My first attempt after months of research. Critique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
I just had so much fun that I had to post. Just did my first batch of DIY, and loved it (even though its well over 90 out, and my screened in patio was quite warmer than that.)

So what I bought over the last month (or was given by friends in industrial supply business, I'm poor and all that jazz)

1. 100mg 30ml bottle of nic base in PG
  2. 1 quart of PG (food grade)
  3. 1 quart of VG (food grade)
  4. Flavorings: Apricot, Bavarian Cream, Caramel, Double RY4, French Vanilla, Plum, Strawberry, Kiwi, Cheesecake NY Style, Orange Cream, Pear + some candy flavors from Lorrann that I had left over from candy making last year with the kids (watermelon etc.)
  5. 100ml graduated cylinder
  6. 250 ML flask

So, I didn't make all the flavorings up (not enough empty bottles for that), but I made a few and am letting them rest before I test. Here is what I did.

I made 118 ml of a approximate 13mg nic "base" in 70/30 PG. Something for me to measure out of and add flavorings to as I want. I went with 13mg since I wanted to add flavorings separately, and with other additions I figure it will get fairly close to my target of 12mg.

15ml nic
67.26 ml PG
35.4 VG

Is what my calculations said would be correct, I double checked with e-juice me up calculator, and it agreed, so I went with it.

Once I made my base I made 4 5ml bottles with flavorings. After lots of research (over the past few months as I picked out what I needed and placed orders) I decided to put citric acid via concentrated lemon juice (ReaLemon) into each of them. I made each using 5% total flavoring as recommended as a starting point for all flavorings from Wizard labs (which sent me these wonderful little pipettes with ml markings as a bonus. My pipettes were just 3ml ones no marks.)

So, the 5ml bottles of flavored juice are.

Double RY4, 3 drops of lemon juice as that seems to be the agreed upon "ideal" for it in the vinegar thread. I have never tried RY4 before so here is to hoping I like it :)

Kiwi strawberry, 2 drops of lemon juice.

Bavarian cream, 1 drop lemon juice.

Strawberry cheesecake, 2 drops lemon juice.

I am waiting for them to meld for a little while before I try them, I figure another half hour and I will give it a go and see which ones need to steep or not.

I made every attempt at safety, no kids or pets in the screen room, no distractions outside as well as since its outdoors I had good ventilation, double checked my math and had my husband work it out as well and verify my findings. Used well marked, and accurate measuring devices. sturdy table and did all my work in the container I keep everything stored in once I put everything out on the table (66 quart plastic storage box) just in case of spills since the screen room is carpeted. Wore gloves... did I miss anything?

This was so much fun, it has been YEARS since I had a reason besides cooking to measure and mix stuff and play around with tastes. I feel I have a new addiction :) If anyone has any critique, comments, or suggestions please post! I want to get the most out of my DIY and commentary is one of the best ways I know of to learn :)

Thanks for reading my wall of text!

Edit to add: I completely forgot to write that I add 5 drops of Ez sweet to all my juice, even the juice I get from vendors. So all the above made 5ml bottles have 5 drops of ez sweet in them as well.

Seri~

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Seri,

Sounds like a grand start!
thumbsup.gif
Just be sure to report back on your efforts. This forum just luvs reports. And that's even considering the diffs in personal preferences. ALL inputs help us in determining in which direction each of us venture.

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
All the flavorings I did today were from Wizard labs, Im not sure what all they carry, but I just looked quick and the Bavarian cream was from the flavor apprentice, strawberry as well. Cheese cake was lorann's. I suppose I should make note of what flavors I have and which brand they are and write it all down.

Last edited:

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
Hehe I have everything written down in my kindle, and my kindle backs up to my cloud every hour on its own :) I put it all in as an excel document so its easy to read.

Ok, so I cleaned my atomizer and took off my drip shield for quick testing. I can see why so many people love RY4. Kinda caramel flavored with something else I can't place.. Its good though!

The Kiwi Strawberry tastes just like my favorite soda, even kinda fizzy feeling in my mouth... No clue how I got that.

The bavarian cream was kinda weak... I think it may go better as an addition in other flavors when I want a creamy taste to them (like when I find Dr pepper flavor at some point... I love berries and cream Dr pepper soda.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread