an outlet for the artistic expression of the designer. There are some sites like that. I hadn't considered this before, but I suppose automobile designers would prefer I not sully their works with fuzzy dice and stacks of cds, and their careers are then rife with disappointments. ;)

Klaue

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2008
Switzerland
klaue.110mb.com
Michelle said:
I know I am going to sound like a weirdo for this :oops: , but I don't like addons that change a web page's design.
Well, I think that depends on the point of view. I am a programmer and like simple, clear structurised sites without too much fluff around them. For me, it's about content, not looks. It's about a fast way to find content, not a good-looking one. For example, I like this website: http://ubcd4win.com/ It's nice, simple and has much content. But I hate a website like this: http://www.macscreensavers.com/macindex.html (first one I found, could find probably much worse). It's artsy and so on, but it hurts the eyes, has way too small fonts, content is hidden more than it needs to be and so on.

But on the other hand, I'm also the type of person that prefers to use "Win+R -> edit -> enter" over clicking through the various start menu options (or for that matter, alt-f2 -> gedit -> enter in ubuntu) so I may not count ;)

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hi guys and girls,

Yes I admit the site is pretty hard to look at and I will change it as soon as I have the time(next few days hopefully), I'm not a designer so never quite appreciated how others might find it - ah well, you live and learn.

The main problem is that the mods I have applied to the forum required quite extensive code edits to the templates. The default ones in PHPBB3 do not format properly after the mods are applied and I never had the time to change their code, so I disabled them.

Anyway, I have chosen a very nice theme that I think you'll all like (from feedback received) and I will edit it ASAP. Carbon will remain alongside so if anyone prefers it they can keep it!

Thanks for your patience and all the feedback.

SJ

Michelle

May 22, 2008
Greece
www.e-steki.gr
Klaue said:
Michelle said:
Well, I think that depends on the point of view. I am a programmer and like simple, clear structurised sites without too much fluff around them. For me, it's about content, not looks. It's about a fast way to find content, not a good-looking one. For example, I like this website: http://ubcd4win.com/ It's nice, simple and has much content. But I hate a website like this: http://www.macscreensavers.com/macindex.html (first one I found, could find probably much worse). It's artsy and so on, but it hurts the eyes, has way too small fonts, content is hidden more than it needs to be and so on.

But on the other hand, I'm also the type of person that prefers to use "Win+R -> edit -> enter" over clicking through the various start menu options (or for that matter, alt-f2 -> gedit -> enter in ubuntu) so I may not count ;)

Lol, I would also prefer the first one. Design doesn't always have to do with a lot of graphics. For instance, I think that facebook.com or wakoopa.com have great designs. ;)

@Smokey Joe: Have you considered vBulletin? Most of its mods require no code edits (and a great portion of them don't even require template edits). Its also a great forum software, with great code (although its quite behind in design, compared to phpBB3).

Klaue

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2008
Switzerland
klaue.110mb.com
Of all of the forums I ever used, the one using wbb was the best. Not content-wise but usability-wise. Also, phpBB has proven to be quite insecure and I could also find quite many security holes in vBulletin but, as far as I remember (I admit, I diddn't check it for quite some time), Wbb had far less holes.
By the way, rapidforum (from the same people that made rapidshare) was by far the worst.

Klaue

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2008
Switzerland
klaue.110mb.com
well, I made a quick (1 minute ;)) check on packetstorm and the newest version with a flaw I could find was 3.6.8 (actual version: 3.7.1). Note that most entries diddn't have a version number in the title, so I skipped them. I like packetstorm, but it's search engine sucks big time ;)
I'm pretty sure you could find more and some for the actual version, if you wanted to. Just because it's payware doesn't mean it's secure ;)

(The one I found which could be used on many pages)

Michelle

May 22, 2008
Greece
www.e-steki.gr
Klaue said:
well, I made a quick (1 minute ;)) check on packetstorm and the newest version with a flaw I could find was 3.6.8 (actual version: 3.7.1).
vB3.6.8 was released about a year ago. You could find a hole in ANY software if you looked for one for a year! :p
Klaue said:
I'm pretty sure you could find more and some for the actual version, if you wanted to. Just because it's payware doesn't mean it's secure ;)
Where did I say that payware == secure?
I consider vBulletin secure because of its code, not its cost ;)
Klaue said:
(The one I found which could be used on many pages)
I highly doubt that this would work, as vBulletin's input cleaner always cleans any $_POST, $_GET, etc variables from any html (with a few exceptions, but these aren't one of them).

@Smokey Joe: Are you sure you're talking about its default theme? :shock:

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
@Smokey Joe: Are you sure you're talking about its default theme? :shock:

Haha! No, I was talking about the features. I have had some doubts about PHPBB3 for a while now and vbulletin seems to offer the solutions to my doubts.

Only problem is how to import the database..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread