My coil is now 5 months old of daily use, why have I not tasted the burn yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicee7

Dec 4, 2017
Hello All, my friend bought me my first vape back in March and I used it for 4 months before it broke on me but the coil would burn on me on average every 7-9 days.
Then I bought a new vape with 3 coils, 0.18 Ohm 0.3 and 0.5. I have been using 0.3 ohm since end of July and have not yet tried my other coils. I was wondering if maybe my coil is defective and masks something potentially dangerous because once every month i pull out a huge black gunk from my vape and yet it does not ever taste like a burn. I am a newb at understanding how coils work, however the juice does not have any foul taste. Am I putting my health at risk by using 5 months old coil? Is it time to change? Do I have special permanent coils? Please Help!

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Well first off you don’t have to worry if it is or isn’t filtering properly. The cotton wicks don’t filter. But with your coil not tasting burnt, I get that with my coils as well. At minimum I use a coil for a couple months. My coils never get a burnt flavor either I usually change them out when I have to increase the power to the coil because they are gunked up super bad. Even then they don’t taste burnt the just get inefficient so I swap them. My only guess is that it’s the juice. I mix my own and it’s a sweet tobacco or ry4 type juice but yea I have the same “problem” you have with coils needing to be so gunked up I can’t suck through them or the wire snapped before it’s time for a change. It’s the reason I don’t bother making my own coils. I like the performance of the factory coils and they last forever, so there’s no need. In the words of Bobby McFerrin “don’t worry, be happy”.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I am using eleaf ijust s and their original 0.3 ohm coil. I spoke to some guys at ejuice store and they told me they dont understand it and that its supposed to taste like burn. I am now terrified that it may be defective and is not filtering properly and perhaps giving me some lethal chemical reaction.

I don't use those coils, so I had to look them up. They look like regular (non-TC, probably NiChrome) dual vertical coils with a cotton wrap.

Coils are not supposed to taste burned. ;) That said, every coil will eventually wear out and stop performing well. The wire deteriorates from constant heating and cooling, the wick (and coils) collect unvaporized residue from your ejuice.

What kind of ejuice are you using? Unflavored is very coil friendly, while added flavoring, sweetener, coloring etc will gunk up your coil and wick in no time.

Does your coil still meter out at .3Ω? Did you look at the cotton wrap? Is it still white or it discolored? Look at the coil--do you see clean shiny metal or dark and gunked up coils?

Honestly, I have never had a coil that worked well after 5 months of daily use. Oh, please define daily use--how many milliliters of ejuice have been vaporized by this coil? Just curious. Five months doesn't tell me much--are you vaping 1 ml per day, per week, per month? ? 10 ml per day?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I haven't heard of this either, but if you are nervous, change the coil and see how long THAT one lasts.... You may just have a happy combination of coil and juice. With that said, coil isn't dependent on days so much, but usage, so if you are a light vaper and it's a sturdy coil I guess I could imagine it happening.

I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't been able to recognize a burnt coil by taste but if you are scraping lots of gunk off it, then I guess it's possible it's burnt and you aren't recognizing it.

Seriously, keep that coil and just go ahead and replace and see if it causes any changes.

Best of luck,

Anna

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Don't knock a gift horse!
    I had a coil last a full year once (KayFun 3.1) So it does happen, just not often. It's really hard to get all those stars aligned.

As the wire becomes thinner, the resistance will rise. When your 0.3 coil becomes a 1.0 ohm coil it will probably go "OH-Snap".

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
    The only coil cartridge I've got experience with is aspire Triton. I hate coil cartridges. That damn thing tasted burnt after 2 days. My girl friend cannot taste difference, and I think that's what's happening here. Either your only vaping 2ml a day or you have become accustomed to the taste of a burnt coil.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Walee

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2017
    None of my coils ever taste burnt but I don't wait that long to change them out. You will start loosing vapor production and flavor long before you taste burnt unless you run the coil dry. For me, changing the coils when I do, it's not a safety issue but a pleasure issue. You can always inspect the coil and see if black residue is forming on it. Eventually that black residue will start coming off the coil as you vape. That scenario is a little harder to explain. Just because the coils are turning black doesn't mean you need to replace them. When the black starts getting built up then it's time. I don't know of any pass/fail test for a coil. They just slowly (in most cases) produce less over time. You decide when it's time to go for a new one.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    thats why I had an urge to research online. but i was unable to find anywhere information on "permenent fresh tasting coils" please someone help.
    To answer this simply no coil lasts forever specially what we call drop in coils like the ones you're using at the moment. Also i've heard that some people get used to that "burnt" taste and they don't notice it, imo if you're that scared just dump it and change it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread