My Current Position with V4L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to give everyone a status update regarding my position with Vapor4Life.

It is with great sadness that I must make the announcement that I will no longer be working with Steve at Vapor4Life. I have already received numerous emails and private messages due to Steve's post earlier today asking why, so I will explain it here.

I originally contacted Steve about ordering the Vapor King product, and as I said in my review we talked that night on Skype. I asked him what the status on his website was and, since I am a Web Developer by trade, offered my services to him and sent him my resume and links to some of my past work. He was impressed by the resume and we agreed to discuss the website in more detail later on after I tried the product I had ordered. I tried the product, LOVED it, and let him know I would be more than happy to back this product 100% of the way and it would be an honor to build this website for him.

Over the next few days we developed a good friendship and made plans for me to go to Chicago so that we could meet face to face and discuss other opportunities. I arrived in Chicago and was able to see and test all of the products he offers, and we began to discuss the possibility of me handling customer service, order processing, shipping, receiving shipments, warehousing, and developing and maintaining the website. We setup an agreement the following day, and I left Chicago with all of the inventory.

When I arrived back in Ohio, I originally set everything up in my living room. Due to the facts that my living room isn't very big, there was a moderate amount of stock, and at least 10x the amount of stock I already had on the way, we made the decision to rent an actual office/ warehouse for the business, complete with a small loading station outside for trucks to deliver shipments. I also needed office equipment (computer, printer, packaging supplies and general office items).

Since Steve is funding the whole operation, the overhead after rent and utilities, website development costs, office supplies as well as my weekly salary began to get a little pricey - not to mention his large investments into purchasing large quantities of the products we sold. It's easy to see how all of this can quickly add up to a major investment.

Now if you couple the costs above with the recent news about FDA attention, unpredictability of customs, trying to start, run and grow a business and manage employees, what started off as a small operation quickly turns into the equivalent of 5 full-time job hours.

We got together, we figured out costs, tracked inventory, added up all orders from the past 3 weeks, looked at the profit margin and time invested into our work, and decided that for right now we were growing too big for our britches. After we figured up cost vs. profit, we decided we were spending more than what was coming in, and made the decision that it would be in both of our best interest if we mutually parted ways. There were absolutely no hard feelings in any way, it was something we decided to try and see how it went, and it became much more expensive than we could have initially predicted.

Steve and I are still good friends, there was no falling out, nobody did anything wrong, we only mutually agreed that it would be in the best interest of the company for the time being to downsize and minimize costs. I still fully 100% recommend the products, especially the Vapor King and the liquid. They are absolutely the best I have ever tried, and I will continue to back the product wholeheartedly.

As Steve stated in his post, please direct all emails directly to him from here on in at smilinenterprise@aol.com, as the vapor4life@gmail.com address is now inactive, and the provided phone number is no longer in use. I am returning all the inventory to Steve on Monday since that is the soonest I can make it to Chicago due to prior engagements, so I'm sure he will be shipping orders on Tuesday. I have already begun to pack the products up, so I will be unable to ship orders out tomorrow, Saturday or Monday. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience there.

It was great working with Steve and Vapor4Life, and most of all it was great working with all of you. The business is still running, operated fully by Steve once again, and business will resume as usual on Tuesday.

Thank you all for giving me the opportunity to work with you, and for the wonderful opportunity of working with Vapor4Life, even though it didn't last very long. I still had a great time even though at times I was swamped, but that's business, baby! :D

Last edited:

cobaltrich27

ECF Veteran
Well thank you both for striving to make the world a better place for us smokers.

I was really looking forward to the website but understand. I was thinking how could you get a site up and handle all of these orders at the same time?

Not that you arent capable but for me the Vapor King product is the best product around!!! I can only imagine how many orders you all must be trying to fill.

Thanks again UM so there wont be a website or can we still look forward to PlaceHolder for vapor4life.com in the near future? Sorry just wishing, hoping and prayin :rolleyes:

pwholmes

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN, US
Glad to hear the "divorce" was amicable. From what I've read and seen I have great respect for both you and Steve. I'm a cab driver, take IT guys all the time, and have done some programming and websites myself. You look and sound like an intelligent guy who would have done a bang-up job. Your announcement here was very classy and I never for a moment felt there was a conflict of interest in you reviewing the ecig and then joining Steve. I'm sorry you're gone from the operation, Chris, because I know you did your best under the circumstances, but hopefully you're staying gainfully employed anyways in this economy.

Paul

sendit2mybb

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Chris,
I thought given all the circumstances with stock issues, shipping, getting slammed with inquiries, etc..:p YOU DID A BANG UP JOB!! (IN A GOOD WAY OF COURSE). I was 1 of the lucky ones who received my Vapor King in record shipping time and truly am enjoying the extra goodies that you threw in on my order.

Again, best of luck to you and I'm sure you'll be successful! Steve, I know that you'll do a great job in getting things up and going.

Appreciate all the hard work!
~Drew

Although I do not own a Vapor King (But plan to in the near future) I would like to put my 2 cents worth into this thread.

It is my opinion that under the circumstances you mentioned on your post that you and steve did a VERY WISE business decision.

Being in business myself, I can tell you that although others may beg to differ, you and Steve are right.

The health of the business durring these trying times is of outmost importance and sometimes drastic measures need to take place.

I have seen businesses FAIL and go BUST because they were unable to handle the rapid explosion growth.

This (from what I read) seems to be the case with Vapor4Life. You guys are growing extremely fast. The laws of supply and demand has not hit the biz as of yet and that is a good thing because Steve's goal is to keep the prices down but at the same time, it is a business and people go into business to make money and make a living off of it.

In addition to the possibility of not knowing in what direction the e-cig market is going if the FDA gets involved, there will be losses and the losses need to be minimized.

You have truly been a storm trooper deficit and everyone who has ordered from you can all agree.

I am waiting to see where Vapor4Life is going with all of this (and also for the website) before I finally make a buying decesion. I have spent way to much money on trying out different makes and models of e-cigs and dont want to purchase yet another e-cig model only to find out that the biz went bust a few months later.

For the sake of the business and it's loyal customers, kudos to the both of you, and especially to you for making the ultimate sacrafice of giving up your part in the biz in order to keep it afloat.

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Looking forward to your next video review.

cobaltrich27

ECF Veteran
Hey Blue Knight Max over the past month I have spent more than $600 on vaping products mainly to build a stockpile for me and my close friends/loved ones incase the you know what hits the fan.

With that said all of my products work well so far I am lucky but I will tell you for the product size and simplicity the Vapor King is the best thing in my bunker.

I couldnt remember if it was you previously in law enforcement? Anyways if so then you know how it is if I were you I would grab a VK while you can this could all be shut down at the blink of an eye :shock:

Would be a bummer if you never got to try the best product out of the bunch HEHE.

Last edited:
Hey Blue Knight Max over the past month I have spent more than $600 on vaping products mainly to build a stockpile for me and my close friends/loved ones incase the you know what hits the fan.

With that said all of my products work well so far I am lucky but I will tell you for the product size and simplicity the Vapor King is the best thing in my bunker.

I couldnt remember if it was you previously in law enforcement? Anyways if so then you know how it is if I were you I would grab a VK while you can this could all be shut down at the blink of an eye :shock:

Would be a bummer if you never got to try the best product out of the bunch HEHE.

Yep, that would be me (Retired for 1 1/2 years now).

I just may take your advise and pick one up.

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
Thanks so much for your support, everyone! Sometimes when things like this happen, people assume the biz is going under, but this is simply NOT the case here. Steve will still be running the business as it was before I came on. It was truly unfortunate that it didn't work out, especially with all the time and effort put forth, but really the whole thing started as "let's give this a whirl, let the chips fall where they may, and see what happens".

When we discovered we had to rent space because my house wasn't big enough, and the shipment of Vapor Kings and Vapor King supplies did not arrive anywhere near the time we had anticipated, business started to slow to a crawl and yet the company was costing Smilin more to operate than ever.

With Smilin first being on vacation in Mexico for a week and then returning home sick for another week, he could offer very little help at that time in the customer service department. This made it difficult for me, since most of my time had to be spent building the website, setting up the office, setting up the warehousing, sorting and organizing and tracking inventory, generating reports, and processing and shipping orders. Sometimes I even had to handle some dealings with the manufacturers. This overload caused my ability to handle customer service the way I wanted to very difficult in terms of timely email replies and being available to answer the phone and post in the forums, although I always got caught up with them in the end and tried not to let them get more than 48 hours old (although a few emails did apparently slip through the cracks and either went unanswered or lost in the excitement and for that I do apologize).

Given all of these circumstances, it was decided that things weren't going as planned with the wait for the product shipments becoming unbearable, profits decreasing as a result and then costs increasing, and my amount of responsibilities putting me on overload and causing some areas of business to suffer.

I know Steve will be successful in this business because he truly does offer the best product at the best prices around, and his dedication to customer satisfaction is second to none. I learned a lot of new things, and it was an honor to work with him and work for you all. I wish him and all of you the best of luck, and I may start hitting the reviews again as soon as I am once again a regular forum user (suppliers cannot post in the reviews forum).

Thanks again, and happy vaping! I will be around, so I'm not saying goodbye to the forums, just goodbye to you all as a supplier :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread