My conversation with a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

PansSiren

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2012
Denver
The other day I made my first post on Facebook about quitting cigarettes and switching to vaping. That was my on my 35th day of no smoking. The goal of my hidden agenda had been accomplished, I got at least 1 smoking friend to THINK about vaping. A friend commented and I threw out the link to ECF. I got a message from him yesterday and I just responded, and I think it should be shared for others to maybe benefit from, and so we can get more advice for my friend. Anyway, to my complete surprise and excitement, this is the message I got, and my response will follow. Beware, it's lengthy!

Hey [PansSiren], I just ordered my starter kit E-Cig from Boogplanet.com. I went to that e-cig forum and was really impressed. Was confused on which kind and what site to order it but finally took a shot at boogplanet. I got a 78mm Maxx Fusion with charger etc etc Also 5 cherry juice and 3 Red tobacco flavored juice. Total was $95.00. Does that sound about right? I'm really gonna give this a real honest effort at stopping the damn real cigs and slowly cut down on the nicotine level untill I'm off it! I really appreciate your post about this. I would have never tried it without any experiences from people who have tried and like it. Are you completely off nicotine? My wife may try it too!
Anyway thanks a LOT!

Mr response (oh boy, well, he asked for it! hahaha):

Hey [friend], that's great news man! Such a huge and awesome step! As you now discovered, there are tons of different types of e-cigs on the market. I know for me, the more I read, the harder it was to choose! Your setup will be a great start, and the price does sound right with all the extra accessories. These are a little pricey, but think of it this way: if you use it for about 15 days, your breaking even compared to cigarettes, then your saving! Once you start to figure out what you like and start to eliminate the trial and error process, the costs become really attractive - but beware, juice flavors and the search for THE ONE might become addicting!

I started with a slightly larger battery than yours for the first month (an "eGo" style (actually it was a Smokeless Image Volt X2)), which is pretty much the same as yours, just a longer battery life. Make sure to keep it charged and you'll be happy... rather, you'll be very disappointed when you reach for it and realize it's dead, so be proactive with the charging.

Your cartomizers will run out of juice before they actually die, so don't throw them away just yet! You'll be able to refill them from bottles of "e-liquid" (juice), and you can clean them to extend their life. Stop using it when it starts to taste burnt, the absorbing material inside may actually be burning when it's running low and the taste will be hard to get rid of. If you have a bottle of juice, you would top it off when the flavor starts to weaken. It's like a new cartomizer for the cost of pennies since you're not replacing the whole thing. Definitely look into getting bottles of liquid! Cartomizers are also known to hold onto their flavor well, so you'll usually want to stick with the putting the same flavors back in - otherwise, clean them really really really well.

One good thing about cartomizers, is that they're sold at some gas stations/convenience stores, Smoker Friendly, Walmart, Walgreens, and some other places, so you should be able to find them locally. The flavors of those brands won't be anything like what you find online, but it'd sure be great in a pinch. Just watch out for the threading, they might not all be compatible with your battery, but you may be able to get an adapter online for future emergencies. I'd find out who has what and what works with your battery, just so you can know, just in case. I've even been thinking of getting an adapter for my original battery so I can use some 'over the counter' cartomizers with mine in a pinch, but I have enough juice and atomizers for the next few months! lol! It seems like the most common treading size is 510, and you should be able to find the information for different brands you find online... the store clerk and packaging most likely won't be helpful.

I really like the e-cig, I actually prefer it to smoking. It's cleaner and the flavors are fun. I use it inside my apartment and sometimes sneak a few vapes in public places, and it's on your time; meaning it's always ready when you are, and for as long or as little as you like. They can be finicky at times and you may get a really nasty taste every once in a while, but keep with it, there's a slight learning curve - ECF (the forum) will be really helpful as you go. I'm "PansSiren" on there with a pic of me diving as an avatar. I happened to stop cigarettes instantly when I got mine, not one single puff of one! You might have a different experience, but just remember, it's not about the cigarettes you do smoke, but the ones you don't.

I'll tell you my journey now. Batteries really just come down to how long they last and/or how powerful they are, so I'll skip those. It's really about what you put on top of them. Like I said, I started with a Smokeless Image Volt X2 with "clearomizers" (paid about 80 with all the startup stuff and extras). There is no filler material in there like cartomizers, rather it's a tank with wicks that draws liquid into the heating element. They were easy to refill and held about a days worth of juice. I was in love when I got it, I thought it was great. When it came time to order a new batch of clearomizers, all the new ones I got didn't last nearly as long as the ones I originally had. I saw this as cost prohibitive and it scared me for a second, so I started looking at other options (either different brands or atomizers, cartomizers, tankomizers, etc). I found out that Smokeless Image was releasing a new "T3" (a replaceable bottom coil clearomizer instead of a permanent top coil), but it was gonna be a few weeks before they came out.

That's when I got interested in using an atomizer, since they supposedly have the best taste. Downside: you have to "drip" liquid onto it every few puffs. Ahem, um, not interested in doing that all day and when out and about. Then I discovered "bottom feeders", which looks like a small box with an atomizer on top and a big bottle of juice underneath of it that you can tip over to re-wet the atomizer. ...So I bought a Vapage Vmod XL, which is about a mid-range bottom feeder. I'M IN ....ING LOVE!!! It holds 9ml of juice (that's a lot of ....ing juice! about 5 days worth) I've also gone a full 2days without recharging the battery. I like this unit because it's hassle free. It's good to go ALL day! It won't run out or die on me, and that's good for me since I'm usually out all day and night and I don't want it to fail - i.e.; I don't want to be left stranded with nothing and resort to buying a pack (although I think I could wait it out now - AWESOME feeling! ... or I would try to find a cheap gas-station type to get me by.

I still like the X2 (or "eGo" style) battery, and it'll be a great backup. Those T3's I mentioned are available now, and I'm planning on picking a few up next paycheck (I'm out of good clearomizers and need something available laying around for it, just in case!)

I tried juices first from ECBlends.com. They are REALLY cheap and had descent reviews. They have a TON of flavors and you can even create your own. I got all sorts of flavors from them, pina colada, rum apple pie, caramel macchiato, horchata, banana blueberry, and a few others and I made my own "colorado bulldog" flavor - white russian ingredients with a splash of coke. They were all good and I made a few orders with them. However, I just got my new order from Heather's Heavenly Vapes..... WOOOWWWZZAAAA!!!! I got the Gandalf flavor that is RAVED about on ECF, and it is A M A Z I N G. It's a naturally extracted pipe tobacco flavor. I got a few of their tobacco flavors and they are all great (Gollum is another favorite of the 5 I got). I will definitely be trying more from them, but I also really want to try some others (Alice in Vapeland, Mt. Baker Vapor, Highbrow, Ahlusion, Juicy Vapor, and a few others)... did I mention this can become addicting? I almost wish I hadn't found ECF and discovered all of this greatness! lol. My only rule is, don't spend more than I spent on cigarettes, and it's all good.

...That needs to be repeated. My only rule is, don't spend more than I spent on cigarettes, and it's all good. Have fun with it and experiment. The startup can be expensive, especially since it's all new and you're basically clueless (I know I was!), but the savings will come very soon, I promise, and my best advice is to try things out to make it as enjoyable as you can. Use ECF to read reviews and ask opinions, it'll help you make good buying decisions and hopefully help avoid the bad ones. And remember, cigarettes were even MORE expensive, and given even what I already spent on e-cig stuff, I feel FOOLISH for spending what I did on cigarettes. I almost think of it not at quitting cigarettes, but switching to vaping. My goal is like yours and to wean myself from nicotine, but I personally don't feel guilty for at all using nicotine in this fashion. I enjoyed smoking but it was dangerous. I enjoy this and it's fairly safe. Now that I'm comfortable using it, perhaps this will be my future smoke. The only reason for me to quit completely at this point would be to save money. This will definitely be a good journey for me and I'm excited to see how it pans out. My opinions, thoughts, and attitude may change throughout it's course, but I'm off of cigarettes for good and that's what matters the most to me, and I can't be any happier about that fact!

I'll leave it at this for now, I could really go on for a while, but then it's really just a one sided discussion. My preferences and experiences may be different than yours, this will ultimately be YOUR journey. I've had great success with this and now I feel responsible for your success... 95 bucks is a lot to spend based on my one Facebook post. I'm sort of honored, but feel a little guilty if you know what I mean. It's definitely an investment of money, time, and some learning. But I'll tell you what, IT'S WORTH IT!! Your setup seems like a good one and you should be happy. However, I have not personally tried it or anything directly comparable. If for some reason you don't like it, don't give up, because there is light to be found! I think it's great you're giving it a go and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It really is a great life choice for your health. I'll be here for any questions and for support, and ECF is a GREAT resource. Actually, I'm going to post this entire message in the New Members section... I'll send you the link in a few minutes so you can follow it. I'm sure there will be more great advice to follow!

Good luck and congrats man, keep me updated on your journey. I'm genuinely very interested! Sorry for the huge response, but I'm excited you're giving this a shot and I wanted to share my advice, thoughts, and experiences thus far. I came into this just as you and now we're on the same path forward. I'm sure in no time I'll be getting some tips from you!

Last edited:

PansSiren

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2012
Denver
Thanks guys, appreciate it! I knew the community would like to hear another success story for ECF, so of course, I had to share! More importantly, since I have a personal interest in my friend's success, I want to make sure I gave him no foul information or lead him in the wrong direction - after all, I'm still a beginner and no expert by any means. So if you see any faults in my response, please amend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread