My bulk cartomizing operation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
As you can see my other hobby is electronics, so I'm no stranger to storing little components. As such I have become something of a connoisseur of these plastic storage bins. The ones you find at the hardware store suck because they're made from frosted polystyrene which is hard to see through.

A couple years ago I searched far and wide for the best ones and stocked up on several of the kind you see below. These are made from clear acrylic and they're a much better size (wider and shallower) for this sort of thing. They're hard to find in acrylic because it tends to break in shipping/retail so the stores don't carry them. You can get these from Jameco, Part # 319600. These also stack well with nesting rails along the bottom, and can be wall mounted.

Each drawer is the perfect size for a bottle of juice and up to a dozen cartos. So when I find a juice I like, I fill a bunch of new cartos, put the condoms back on and in a drawer they go. Then my system is to put used cartos back in the same drawer, sans condoms, so I know which ones need to be refilled and with what. When they're all empty I refill them all again.

I don't think I can overstate how much more efficient it is to fill these things in batches, and how nice it is to have a whole bunch ready to go instead of refilling on the fly. I can probably bulk fill 5-10 times faster than doing one-offs, and when I'm done the whole opertion gets neatly put away. There's just so much time and hassle saved in filling several cartos with one juice at a time.

It probably goes without saying but these drawers also happen to be just the right size for storing your various cigs, batteries, adaptors etc.

p.s. I don't bother with the spinning trick. I think it's an urban myth like tapping on a coke can to settle the bubbles before you open it. You'd get the same effect just by waiting the same amount of time it takes you to do it. However, I *have* found I can get a few more drops in by bobbing the carto up and down in the condom a couple times just before it bottoms out, which only takes a second. This seems to push the air out and distribute the juice a little better and with practice I am getting maximal fills without any bubbling up through the battery end.

I don't blow them out either. I just put caps on both ends and store them. Since they're going to be lying flat in there for a while, the juice will have plenty of time to soak in and the ends will be dry in time for vaping. Also because I fill several of one flavor at a time, I can recycle the same used condom for filling purposes and then put clean ones on for storage.

I'm just getting started with cartos so my routine hasn't stood the test of time yet. If anyone has other comments or suggestions I would be interested to hear your experiences with bulk filling.

DSC03205.jpg

Sly.Mind

May 18, 2010
TN
wow, sounds like and LOOKS like a good setup. i ordered a box of cartos, and i have a question for you. do you have a break it period like you do with regular atomizer?? and with so many cartos, will you ever break them all in???? (third question: have you ever added up just how much you've spent on all your e-cig stuff?!)

ok so i had three questions lol.

Happy Vaping! :D

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
wow, sounds like and LOOKS like a good setup. i ordered a box of cartos, and i have a question for you. do you have a break it period like you do with regular atomizer?? and with so many cartos, will you ever break them all in????

I like them best brand new. Cartos are fundamentally different than attys because they don't use a steel sponge - the "bridge" - to transfer juice from storage to the heating coil. Instead it is heated directly inside the foam which holds the juice (with a layer of glass/kevlar-like fiber to protect the fill). I think this works better and tastes better but it is not as durable. OTOH they are cheap so I feel like if I got a few refills I got my money's worth and there's no pain discarding one. AFAICT the key to longevity with these is to detect when the vapor gets the slightest bit weak, BEFORE it's completely dry. If you refill before it's dry they will keep going. Others have noticed burnt fill but I have taken apart moderately used cartos and have not seen this. There are at least four kinds of 510 cartos on the market so that is probably a major variable in people's experiences. I have been happiest with eastmall's cartos, which are also sold by a couple domestic distributors including cloudsofvapor and vaporkings. I would not recommend the pre-filled or the stainless ones.

(third question: have you ever added up just how much you've spent on all your e-cig stuff?!)
No but I'm not worried at all about stocking up on cartos. Hell at 80¢/ea that's barely three cigarettes! I'd use them eventually any way. I can't say that for the dozen other ecigs and accessories I have bought and disliked, but I am somewhat new to vaping and have been eager to try as many products as possible to find the best experience. Finally I have found something that works for me and I think I'll settle down here until something fundamentally new comes along.

Last edited:

Sly.Mind

May 18, 2010
TN
but I am somewhat new to vaping and have been eager to try as many products as possible to find the best experience. Finally I have found something that works for me and I think I'll settle down here until something fundamentally new comes along.

i agree, i am new aswell, this is my second week into vaping. i like my 510, but im melting the bottom of the stock carts berfore they are empty, and not getting much vaper out of it... its only my second day w the 510 so i hope i can figure somthing out. cartos will be here soon, so ill give them a try and tell ya what i think about em.

Happy Vaping! :D

Nyxie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Port Richey, Fl.
I never thought of one of "those" boxes. I am glad you posted it.
I was thinking about using a craft bead box or something. a rectangular box with one level and many compartments. I have seen someone post a pic on here of the craft type but I do like your idea.
Currently "my lab" is in my desk drawer in small tupperware type containers.

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
Dude, why tell us about how we have to see this, and NOT post pics? I mean, once you realized your ISP was down and had to post from your iphone, why didn't you wait? If your iphone supported flash/java, you could post pics from it, but saddly, it's an Apple.

Huh? Can you still not see the pic? It shows up fine for me, even from elsewhere on the net. And for the record, my ISP went down AFTER I posted it. That's why it disappeared and came back later.

Do tell how I can post a pic without hosting it somewhere. Entering a URL is the only option I see and I AM using a flash-capable browser, whatever that has to do with it. There is no need to be so rude.

Yankee802

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Panama City, Florida
I'm sorry, I just don't like Apple, nothing against you. :)

Anyway, I can see the pic now, don't know why I couldn't before, but I wasn't the only one, wierd.

In order to post pics from your computer, you click on "Post Reply", you can't do this from the "Quick Reply" area. Next to the smiley face on the toolbar, you see a paperclip, click that to be able to upload from your computer directly.

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
don't know why I couldn't before, but I wasn't the only one, wierd.

Because my internet connection, from whence the image is being served, went down after I posted it. That's why I said "hopefully it will be back soon." And then after a few hours it was back.

In order to post pics from your computer, you click on "Post Reply", you can't do this from the "Quick Reply" area. Next to the smiley face on the toolbar, you see a paperclip, click that to be able to upload from your computer directly.
OK, I missed that. I was clicking "insert image" (the mountain icon) thinking that was the way to... you know.... insert an image! :img:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread