My Experience of a 10ml Spill of 100mg/ml

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCloudMaker

Jan 22, 2017
Paphos, Cyprus
I'm early on in my DIY juice making hobby and during my manufacturing process I spilt 10ml of 100mg/ml juice on my thigh and my errm B**s.

I know i was careless i was sitting at the table using all the correct equipment (pipettes) (syringes) and dint realize how thick the juice would be neither method was very good at drawing up the VG / PG, as I tried to draw some VG i knocked over a bottle of nic concentrate i had just moved into a smaller bottle and it went all over my trousers, this then through chaos theory caused me to drop the bottle of vg i was trying to draw and then i panicked as my dogs came to investigate.

I relocated the dogs to a safe place and proceeded to clean up the spills (whilst wearing my NRT patch trousers) about 15 minutes later all spills cleaned up i turned attention to myself. chucked my nicorette trousers in the washing machine and washed myself down.

I felt a little sick but nothing major i would compare it to the time i had my first cigar as a youth that going green feeling. i watched an episode of family guy and by the time it finished i forgot i even felt sick and even had a few pulls o my pv too.

However I have also tried American chewing tobacco, cant say what brand it was but the ball i had was about the size of a golf ball but this made me feel much worse but was only for a few minutes.

The nicotine on skin effect whilst lasting longer than the chewing tobacco was no where near as severe as the chewing tobacco and comparable to the first cigar feeling.

Despite this i still don't recommend doing it.

i also have decided not to use syringes and pipettes and such when mixing but have created my own measuring bottles, by writing measurements on the side, easier safer and no more risks of incidents.

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
Always wear gloves, open bottle and draw solution, and then immediately close nic bottle. It's the one step in DIY that is the most important (for safety). Also limits nicotine exposure to air accelerating its degradation.

Last order from NN I picked up a half dozen of those plastic conical vials. They're like a graduated cylinder, but have a screw on lid. Before using, paint the numbers and lines with clear nail polish to protect them from wear. Real easy to make a secure stand for them by using an old cardboard box.

It's good that nicotine is metabolized so quickly by the body.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The degree to which nicotine skin contact affects the person has a lot to do with the person's health condition to begin with. I've been mixing e liquid for over 5 1/2 years, and I still buy by nic solution in 48mg/ml. I'm not comfortable handling any higher. Why? Because I'm older, and have a medical history of cardiovascular issues. As careful as I try to be, accidents do happen.
I just don't think we should make blanket statements like: 'I spilled 100mg/ml nicotine in my lap, and it wasn't so bad.' It may not be, for one person; but to another, it could be a serious problem.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
yikes glad you are okay!!

like someone mentioned, the degree of how 100mg will affect someone depends on the individual's health/etc. i am a tiny 114lbs woman, it probably would of affected me a lot worse. i puked nasty brown crap for hours after smoking one cig while wearing a nic patch i put on over 4hrs earlier yearsss ago and i have pets so i have never bought more than 48mg nic to be extra safe. brain fart moment accidents can happen so best to be safer in the first place IMO

hard foam blocks are great, what i use as well to hold my bottles in place after my first flavoring episode mess! i grabbed mine at sears in the tool area out of an empty product box, it already had 18 holes in it that fit up to 15ml wide amber bottles and it cleans up easily too.

not sure how you draw your vg nic but, using syringe 'without' a needle on it works great at drawing high vg for me.

Reactions: puffon

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I don't have a high nic-tolerance at all(very often get nic-sick from over-consumption and vape 3 - 6mg), and spilling 100mg nic on my skin with washing it off afterwards doesn't even give me the slightest nic-feeling whatsoever. I am very possibly wrong here, but personally, I don't think it matters much if you have health-issues or are a small women or whatever, if not taking a bath in it and removing it as quickly as possible. With VG nic atleast, which is all i'm using, then I feel the absorption rate is very slow.

Again, I have no expertise on this whatsoever, and solely personal uneducated opinion and not telling/recommending what others should do in the least.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I'm early on in my DIY Juice making hobby and during my manufacturing process I spilt 10ml of 100mg/ml Juice on my thigh and my errm B**s.

I know i was careless i was sitting at the table using all the correct equipment (pipettes) (syringes) and dint realize how thick the juice would be neither method was very good at drawing up the VG / PG, as I tried to draw some VG i knocked over a bottle of nic concentrate i had just moved into a smaller bottle and it went all over my trousers, this then through chaos theory caused me to drop the bottle of vg i was trying to draw and then i panicked as my dogs came to investigate.

I relocated the dogs to a safe place and proceeded to clean up the spills (whilst wearing my NRT patch trousers) about 15 minutes later all spills cleaned up i turned attention to myself. chucked my nicorette trousers in the washing machine and washed myself down.

I felt a little sick but nothing major i would compare it to the time i had my first cigar as a youth that going green feeling. i watched an episode of family guy and by the time it finished i forgot i even felt sick and even had a few pulls o my pv too.

However I have also tried American chewing tobacco, cant say what brand it was but the ball i had was about the size of a golf ball but this made me feel much worse but was only for a few minutes.

The nicotine on skin effect whilst lasting longer than the chewing tobacco was no where near as severe as the chewing tobacco and comparable to the first cigar feeling.

i also have decided not to use syringes and pipettes and such when mixing but have created my own measuring bottles, by writing measurements on the side, easier safer and no more risks of incidents.
Thanks for experiment and for reporting results.
Yes, skin absorption of nic is rather slow, but still in situation as yours I would wash myself first, then treat spill and clothes.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Thank you for sharing your experience. What you experienced is in line with the spill that occurred. I've often gotten 100ml on my skin and if left to long made me a little queezy but nothing more serious than that.

Other then maybe leaving those soaked pants on a little longer then you should have (maybe wearing an apron next time would be a good idea) you handled the situation with the attention it deserved. Good job.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Danny, being a leader here of diy we try to follow you. But tellin grown men to wear aprons?? Well maybe a welders apron :)

m88Y2DZjxKvjblDDY3n6lyw.jpg

Cool gloves too

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm early on in my DIY Juice making hobby and during my manufacturing process I spilt 10ml of 100mg/ml Juice on my thigh and my errm B**s.

The only thing I would have done differently is to take care of myself first haha off with the pants then wash the skin where it spilled. I work carefully with 100 mg nic but when a spill does happen I'm not going to panic, no need too since I'm not gonna leave it on me long enough to do any harm or get that much absorbed. I've Vaped 45 mg nic salts I figure a brief exposure to 100 mg won't be fatal ;)

man00ver

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 10, 2014
    Braselton, GA, USA
    @MrCloudMaker, I'm very happy to hear you and the dogs are OK. Now, a little scolding:

RULE #1 - Banish kids and pets from the mixing area BEFOREHAND.

It seems you didn't have any nic base on the ground in this story, but that was only lucky happenstance, and dogs rushing in leads to a panicky and chaotic situation. I mix in the basement kitchen. Due to my wife's slight case of the bumbles, my dogs are conditioned to dive on anything that hits the kitchen floor. In summary, this could have been a sadder story quite easily.

I'll also reinforce what @Alien Traveler and @David Wolf said above: washing nic base off your privates should be higher priority than mopping up spilled VG. The skin is thin down there. Obviously you didn't wind up in a health emergency, but still, first things first!

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Always wear gloves, open bottle and draw solution, and then immediately close nic bottle. It's the one step in DIY that is the most important (for safety). Also limits nicotine exposure to air accelerating its degradation.

Last order from NN I picked up a half dozen of those plastic conical vials. They're like a graduated cylinder, but have a screw on lid. Before using, paint the numbers and lines with clear nail polish to protect them from wear. Real easy to make a secure stand for them by using an old cardboard box.

It's good that nicotine is metabolized so quickly by the body.
    Unless you have a decent stand for them those conical vials from NN are the worst thing to use since you have to hold them. Give me a sturdy flat bottom glass bottle and a syringe any day over those.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread