My case mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplyDraven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2008
Surprise, Az
I thought I would share my ecig carry case mod I made.

This is the case I started with: Amazon.com: Caselogic JDS-6 USB Drive Shuttle 6-Capacity (Black): Electronics

And here's a few pics from beginning to end:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

SimplyDraven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2008
Surprise, Az
Ripley;73537I've been playing around with the craft-foam idea said:
It's actually 3 layers of foam:
(1) layer of 2mm as a solid "backer" so you dont see through to the mesh pockets in the original case.
(2) layers of 3mm foam with the exact same cut-outs then adhered together.

As far as the "clean cuts", well, I'm fortunate enough to run a sign manufacturing department, so I used my 65 watt laser cutter (X2660 - Universal Laser Systems). Just measured out my case, figured out what size my cutouts needed to be, designed it all in Adobe Illustrator, then zipped it off to the laser cutter. Just stick the sheet of foam in and it does all the work. LoL. Sorry. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Thanks everyone for all the kudos! :)

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
It's actually 3 layers of foam:
(1) layer of 2mm as a solid "backer" so you dont see through to the mesh pockets in the original case.
(2) layers of 3mm foam with the exact same cut-outs then adhered together.

As far as the "clean cuts", well, I'm fortunate enough to run a sign manufacturing department, so I used my 65 watt laser cutter. Just measured out my case, figured out what size my cutouts needed to be, designed it all in Adobe Illustrator, then zipped it off to the laser cutter. Just stick the sheet of foam in and it does all the work. LoL. Sorry. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Thanks everyone for all the kudos! :)

Well, I was hoping for one of those for Christmas, but Santa was skeptical :D. Now that I know your "layering" technique I can probably manage the side-cuts with an exacto knife. Not as sophisticated as a laser, but I think it'll work.

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
Well, I was hoping for one of those for Christmas, but Santa was skeptical :D. Now that I know your "layering" technique I can probably manage the side-cuts with an exacto knife. Not as sophisticated as a laser, but I think it'll work.

Santa did look into it. However the elves revolted since they are still working with hand tools. They just flat out refused to make one. Unfortunately it was all Santa could do to get the elves to make a shiny new e-cig for you. Elves like e-cigs too! :)

D

Teresa44

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
SimplyDrave: Excellent job! Would you be so kind as to give us the exact dimensions of the foam inserts on both sides? I keep my foam holders that the ecigs are shipped in (the Pen, Janty, Mini) and I dont see why they cant be sized down to be fit (glued) into the case. That case is just the right size I think------compact enough to fit into a purse or jacket pocket. Yay! I'm ordering one!
Thanks!

SimplyDraven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2008
Surprise, Az
SimplyDrave: Excellent job! Would you be so kind as to give us the exact dimensions of the foam inserts on both sides? I keep my foam holders that the ecigs are shipped in (the Pen, Janty, Mini) and I dont see why they cant be sized down to be fit (glued) into the case. That case is just the right size I think------compact enough to fit into a purse or jacket pocket. Yay! I'm ordering one!
Thanks!

I can send you my vector files if you have corel or illustrator or anything, but the overall dimension of each side that i used is 3 1/16in x 4 3/8in (sorry for those on the metric system)

SimplyDraven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2008
Surprise, Az
I worked at a sign shop till Feb of this year. I was thinking of how nice it would be to have the router for a nice case. I love what you've done with this one! Where do you get your little bottles? If you sold this case mod along with those I'd buy one!!

What a fortunate shop. We haven't been particularly blessed in the female department here. LoL.

I get my bottles from USPlastics since that's where I order all my chemical and spray bottles. They are cheap and since I combine them with my orders for work, I don't have to eat the shipping. :)

Cylinder and Boston Round Bottles with Dropper Caps - US Plastic Corporation

I'm not really looking to get into business with these or anything, but since the forums have been so helpful to me, I don't mind giving back a little. If you would like me to make you a case, here are my costs:

case - $8.00
foam - $2.00
(10) bottles - $2.00 (includes a few extra)

total - $12.00 plus whatever it costs to ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread