My First Bottom Feed Box Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
First off I wanted to thank everyone in this sub forum for all the great information, without it I would of never been able to put something together in such short manner.

After observing all the different direct feed mods being released, I wanted to see if I could produce something that incorporated this functionality. I wanted to use wood instead of plastic for my enclosure, but I am an amateur when it comes to dealing with wood, so I enlisted the help of my father who is an experienced wood worker (and someone who has the tools to make the enclosures properly).

I have two working prototypes that I have been using in rotation for about 3 weeks now. I make any changes (design and build) to one of them, and if it works out I move it to the second prototype. Both boxes are bottom feed systems that use 3ml bottles, one uses a 18500 battery, while the other uses a 18650 battery.

While both are similar, there are some differences between the two. The 18500 is the first prototype and has some newer features that I just started incorporating into the 18650 box.

18500 box, has a slide master on/off switch (will be integrated into the 18650 box once I source a switch I am happy with), uses a semi direct pipe feed system (the filler pipe that runs into the atty also feeds into the bottle cap using a teflon tube as a gasket at the bottle end of the tube, then uses another teflon tube that runs inside the bottle). The feed tube is also my positive lead that I solder to my momentary switch. Instead of using an epoxy for anchoring the battery connector to the box, I used a steel grommet (thats brass coated) with an o-ring beneath it. I compress it into a recessed hole in the box, then use a brass plate as an anchor inside the box. The brass plate is also my negative bus and is soldered to the battery connector rim. I use another brass plate as my positive bus that runs down the right side and bottom of the box and is soldered to the momentary switch (small wire from switch to buss). The cover for the box uses rails to sit in alignment, while the magnets hold the cover to the battery (and therefore the box), this makes for easy opening and closing. I also fabricated a feed button on the cover for ease of pumping liquid into the atty.

The 18650 box is basically the same, but slightly larger and does not (in the pictures below) have all of the components as the 18500 box, yet. I also changed the feed system slightly on this box (since I have more working room for the connection). This is not pictured, but I have a single teflon tube that runs from the bottom of the bottle into a silicone hose out the top of the bottle, the silicone hose then connects to the filler pipe that has a teflon hose as a gasket.

As of now both work great and have really opened my eyes to bottom feed systems, I get great vapor and taste with both and no longer have to deal with dripping (especially while I'm driving) or using cartos that have a tendency to burn the filler in them. I will post more pics and information later as time is available.

Happy vaping.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 527
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 509
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 485
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 587
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
Instead of using an epoxy for anchoring the battery connector to the box, I used a steel grommet (thats brass coated) with an o-ring beneath it. I compress it into a recessed hole in the box, then use a brass plate as an anchor inside the box. The brass plate is also my negative bus and is soldered to the battery connector rim. I use another brass plate as my positive bus that runs down the right side and bottom of the box and is soldered to the momentary switch (small wire from switch to buss). The cover for the box uses rails to sit in alignment, while the magnets hold the cover to the battery (and therefore the box), this makes for easy opening and closing. I also fabricated a feed button on the cover for ease of pumping liquid into the atty.

The way you anchor the connector sounds very professional.
And intrigues by this statement "fabricated a feed button on the cover for ease of pumping liquid into the atty."

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
Thanks everyone for the compliments, really appreciate it!

The way you anchor the connector sounds very professional.
And intrigues by this statement "fabricated a feed button on the cover for ease of pumping liquid into the atty."

Thank you Kemuri, the anchor for the connector came out of trial and error. My first version used epoxy putty, but I found that I needed to use a form to get it to look the way I wanted to and still be functional (It really needs to be packed in tight to get to make sure it would not leak). It was also very tough to remove once the epoxy hardened (just in case I need to replace the connector, feed pipe, etc). After testing the o-ring, I added the steel grommet and it seems to be working great, no leaks so far. It also makes it extremely easy to replace the connector, infact every component on the box can be replaced without any damage to the enclosure.

The current feed button, is my 6th revision of it, it really was tough to get it functional yet not be too obtrusive (my earlier versions got caught on everything), this one is functionally sound and does not get caught on my pocket!

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
beautiful bottom feeders kaji! as a fellow woodworker i tip my hat to your father, and to you for your creativity in this mod

Thanks Davey, my fathers knowledge and workmanship have really turned this mod from something that looked garage built into something that looks like it was factory produced. His ideas are in just about every aspect of this mod.

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread