My copper pipe mod, aka "the fog log"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippyGirl

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Alabama
I haven't polished it yet, but here it is anyway...

hippygirl-albums-hippygirl-s-mods-picture4767-3-4-copper-pipe-mod-aka-fog-log-uses-two-rcr123a-batts.jpg

This is not my design...I based it on the "fog log" mentioned in the forum (I cannot find the link to save me!).

Whatcha think?

HippyGirl

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Alabama
Looks good, been busy haven't you.

Did you cut down the caps?

Yep...I wanted to try to keep the lines in balance. I should have made the coupling a smidge wider, though, as I was pushing it with the amount I cut off the caps.

I used a tube cutter on the first cap I cut down, but, as I apparently used too much pressure, it warped the opening, making it too small to fit onto the main body. I ended up using my rusty-trusty jeweler's saw and did a little file work on those you see...problem solved.

I'm going to make another tomorrow and use a different metal for the coupling...brass would look good. I "might" even melt down a few pieces of scrap silver, draw out a 10g wire, flatten it out, and apply a hammered texture just for the hell of it.

I could also break out my rectifier and anodize the whole thing or even do some etching...how cool would that be!

Now if I could find some REALLY nice switches.....

HG

Last edited:

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
I really like the look. Consider it stolen for my pipe mod.:)

Looking forward to seeing the silver or anodizing. Did you make jewelry or something before this? Your stuff looks better than the amount of time you've been doing this, or are you just a fast learner?

If you have been making jewelery I may have a homemade switch idea for you. I haven't got it completely worked out but the basics are there.

Yep...I wanted to try to keep the lines in balance. I should have made the coupling a smidge wider, though, as I was pushing it with the amount I cut off the caps.

I used a tube cutter on the first cap I cut down, but, as I apparently used too much pressure, it warped the opening, making it too small to fit onto the main body. I ended up using my rusty-trusty jeweler's saw and did a little file work on those you see...problem solved.

I'm going to make another tomorrow and use a different metal for the coupling...brass would look good. I "might" even melt down a few pieces of scrap silver, draw out a 10g wire, flatten it out, and apply a hammered texture just for the hell of it.

I could also break out my rectifier and anodize the whole thing or even do some etching...how cool would that be!

Now if I could find some REALLY nice switches.....

HG

HippyGirl

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Alabama
I really like the look. Consider it stolen for my pipe mod.:)

Looking forward to seeing the silver or anodizing. Did you make jewelry or something before this? Your stuff looks better than the amount of time you've been doing this, or are you just a fast learner?

If you have been making jewelery I may have a homemade switch idea for you. I haven't got it completely worked out but the basics are there.

I've been working metal for about three years...mostly sterling silver jewelry (rings, bracelets, earrings, and pins/brooches) for myself, family, and friends. I LOVE working with copper, though...it's such a beautiful metal and, like silver, is easy to work.

I'm no where NEAR being confident enough to even TRY working with gold!

I have "most" of the tools I need for what I do, but I what I REALLY want is a rolling mill and a spin caster, but, alas, no rolling or casting for me.

Sigh.....

Anyway, when you get the switch details worked out, let me know and I'll see what I can do with it.

Sherry

HippyGirl

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Alabama
So how you keeping it together? Press fit?

On the one pictured, I glued the top cap and the coupler, but the bottom cap is press fit...everything is holding together with no problems.

I made the batt tube just long enough to accomodate two rcr123 batts with about 1/4" clearance to the bottom of the batt tube and then a light tension spring is soldered into the bottom cap...that way it doesn't push the cap off but still allows the batts to maintain contact on the positive end.

Sherry

Last edited:

HippyGirl

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Alabama
Built my copper pipe useing 2 3.7v 3000mah protected 18650, 3 amp switch, 5v TI reg, filed off bolt, polished, and clear coated, got clear coat at Home D, it stands 7 3/4 in tall, 510 batt end, 510 to 901 adpt KR808D-1 adpt,and KR808D-1 cartomizer, BLOWING SOME SMOKE NOW!!!:evil:

Won't be needing to change batts for a WHILE, huh! :D

Pics?????

thomas0407

Nov 12, 2009
No but its a bit heavy and long to take to work, but at home or on a long trip its the ticket. The one I use at work is a RS 4 inch project box with 4 14500 3.6v 900mah batts, 2 series RS batt holders in parelle with a TI reg, getting 7.2v at 1800mah, reged to 5v and will last 2 days, I have not found out how long my Super Bolt will last yet. Thanks St Larence great modd but I sodered my botton copper connector on pipe so batts won't push it off and used a spring with the metal peice out of a AA batt box sodered in screw on cap on bottom, spring stays put!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread