My Builds Don't Taste As Good - What Wire & Wick Do Genuine Kanger Evod 1 Heads Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
So, I was enjoying my vape on my kanger evod (celtic virginia blend), loving the taste and everything but after a few days had leaking and gurgling problems. I decided i'd rebuild the coil using kanthal and just regular cotton. Then I felt like the flavour was really muted and tasted strange (not burnt) even though the build was performing well vapour wise. So I took that out and rebuilt with kanthal and silica thinking it was the cotton that was making the taste weird. Not so, it tasted exactly the same even though the build seemed to be performing well.

I'm left wondering how I can get my e liquid to taste how it did on the kanger builds.
Do new wicks taste more distinctive than older ones?
Could it be that the flavour has built up over time and a new build loses the flavour?

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Do you dry burn or torch the kanthal before wicking? Kanthal can have a residue on it that should be burned off before vaping.

I rebuild kanger coils with 30 gauge kanthal and sterile cotton and once I get past the cotton taste during the first 5 or so toots, it's flavor city. Was it a cottony taste and you just didn't vape on it long enough to get past it?

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what cotton tastes like but it is what i'd imagine cotton to taste like. The silica wick i replaced it with tasted just the same though so it left me wondering if it was the wire. I gave it way more than 5 toots - maybe 20+. I think it's improved somewhat now. I haven't tried sterile cotton. I bought some organic to try yesterday so that's on it's way. Should I get sterile too? Just wondering what chemicals they're using to sterilise it!

Haha, Can you take me to flavour city?

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I'm not sure what cotton tastes like but it is what i'd imagine cotton to taste like. The silica wick i replaced it with tasted just the same though so it left me wondering if it was the wire. I gave it way more than 5 toots - maybe 20+. I think it's improved somewhat now. I haven't tried sterile cotton. I bought some organic to try yesterday so that's on it's way. Should I get sterile too? Just wondering what chemicals they're using to sterilise it!

Haha, Can you take me to flavour city?

Sterile cotton or organic cotton it doesn't matter, they are both put through a process to clean and whiten them. You will be ok either way. I would have bought organic if I could have found some the day I bought a box of sterile. I guess I looked at sterile as they are ok to use against wounds so it can't have to much crap in it if you can use it to "stop a leak".

It might just be a cotton taste you are working through. Every time I vape a new freshly wicked coil it varies how long the cotton taste lasts. I've had some that I magically wicked just right and the cotton taste lasted only two toots and others that seem to last like yours, 20+ toots before it goes away.

Honestly I think you should keep at it with rebuilding. I got much better results simply with practice.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Alright, thanks will keep at it. So all cotton goes through the autoclave process? I've tried reading the cotton debate threads but fall asleep after a few posts.

That's what I gathered from cotton discussions too before falling asleep myself. Organic is just how it's grown not what happens to it between the picking and store shelves. Some people boil their cotton to get rid of any chemicals, but I've never bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread