• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

My doggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I have been totally excited about this new sub-forum.
As you may guess, I love animals.
Most of all, I love my doggie, Buddie. She is a Beagle/German Sheppard mix. Looks more like a Beagle physically, but has the coloring of a German Sheppard.
Let me tell you a little about her.
Of course, we (RW, my hubby, and I) think, she is adorable but there have been problems.
I got her from a no-kill shelter. I was with a friend that day and on the spur of the moment, we went in. Once inside, I walked down the isle and all it took was one look.
The little sign on her cage read Dusty, Male.
Well, if you are paying attention you know the male is wrong.
The other problem was my son’s name in Dustin and we call him Dusty.
I was told upfront that “Dusty” was two years old and had been abused. This fact really grabbed the heart strings right off the bat.
Much to the animal shelter person’s surprise, “Dusty” wearily approached me and let me put a leash on so we went for a short walk. Before you could say boo, I had her in my friend's van. Maybe it was because we saved her, but ”Dusty” accepted my friend also. I’m very thankful for that since we have a helper outside of the family.
Dog and I arrive home and RW, who, of course had no idea I was doing this, was very happy because his soft spot in life is dogs. We put our heads together and came up with a new name. Buddy.
The next couple of days are trying. When Buddy walked, she hunkered with her tailed turned down and curled under. Of course, she trusted me more than RW, but she finally starts coming out of it, and the tail comes up. She is sooo cute with it that way too.
The best part is that we can see pieces parts. AND, LOW AND BEHOLD, HE IS A SHE. So, we change Buddy to Buddie.
It isn’t much longer before we can do pretty much anything we want with her although she took a really long time to connect to my son. Unfortunately, she hasn’t connected with my daughter but that is because my daughter lives out of state and only comes to visit a couple times a year. Buddie accepts the fact that daughter is allowed in the house, but that is it.
At the beginning she snapped now and then, but she’d always miss biting us by about six inches. It took a long time to break her of that. Another problem, she had food issues. Surprisingly, this didn’t take as long as I thought to break. I can now pry those jaws apart and stick my fingers in there to remove whatever I want and that’s a biggie since I walk her just about everyday and she has found more chicken bones than I can count.
Then there was her being around other people---two years of abuse taught her not to trust and she hasn‘t gotten over that. We’ve told, and tell new, neighbors about her and made sure they have told their kids---Leave her alone, and she will leave you alone. And then we have “Beware Of Dog” signs all over the place. Of course, if you get into seeing distance, she will convince anyone right away that it’s not a good idea to come any closer.
And, yes, we realize that if she wasn’t in a no-kill shelter, they would’ve put her down, and the thought just breaks my heart. And I know from what I’m saying, she sounds terrible, but she is really a sweetie. Get her trust and she’ll love you to death.
The biggest positive changes is that she now plays. No, when we got her, she didn’t have the slightest idea how, but she certainly does now.
The other is she now talks to us. Not barking, but little doggie noises that vary with her mood. No more snapping, just a lot of talking.:)

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 47

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
How precious! That brought tears to my eyes! I wish more people would realize animals are NOT disposable!

Our shelter here does euthanize unwanted pets, and it breaks my heart. Here in my area, many people just take the unwanted pets out into the country and dump them there to fend for themselves. Some folks don't think twice about shooting strays, either! That infuriates me!! :-x I've gone back to college to get my degree in criminal justice so I can legally do something about it!

My husband and I have adopted 4 dogs who had been abandoned near our property. We call them our fur children! They each have issues, but with much love and patience they have come a long way.

Last edited:

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
jj2, if we hadn't already been friends, you've have gotten an incoming friend request in a rush after reading about your little friend. Good for you and I wish there were more people in the world like you and your DH.

Now, this may seem like a weird question, but do you watch The Dog Whisperer? If not, set your DVR up and NEVER miss a show. His techniques are AMAZING and he truly loves the dogs! (Unlike a LOT of supposed 'dog guru's'...)

All of Buddie's problems are, believe it or not, relatively easy fixes. Watch Caesar Milan or buy one of his books. (Better to watch though..it helps to see him 'in action'.)

You have a GREAT thing going with the whole, 'ignore her until she comes to you' approach with strangers. Tell them to COMPLETELY ignore her. That's what we have to do with Piper. While she's VERY friendly, she's a Doberman. They NEVER come wiggling over to a new person FIRST. If someone 'chases' her for affection, she'll bolt.

When she 'snaps', (if she's still doing it at all), SNAP your fingers at her and make a 'shhht' noise. You'll be AMAZED at the reaction they have to that!

Caesar's bottom line is a BALANCED dog. Which means she MUST know YOU'RE in charge. She's part of a PACK. When a dog knows WHERE they land in a pack environment, they're happy. She won't be as fearful with new people because YOU'RE not. Believe it or not, it's THAT simple. They DO pick up on YOUR energy. When a stranger approaches, YOU get uptight because you're worried about how Buddie will react, (will they frighten her? Will she be upset?), and she picks up on THAT. So, if 'Mom' is upset about something..it must be THAT PERSON. It's a vicious cycle that's VERY hard to break OURSELVES from.

But, end of my babble, and congrats on such a sweet baby...she's ADORABLE!! :)

Last edited:

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
I base our dog training on *whisper* techniques(Met him twice) and postive reinforcement(Never negative)I Have shown & trained many a canine with winning results..Plain simple..It works..As far as rescues God bless the people who do, and the ones responsible for them having to be rescued should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Wow!! You met CAESAR MILAN?!?!? :w00t:

IS he an alien from Mars or somewhere Whiskey? Huh? Is he? I'm relatively convinced..but, I don't care WHERE he's from, he's so good, it's downright creepy!!

Raised by wolves maybe? Huh? What say you Whiskey? Huh?

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Just Google The Dog Whisperer. I can watch the shows online. :)

I'll get to them one by one because I’d really like some hints on people interaction.
I don’t think I’m that nervous about it because I warn people way before they get close that she isn’t people friendly. Of course, that could be part of the problem because once I say something, the people get nervous. A catch 22 I guess.

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
No LOL He's not from Mars, Domino...He's accually a really cool guy, He is from Spain & came to the states to groom dogs and became what he is now...I had my pic taken with him & daddy(I will look for the pic & post it.)He is going to start touring again to do seminars...I hope to meet him a third time @ one of those(Such a fan...you could call me his Groupie LOL) I'd jump at a chance to work for him!!!!!:2cool:

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Happy tales today. First my daughter was home for a visit. This time it was just her so we got a lot of one-on-one time. That doesn't happen too much these days. It was sad when she had to go home today.
Second, Buddie did great with her. Buddie was outside and I let her in, she went and took one sniff and plopped down, rolled over---her asking to be petted and since she rolled over exposing the belly, it was stating trust. It only took eight years to reach this point but finally it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread