My first exp with snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
Well I like my ecig but it aint cutting it so I decided to try snus. Since I didnt want to buy a bunch and find out that I hate it I bought Camel mellow what I found out is I could like snus but the camel is way to sweet and kinda taste crappy. What flavors taste more like tobbacco? I'm thinking about going with licorice if I cant find a tobbacco flavor.

Brewster check out northerner and getsnus they have reviews and selections.

For the lower nic I like Discreet full flavor, like camel not as much sweet more of a full tobacco flavor.

For the nic monsters,
Claq qui if you can get over the salty sledgehammer blast.
Oden's extra sterk kanel, a bit wet but got used to it fast.
General's has a good line the wintergreen kinda won me over.
Skruf is hmm still out on that one but enjoying it also.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Hey dredbull, life good?

brewster, I'm another one finding my way around snus. And liking it! Camel mellow was the 1st one I tried as well and I had the same reaction as you. dred steered ya in the right direction with getsnus. Good place to get your, er, lip wet :p
After a few days went by I found I really liked the flavor of the Camel. The Camel and the Discreet both seem to not really satisfy the nic cravings as well as the swedish ones for me and they both tend to get a funky kind of bitter taste after more than 45 minutes or so.

Funny, with vaping we all know that taste is so very subjective, snus is no different. But it's definitely a whole lot cheaper to try different brands and flavors of snus then e-juice!

So again dredbull got some good directions for you, I'll offer an insight of my own. My 1st order from getsnus was ALL General brand products and that was a mistake. I'd suggest you make sure your 1st order is for a variety of brands to get a better spectrum of flavors.

General Wintergreen White portions are damn sure tasty!

OK my take on the last week of these snus just to give you a general idea.

Roda's Claq qui is a monster in a packet form. It seems to be a love it or loathe it. Dried fruit pungent and salty. aquired taste but its a struggle.

Oden's extra sterk kanel is supposed to be cinnamon but I found it mellow semi salty and VERY nic fit slaying.

Skruf cranberry, think crasin in the background very mellow and smooth. It is going to be a keeper.

Onyx do not let the nose fool you it is smooth, my fav of the bunch for a mellowing snus. think earl gray tea not over powering just there.

General wintergreen, Makes me think of toothpaste and skoal at the same time.. BUT good smooth not over powering. It is a keeper.

Grov black umm ya that one is a not again on my list. Was thinking OH good like onyx.. being a black packet is the only thing in common. Over the top not pleasent at least to me.

Discreet, sampler.
Full flavor is camel mellow without the sugar boost.
Artic mint is a bit like windex. I liked it tho
Emerald is very sweet.
Peach and strawberry not so much once the fruit went it was acrid and rancid to me.

Onyx, skruf and oden are reorders for me. Will have to beg for usps on the next order just to make sure.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
If your cig isnt doing it for you Id suggest getting a mod at 5 or 6 volt and some higher nic juice maybe. It might make a difference. I don't know what you have been using but different devices are much better than stand ecigs imo. good luck!

Using dse 901 and 24 mg ejuice. I kinda think I screwed up on my ecig the 901 produces plenty of vapor but kinda weak on the throat hit. I do have to say i like this snus stuff.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
OK my take on the last week of these snus just to give you a general idea.

Roda's Claq qui is a monster in a packet form. It seems to be a love it or loathe it. Dried fruit pungent and salty. aquired taste but its a struggle.

Oden's extra sterk kanel is supposed to be cinnamon but I found it mellow semi salty and VERY nic fit slaying.

Skruf cranberry, think crasin in the background very mellow and smooth. It is going to be a keeper.

Onyx do not let the nose fool you it is smooth, my fav of the bunch for a mellowing snus. think earl gray tea not over powering just there.

General wintergreen, Makes me think of toothpaste and skoal at the same time.. BUT good smooth not over powering. It is a keeper.

Grov black umm ya that one is a not again on my list. Was thinking OH good like onyx.. being a black packet is the only thing in common. Over the top not pleasent at least to me.

Discreet, sampler.
Full flavor is camel mellow without the sugar boost.
Artic mint is a bit like windex. I liked it tho
Emerald is very sweet.
Peach and strawberry not so much once the fruit went it was acrid and rancid to me.

Onyx, skruf and oden are reorders for me. Will have to beg for usps on the next order just to make sure.

Thanks Dredbull I did go to getsnus and got some licqorice and some general but I will keep this list and keep it in mind when ordering more. It is great not having to chain vape to get my fix.

BeRight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2009
Ellicott City, Maryland
Thanks Dredbull I did go to getsnus and got some licqorice and some general but I will keep this list and keep it in mind when ordering more. It is great not having to chain vape to get my fix.

I am with you, been vaping and using SNUS for over a year now. I just don't get enough of something (nicotine maybe) by vaping only.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
If you're looking for a pure tobacco taste there are a few that could work for you. I tend strongly towards the straight tobacco taste so I'm with you on that.

Ettan: Mild pure tobacco. For many, including myself this is the go-to snus.

Grovsnus: A bit stronger flavor. Some people say they pick up a pickle flavor with it (odd as that sounds). On occasion I pick that up but mostly a bit more bite to it then Ettan. I guess some may think of that as pickle. Ya gotta try it as it's a real classic in the snus world.

Odens Classic: Another pure tobacco snus with a sweet side to it. It's really growing on me.

Phantom Brown: Tobacco flavor with a sweet wood-smoke added in. A bit more iffy but worth a try.

Another one that I just started using, and is growing on me very quickly is 01. It took a bit to get used to but I'm really starting to like it. Mild tobacco flavor with an herbal flavor mixed in.

I like the licorice at times. Stay away from the catch licorice, a really bitter side to it for me, not a pleasant experience. I would suggest LD black.

Last edited:

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
I've think I've tried everyone of the flavors/brands listed here and finally settled on the Thunder line by V2. I prefer the mint flavor during the day, but first thing in the morning I need NIC!!!

What I've finally worked out for me is to have a couple of Thunder Frosted and Regular portions for first thing in the morning and the minis to get me through the day.

Only problem I'm having now is my e-cig is setting on my desk uncharged and collecting dust. The Thunder has a major nic kick, the original portion is 16mg and the minis are 8mg. For some reason they deliver the nic hit faster than any of the others I've tried.

Just gotta know that GetSnus is a little slow on shipping, so leave yourself enough time for it to arrive. Northerner has UPS 2nd Air, but ouch is costs.

isande

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
I, too, go for the strong stuff first thing in the morning. I used to smoke half a pack of cigs over the first hour or so I was awake .. and then I was back to normal. On the e-cig, I'd vape 48mg frantically all day long and never hit "normal". With snus, I pop in an Oden's Kanel Extra Stark or Skruf Stark or General Ekstra Sterk and about 10 minutes later I am back to my normal self. Woo!

Mocca Macchiato is great, I just wish it came in a big fat original portion instead of a dry white mini. It does taste wonderful and smells even better. Love the tin it comes in, too. Unfortunately it delivers perhaps 1/3 of the nicotine I need to feel myself, but it does give me a nice break between stark portions.

--K

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
You're a brave man, Bardic. I usually reach for my Thunder at mid-afternoon. I start off slow, with a 4mg Stonewall dissolvable, then move on to mini snus portions, then the Thunder. Gotta warn my body about what's about to head its way!

After 10 yrs in SF and SOCOM, I need a major jolt in the morning to get things working. My poor roommate has to water my coffee down to be able to drink it. :D

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Good morning folks
Hey isande, my most recent order was by and large your recommendations. 'Nuther big thank you! We're in agreement about the Macchiato, REALLY wish it came in a portion other than mini.
Tried both Skruf and Offroad cranberry, not much difference 'tween the two. Light berry taste, faint tobacco, flavor fades fast but they do seem to deliver the nic.
Haven't tried the Mocca Pomegranate or the free Nick and Johnny Black yet but...
The Probe Whiskey!!!!!!!!!!!
Popped one last night after dinner. I was absolutely amazed! It was sooo much like savoring small sips of Kentucky Bourbon I could hardly believe it.

So next order appears I'll be trying something from Ettan and perhaps the 01. So far I seem to be leaning towards medium tobacco flavor, portions that are around 11mg or less.

Further recommendations anyone?

But the Machiatto! Ahhh... Machiatto.... :D

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Hey Guys I am just wondering does the stuff from getsnus have more kick than Camel mellow?

In a word, Yes!
I haven't been able to confirm, but it's been said that the Camel portions are supposed to be between 7 and 8mg per portion. Camel is made for RJR by British American Tobacco, a tobacco processing firm based in London.

Aside from the Discreet, 'nuther American made snus, everything else getsnus carries is Swedish in origin. Once again I'd need to defer to one of the other users for specifics, but it comes down to chemistry.

pH balance has quite alot to do with release of nicotine. Anecdotally, I like the taste of the Camel products but even the Mocca mini portions at 5mg slack the nic better. All the other brands I've tried so far are mainly 8mg per portion, a few are 11, 13 and 15mg per portion. The ones higher than 11 are too strong for me, but snus at 8 and 11 take care of business nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread