My Falcon coils burn in one day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Jess

Sep 24, 2019
I am going through a coil a day with my falcon tank. It doesn't matter which coil I use either. The M1 the M2 the dual.... they are all burning in a day or less.... yes I prime my coil! I even put it in a shot glass and let it soak in the juice for 10 minutes at least. I start out at 50W and then I unscrew the tank select that it's a new coil and bump it up to 70W because that's supposed to be the "sweet spot" ... Nothing is working , they just keep burning and my Mod is fine it's a geekvape regis or something like that the waterproof one.... I'm ready to give up because a pack of coils cost $15 so I'm spending like $30 a week just on coils...

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
What brand and flavour of juice are you using?
How long are your inhales?
Why do you remove the tank and reattach it? (new coil prompt) What is the resistance of the coil and what does the device read it as?

Did you just buy the tank?
If yes, perhaps return to the store for some personalized attention.
What tank did you use before the Falcon?

Cheers
I

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Sorry to hear of your frustration.
Many coils need a break in period, start at 10 watts below the suggested range for the coil and after a 1ml or so increase the watts "as needed".

If you are not inhaling fast enough or strong enough, you may not be cooling the coils properly. IMO, The tank you have is not a good choice if you are trying to replicate the sensation of smoking a cigarette.
Are you inhaling like the reviewer below? Start video at 4:13

HTH
I

Reactions: greek mule

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I have a falcon. Best drop in coils made. I get at least 3 weeks out of mine. You must be doing something drastically wrong to burn one in one day. Break it in SLOWLY. Start at the lowest wattage it will operate at (not the lowest number on the coil) and increase wattage 3 to 5 watts at a time about every 30 mins til you get to about 50 watts. 55 tops. These coils vape best between 50 and 60 watts but you gotta take your time getting there. And like i said, i get upwards of 3 weeks out of the coils. The mesh coil and cotton/wood pulp wicks really last and give me a superior vape. Awfully close to my best .13 ohm dual clapton builds. It was these mesh coils that caused me to practically stop building my own, im getting that kind of performance from them.

• Agree
Reactions: Iron Molly

Princess Jess

Sep 24, 2019
First of all you are pushing these coils at their limits at 70 watt.
Have you set airflow full open?
Do you inhale hard enough to drop the temperature of coil?
Have you set pre-heat?(I don't know if it has one).
No I guess what you’re saying is I need to inhale longer and harder and stop chain vaping Like I’m smoking a cigarette??

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Yes my airflow is all the way open and I vape at 70W but I break it in at 50W

50 w is too high to break in a coil. It should just get a bit warm the first few times.

Do not soak the coil in a shot glass, just prime the cotton, install in the tank, fill the tank. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. If that’s not enough, let it sit longer.

Try a few no-fire hits. Fire briefly at the lowest power it will fire at, very short bursts of one second or so.

Take your time. Go as slowly as you need to with increasing the wattage and time of fire.

This is really overkill usually... but if you’re getting burnt coils, you go as extreme on the break in as you have to in order to avoid it.

Please do not go back to smoking. Gear that doesn’t work well for you is not a waste of money, it’s a part of the learning curve. If this tank doesn’t work for you, there are loads of others you could try, and you have a great mod to put them on

Reactions: greek mule

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Never have I used lower wattages to break in a coil. TBH, I do not even know how breaking in works. Perhaps someone can elaborate.

What is key is full saturation – ensuring that the wick that is in contact with the coil is fully saturated. If it is, then you should be able to operate that coil within it’s recommended range. 10 watts can burn a dry wick just as 50 watts can

Priming a coil is a process of ensuring the wick is fully saturated prior to that first fire. Many methods to prime a coil but if your first few hits are not burnt, then you have primed that coil and the problem is elsewhere.

Coils work on capillary action – as your coil heats, it draws liquid toward them. But there are still limitations to this process for capillary action can only work so fast and can differ from coil to coil. If you are chain vaping, which its frequency is somewhat subjective, then it is possible you are consuming vapor at a faster rate then what the capillary action of your specific coil is able to provide. With mesh coils this can further be a problem given their high surface area, quick ramp up does tend to vaporize juice at a higher rate.

The frequency of problematic chain vaping is difficult to determine. Try taking longer pauses between draws – even a few seconds can be beneficial. You can also lower your wattage. You may not detect a difference between 60 to 65 watts vs 70 watts, but that 5 to 10 watt difference could prolong the life of your coil. Higher wattages vaporise juice at a faster rate. Also, the time you detect that hint of burnt taste, put the device aside and allow time for it to re-saturate itself. The Falcon coils also have a min juice level marked on the coil head – ensure you are above that level.

Juice also plays a large roll. Higher VG means a thicker viscosity which means a slower saturation to the coil. Not familiar with the juices you are using, but if they are 70 to 75% VG you should be OK. Sugars within the juice also burn and carbonize to the coil. This can lead to burnt tastes and also create hot spots which leads to burning the wick.

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
Do you actually get a burnt taste, to be honest this has never happened to me before, yes I get some dry hits every now and then with my own coils if I've not wicked them correctly but never with stock coils, I've got a mesh pro with a coil that is 2 weeks old and still ok,it's getting to the end now and needs replacing, I'm sorta thinking that you're mod might be malfunctioning and spinning out more watts than it says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread