My calm reply to someone mis-informed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronnbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Sawmills, NC, USA
So, I was reading a forum type site and someone was ranting on about "e-cigs". Usually I visit this site to laugh at the idiots arguing with each other about stupid topics, but when someone started bashing vaping, I calmly stepped in. Any suggestions or pointers to refine my approach next time? I can add their initial postings if needed, but its 4am here and work at 11 -_-

" vaping saves lives. I have quit smoking and become healthier than ever. The ingredients in the e-juice I use has 4 parts. Vegetable glycerine: used in many food products, propelyne glycol: used in hospitak ventilations and asthma inhailers, nicotine: while not 100% safe it is less harmful and addictive than cigs with other chemicals that increase addictiveness, and the natural, organic flavorings. The FDA is trying to get e-cigs banned because they are being coerced by Big Tobacco and Big Pharma since they are losing billions in profits. One of the FDA "safe" alternatives (the nicorette throat spray contains not only the chemicals listed above, as well as 6 more, some that are known carcinogens).

I never would have given up smoking nasty cancer sticks without vaping because I have a very addictive personality that is not conducive to cold turkey quit methods. I am also very respectful about where I vape: never in grocery stores or other public places without prior permission from a manager or employee, which most times I don't even ask, because I can go without my vape until I go outside. Once outside, I stay away from people and blow it away from people who happen to walk by. My general rule of thumb is if I wasn't allowed to smoke there, I will not vape there, and most vapers are the same. There are some who are rebellious and push the limits, but don't let those bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.

I most certainly agree with parts of the planned FDA legislation, but others I am totally against. I agree that people under 18 should never be allowed to purchase vaporizers, but most people tend to overlook the fact that any tobacco related device (including the patch/gum/spray as well as vaporizers are illegal for anyone under 18 to purchase, and any upstanding vaping establishment has this fact posted clearly in their business). The vape shop I go to cards any young customer, and will refuse business to anyone over 18 buying for minors. They would rather turn down a sale than their product getting in the hands of minors.

Another part I don't mind is the tax. It is inevitable that the government is going to lose money from us not buying cigs and paying the tobacco taxes, so I do not mind paying them to keep vaping legal. The parts I cannot stand is the fact they are saying the multitude of flavors attract a younger audience, yet they ignore menthol, since Big Tobacco uses menthol to draw in the younger crowds. I was one of those young teens who was a menthol smoker. Anyways, adults can enjoy flavors too, so if they mandate an age limit of 18+ the flavor thing is a non-issue. One interesting thing to note here is an adult industry using candy and other enticing flavors: alcohol industry. There is just as many flavors in vodka's that are in e-juices that can attract kids: cotton candy, whipped cream and even skittles. Underage kids get their hands on alcohol all the time, but you don't see the FDA busting down their doors.

I would continue, but this is getting really long, so if you care to learn more or want to have a FRIENDLY conversation on the subject feel free to email me. I have tons of links on the subject I will be more than happy to share!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread