my first attempt an abysmal failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeptrout

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2009
Utah
so here is what i did. I took about 2ml of glycerine and added flavor from my local supply store, the flavor did not contain oils and it just had the flavor and it was cut with a blend of VG and PG (youd think they made this stuff just for vaping) so i blended the 2ml vg and flavor in a small eye dropper bottle and added 2 drops to my cartridge.

wouldnt you know it, it tasted nothing like grape it tasted exactly like burnt wet dog hair that someone had ...... on.

i took off the atomizer and cart to try and clean them both and switched to the already mixed nicquid until i can figure it out

deeptrout

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2009
Utah
What kind of flavor was it?? what brand?

I don't even wanna know how you know the taste of burnt wet dog hair that someone had ...... on.

i got the flavors from a bakery supply store thier source is National Flavors - Flavoring Materials for Baking, Candy, Ice Cream : Natural Extracts and Concentrates upon checking the ingredients list everything seemed on the up and up. im going to try again but im gonig to cut the glycerine, it seemed kinda thick.

to be honest ...... on burnt dog hair may taste like raspberries but im guessing it is closer to the stuf i tried puffing last night

deeptrout

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2009
Utah
trout, there's a local candy making supply company that sells lorann's flavoring (about 20 diff flavors. Check Bakers C&C, it's off of 3rd W. around 11th S. in salt Lake, just so you know.

funny you should mention them, thats actually where i got my flavors, they dont carry loranns anymore they were also the source of my VG

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
I hate menthol

You just do a drop or two. You don't really taste it if you do it right. It just lifts up the flavor a bit. I don't like menthol either but have menthol juice in everything because it 'lifts' up whatever else I have in there.

Oh and that's an awesome description :)

//burnt dog hair ...... on. Fantastic!

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
I'm betting it was just simply too thick, and had not even had much of a chance to wick down into the atomizer coil from the mesh bridge before you started vaping. So you got that nasty burning taste.

Often when people use glycerin/VG, they are mixing with another nic liquid, so the glycerine is thinned out naturally. But when using almost straight glycerin for a no nic liquid, or a major cut in nic liquid, something else must be added to thin the glycerin. That's why you see mention of either distilled water or high proof alcohol being used in some recipes. Not too much of either, but just enough to thin the glycerin so it will wick better. Or even pg can be used, which would more closely replicate cutting a bought liquid.

Hope that helps.

deeptrout

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2009
Utah
I'm betting it was just simply too thick, and had not even had much of a chance to wick down into the atomizer coil from the mesh bridge before you started vaping. So you got that nasty burning taste.

Often when people use glycerin/VG, they are mixing with another nic liquid, so the glycerine is thinned out naturally. But when using almost straight glycerin for a no nic liquid, or a major cut in nic liquid, something else must be added to thin the glycerin. That's why you see mention of either distilled water or high proof alcohol being used in some recipes. Not too much of either, but just enough to thin the glycerin so it will wick better. Or even pg can be used, which would more closely replicate cutting a bought liquid.

Hope that helps.

i'm pretty sure its the flavor it seems fine for the first 3 puffs or so, then everything goes south, also i tried using PG with the same result. so i will be adding the flavors i have to my baking supplies and im going to buy some loranns next time im at a store that caries it, as much as i hate to say it after my current unflavored liquids have been used up unless there is a fortunate turn of events im losing my excitement for DIY nicquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread