My Costs of E-Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
Okay, almost a year on the electronic and I finally have a tally of smoking. Keep in mind this is a two-smoker household.

2007 (Only 3 months data)
Analogs = $706.49

Analogs = $2876.04
Electronic = $83.70

2009 (To date)
Analogs = $362.64
Electronic = $1440.49

Per Month Costs

Analogs = $235.50

Analogs = $239.67

Electronic = $288.10

So, vaping does cost more. I do like to keep in mind that I have bought the Kissbox, Dura-C, and now the JantyStick in those times. So, the costs have been high for trying the various products and keeping up with rotations. People should also keep in mind that I use an 8 atomizer/battery rotation. So, initial investment (for me) is 4 kits of any device I use (2 kits/person).

But the fact is clear, you won't really save money on vaping in terms of financials. But there are other things to consider.

Anybody else track their spending and can post some financials?

PS: I do have to add that trying the products out will have a higher costs for everyone. It's like when you first started smoking...you tried some Marlboro, Camel, Kools, etc...you eventually find what you like, but your initial investment was high. I expect these numbers to go down very quickly in the latter part of this year, when I am only spending money on juice and replacement parts.

UPDATE: Somebody brought up a very important point. Since 2009 had a tax hike of 1.20/pack at the Federal level in the USA, the costs of smoking has increased. I wanted to add this information. Here's what the 2009 figures, adjusted for taxes, would come to in my household. This makes electronic smoking cheaper.

Analogs: $334.58/month
E-Cigs: $288.10/month

Last edited:

The Rain Man

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Orlando
www.Esmokeronline.com
Alot of people use the cost as a huge advocate.I think when we start out we are so mesmerized by this new idea we want to buy buy buy to see what the best product is,read other people's prospectives such as myself and then finally determine.But in reality we need to determine for ourself what we like.A modded e cig is loved by some as well as a dse-901 is equal in peoples mind. I play paintball once in a gray moon but damit when I got into it I had to have the best! I spent alot more money than needed but have no regrets.Im blabbing I know but in the grand scheme of things money should be the least factor.IMHO

Last edited:

Cancer

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
i am a month in..1 dse 901,4batteries,3 atty's,20 mls liquids $130.00,1 vapor king kit and 60 ml's of juice $90.00,another 60 mls of juice $40.and i have preordered the prodigy kit with passthrough $179.00. $439.00 Total. I really think that the Prodigy is my last one, it will not need anything but atty's and sealed batteries...and juice. minus the $300.00 a month analog costs of NJ...it really cost me $139.00 to get my Prodigy plus i still have 120ml's of juice left...been using 5ml's a week.My juice could last three to 4 months, which means even if i bought 2batteries and 2 aqttys each month im looking at 40.00 bucks a month till my juice runs out.:D

davidb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I dont have a tally, but I think a big part of it is where you live too. For example if you are a pack a day smoker, and get them from out of country, you are looking at 6 cartons for about 100-120, which is 17-20 a carton, 2 a pack or so. But in the city here, unless you get a 2 pack special, you are paying 7.50-10.00 a pack depending on where you get it(2 pack specials for about 10 if you get them). My wife and I use to smoke, and would average 2.5-3 packs a day. Ill let you do the math on that, heh.

And if you do exclude the I want to try this, and I want to try this...It shouldn't be that expensive.

WendyM

ECF Veteran
So far I've spent just this side of $200 on two Envy Bliss packs, 3 refill packs of (5) carts, 30ml of Johnson's creek fluid (two 15ml bottles), and I just ordered a DSE901 starter kit with an extra atomizer. So far (including shipping) I'm at $194.94

And I've been vaping for 9 days. :D

194.94/9=$21.66 a day.

This is a top heavy purchase load though. When things level out and I find a comfort zone with vaping (and with the right PV or two) then I'll spend money primarily on replacement parts and juice.

Admittedly I'm a gadget girl, and I love all the little details of vaping and its very new and shiny to me right now.

Last edited:

The Rain Man

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Orlando
www.Esmokeronline.com
So far I've spent just this side of $200 on two Envy Bliss packs, 3 refill packs of (5) carts, 30ml of Johnson's creek fluid (two 15ml bottles), and I just ordered a DSE901 starter kit with an extra atomizer. So far (including shipping) I'm at $194.94

And I've been vaping for 9 days. :D

194.94/9=$21.66 a day.

This is a top heavy purchase load though. When things level out and I find a comfort zone with vaping (and with the right PV or two) then I'll spend money primarily on replacement parts and juice.

Admittedly I'm a gadget girl, and I love all the little details of vaping and its very new and shiny to me right now.

For me things never level out it is a constant easter egg hunt for a better unit.I can not stand mods and alot of people get ...... I say this but I cannot fathom the point of them.

Grandma Cas

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
Chesham UK
www.womens-words.com
£472.39 spent on e-vaping since mid FEB this includes various bits & bobs such as dropper bot etc.
£548.80 spent on analogs [still smokin abt 10 a day:mad:] during the same period [aprox 14 weeks] Total= £1021.19

During a 14 week period I would normaly spend £1097.60 on 2x packs of analogs a day, sometimes more.:-x So, yes I have spent about £75.00 less & I still have lots of juice & spares so, I expect the cost to go down even further over the next few weeks.:thumb:

However, it's not all about cost is it?:D

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
My total e-smoking costs endgame

Lightvaper $80
Spare batteries for roaming where I won't take the lightvaper $25
1.1 liters of juice from central trade (36mg, unflavored) $160
25 atomizers $125
Lorann's flavoring oils total costs $50 (for a decent stock)

Total endgame cost 1 year=$420
1 year analog cost=$1200
2 year end game cost (Extra attys/batteries)= $600
2 year analog cost = $2400

2 years total savings = $1800

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
I expect these numbers to go down very quickly in the latter part of this year, when I am only spending money on juice and replacement parts.

>

I hate to dis the dis-man ---

Granted, I'm a newbie and you're a year into this but from my perspective the e-cig industry is in its infancy. We only have a handful of Chinese manufacturers making these things and they all have the same theme -- make these things as cheap as possible so that customers have to buy replacement parts. There is little competition on the manufacturing end and those manufacturers seem to collude with one another toward the same means.

IOW, there is no Cadillac, no BMW, no Sub Zero grade e-cig. New products are going to continue to evolve and we're all (ok, me) going to want the best product when it becomes available. I mean, if it's a worthwhile upgrade. You've been experimenting for a whole year, Disman, so I believe you when you say you're satisfied with your status. Good for you.

Me? I can see lots of improvements on the horizon. I think lots of people are using their e-cigs in a completely different manner than they did with analogs -- and using it more often. I could easily see an evolution where the e-cig will have a BIOS program built into it. I could see the e-cig plugging into a USB port and a software program will pop-up where one can can access the BIOS and do an array of different things --

-- one could mimic the analog by timing out the e-cig after X number of drags or a time limit or both

-- one could set his/her own limit of how often a new cycle of vaping can take place. In essence, limit the amount of usage -- one cig per hour, say.

-- perhaps, the e-cig could be set up to only work with a specific mg of nicotine or have a descending order which could encourage smoking/vaping cessation and maybe place the device into a category akin to the patch, etc, and get the government off our collective backs. <g>

-- a tiny piezo electric sounder could go off when the device times out too. A reminder that it's time to put the device back in the pocket.

-- or choose no limits whatsover. I'm pretty sure this is still a free country, though sometimes I wonder.

Sorry to have drifted off your original subject. But, I think we're looking at a product that is going to change quickly and frequently. I'm pretty sure I haven't bought my last e-cig. =) I'm in no position to *guestimate* future costs. Besides, I'm still turning cartwheels that I got off conventional tobacco and thus spending money like the proverbial druken sailor. LOL

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
Well, I've spent over $1000 since I saw my first ever PV on April 30. But that's bcuase of trying to build up a stock because of the potential for government interference. If this were something that wasn't being threatened, I'm sure I would have only spent a couple of hundred for two devices and some juice. Then I could have spread out my investment.

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well between my husband and I we spent about $6,022.00 on analogs per year (3+packs per day @ $5.50 per pack- x 365) this is an average cost per pack.

So far we have purchased (estimated pricing):

2x NPro kits @79.00 per
4x Npro carts @ $20.00 per
2x DSE901 kits @ $65.00 per
1x DSE801 Kit @ $60.00
1x Janty Dura-C @$59.00
1x 510 @ $45.00
1x screwdriver @$135.00
1x Janty Stick @$79.00
1x VX2 @ $45.00
1x BluCig @ $60.00
1xM401 @45.00
Various liquids and parts: $350.00

$1,246.00 in just over 2 months vaping 8-o. So in 83 days I would break even if I needed no other equipment or juice- we know that isn't going to happen!

Now considering now much equipment we have I don't aticipate those costs to continue as they have, nor can we afford it! As you can see I've tried just about every e-cig out there in the quest to find the best. I also try them so I can recommend certain brands to certain people.

I'm aticipating our costs to be around $100.00 per month (new atty's, liquid, parts). Now with the Janty Stick coming I expect those costs to drop further since I don't have to worry about batteries.

Also, I don't buy anything retail anymore, I go to RuyanDirect for anything I need which saves a ton of $$.

Last edited:

halopunker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
New Philadelphia, OH
Now considering now much equipment we have I don't aticipate those costs to continue as they have, nor can we afford it! As you can see I've tried just about every e-cig out there in the quest to find the best. I also try them so I can recommend certain brands to certain people.

Exactly. This is where it seems new people spend the majority of their money. They wanna find the 'best'! Sad thing is when you first buy a model, you want to get the accessories for it. So when you switch models, you pretty much continue the same trend. Luckily there is a classified section at the bottom of this forum! :p

As for batteries, I use them when I'm out and about and I use a passthrough for everything else!

I use a total of 2 batteries and just make sure they're charged before I go out. I guess it's the benefit of being around a computer all the time :p

Gemini

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Birmingham
I haven't actually been keeping track of what i've spent on e cigs, i would guess at £170 since last October, 2 starter kits, extras and juice, but if i was still smoking real cigs i would have spent at least £160 a month, so i'm a lot better off moneywise, the price of real cigs here in the UK sort of pushed me into trying e cigs and i'm so glad i did.:thumb:

WendyM

ECF Veteran
For me things never level out it is a constant easter egg hunt for a better unit.I can not stand mods and alot of people get ...... I say this but I cannot fathom the point of them.

I think its because nothing is truly one sized fits all. If you can find one off the shelf that fits you, then bless you. But like guitars, computers and clothes-- some people just want a custom, some people just like to tinker.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    So far we have purchased (estimated pricing):

2x NPro kits @79.00 per
    4x Npro carts @ $20.00 per
    2x DSE901 kits @ $65.00 per
    1x DSE801 Kit @ $60.00
    1x Janty Dura-C @$59.00
    1x 510 @ $45.00
    1x screwdriver @$135.00
    1x Janty Stick @$79.00
    1x VX2 @ $45.00
    1x BluCig @ $60.00
    1xM401 @45.00
    Various liquids and parts: $350.00

QUite the collection! SO which are your top 3 from the above?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread