my first dual coil (but fail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say as far as "one side being "stronger" than the other. What do you mean? If they are the same resistance, I'm not quite sure how one could be "stronger" than the other.

Are you noticing more vape from one coil than the other (although I'm not quite sure how you would?) Also, coil placement and wicking play a role, it's one reason that dual coils can be a bit challenging to begin with. There are so many variables, it could also be your airflow, I guess.

And, I am just guessing since the fact is, unfortunately, that I'm not entirely clear on what you are trying to state to begin with. If they are the same build, material and resistance (0.6 for each coil) one really shouldn't be "stronger" than another. So I'm a bit confused about your question could you clarify?

Anna

Reactions: SonnyCooL

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That’s a common problem for me and dual coils and one of the reasons I gave them up. Electricity follows the path of least resistance even though the difference may be very small. The reason dual coils work at all is as the electricity heats the wire the resistance goes up so they eventually even out. The greater the difference in resistance between the two coils (and there will always be one) the longer it takes. Even a very small difference is more than enough to unbalance a coil pair in my experience.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say as far as "one side being "stronger" than the other. What do you mean? If they are the same resistance, I'm not quite sure how one could be "stronger" than the other.

Are you noticing more vape from one coil than the other (although I'm not quite sure how you would?) Also, coil placement and wicking play a role, it's one reason that dual coils can be a bit challenging to begin with. There are so many variables, it could also be your airflow, I guess.

And, I am just guessing since the fact is, unfortunately, that I'm not entirely clear on what you are trying to state to begin with. If they are the same build, material and resistance (0.6 for each coil) one really shouldn't be "stronger" than another. So I'm a bit confused about your question could you clarify?

Anna
this is how i tell.
20180501_000608.jpg

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Connection issue, one coil lead is not making as good contact on one end as the other. In order for that clamp to work with 2 coils, and especially with fat wires, you have to make sure both are squeezed equally by the clamp. Put the wire leads for each end of both coils right next to each other and in the center of the connection clamp. Tighten the 2 screws evenly (ie - keep the clamp faces parallel) until it makes good contact with both end wires. If you have them both properly trapped, a tug on either coil should not move it. Then tighten each screw equally, maybe a quarter to half turn at a time until you know they're both good and tight, and equally tight. If that top clamp is squeezing one wire better than the other, you'll get uneven heating.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Connection issue, one coil lead is not making as good contact on one end as the other. In order for that clamp to work with 2 coils, and especially with fat wires, you have to make sure both are squeezed equally by the clamp. Put the wire leads for each end of both coils right next to each other and in the center of the connection clamp. Tighten the 2 screws evenly (ie - keep the clamp faces parallel) until it makes good contact with both end wires. If you have them both properly trapped, a tug on either coil should not move it. Then tighten each screw equally, maybe a quarter to half turn at a time until you know they're both good and tight, and equally tight. If that top clamp is squeezing one wire better than the other, you'll get uneven heating.
Hmm. I’ll have to try this. Personally I’m doubtful that uneven wire pressure would cause this but it’s worth a shot.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018

thank you ....
one of the wire is on top of other, without magnify i can't see, thanks u save my day ....
:)

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Hmm. I’ll have to try this. Personally I’m doubtful that uneven wire pressure would cause this but it’s worth a shot.
It isn't so much the pressure, but even pressure will almost always result in good connections for both coils at both ends. The coils are the same, the lead length pretty much has to be the same given the space inside the atty, the connection point is the only spot a difference in resistance can occur. Get that top half of the connection "cocked" any at all, and a bad connection is very likely.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It isn't so much the pressure, but even pressure will almost always result in good connections for both coils at both ends. The coils are the same, the lead length pretty much has to be the same given the space inside the atty, the connection point is the only spot a difference in resistance can occur. Get that top half of the connection "cocked" any at all, and a bad connection is very likely.
Not necessarily. There can be variances in the metal, minuscule winding differences, etc.. I still plan to test this though. The mods I’m using atm are all set up single coil so it may be a while.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
I agree with that essentially, nothing is perfect, though it is likely the coils are wound from the spool right after each other (but I don't know that). However for the firing difference he's showing in the picture, that is very likely a connection difference. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread