My first large DIY Flavor Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
So besides grabbing a couple of flavors from Liquid Barn when buying a scale and nic base, I have yet to buy flavor concentrates. I thought with the holiday sales, this would be a good time to make a decent sized order. I have yet to press the confirm button, but all of these flavors are currently sitting in my cart. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or observations that come to mind regarding my selections:

Banana Nut Bread-TFA
DX Bavarian Cream-TFA
Wild Blueberry-TFA
Cactus Concentrate-INW
Cheesecake (Graham Crust)-TFA
Coconut-TFA
Cookie-FA
Fresh Cream-FA
Dragonfruit-TFA
Forest Fruit-FA
Fuji-FA
Golden Pineapple-Cap
DX Juicy Peach-TFA
Key Lime-TFA
DX Marshmallow-TFA
Meringue-FA
MTS Wizard-FA
Pear-FA
Ripe Strawberry-TFA
Super Sweet-Cap
Sweet Cream-TFA
Sweet Guava-Cap
Sweet Strawberry-Cap
Vanilla Swirl-TFA
Watermelon-TFA
Whipped Cream-TFA

I figured this was decent mix of primary flavors and mixers such as creams and vanillas. But I could be wrong. Let me know.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Get some Bilberry flavor, you won't regret it.

Not too many other berries in your fruits, although forest fruit is lovely.

Get some rhubarb if you like not too sweet, also pomegranate, and etc.

The rest of it looks good to me, and I apologize I am terrible at flavor makers. I know there are a few to be avoided and some to be loved, but my favorite Biblerry came as a gift and I can't even make out who the maker IS, although I have several of them, and most are good.

Oh and mango, and apricot (it's the holy trinity of peaches) to add depth to your peaches and cream. Perhaps.

IDK they're just ideas, most of it looks good to me. Although I REFUSE to buy more currently, a) until I use up what I have and/or at least travel across the country with them. Oy.

But yeah, the other thing that goes well with fruits: booze. Pink Champagne (FW) It's light and bubbly and AWESOME. Marsala Wine (I think I got it from Chef's though and rather a lot of it) is another good one. Flavorah, Brut Bubble Wine is also pleasant.

I am a superfan of brandy near anything, but the wines and fruits make a lovely pairing. If nothing else, if you can get some Pink Champagne to try, I would. I think PJReid introduced me to it, or it could have been JCinFLA. But, it's really good.

Have fun!

Anna

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I am not sure what your taste buds would say, so I hope your choices work.

For me, I bought all kinds of different flavors at first, but did not use them all. What I did not do was to determine what flavors, outside of vaping that I liked. Surprisingly, that was the trick for me.

If you are going to DIY, you will need a lot of little bottles for testing flavors. A single recipe can have 6-9 different mixes when you consider that percentages of each flavor/ingredient can make or break a recipe.

Consider blueberry and cream; how much blueberry?, how much cream? If you make three different percentages of blueberry and three different percentages of cream, you get a lot of little test bottles made.

DIY is a lot of testing of different mixes. Don't forget to take notes because when you make them and when you finally test them can be time to let the flavors meld in the test bottles.

After about 6 months, I had 4-5 good recipes. It takes time.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
Get some Bilberry flavor, you won't regret it.

Not too many other berries in your fruits, although forest fruit is lovely.

Get some rhubarb if you like not too sweet, also pomegranate, and etc.

The rest of it looks good to me, and I apologize I am terrible at flavor makers. I know there are a few to be avoided and some to be loved, but my favorite Biblerry came as a gift and I can't even make out who the maker IS, although I have several of them, and most are good.

Oh and mango, and apricot (it's the holy trinity of peaches) to add depth to your peaches and cream. Perhaps.

IDK they're just ideas, most of it looks good to me. Although I REFUSE to buy more currently, a) until I use up what I have and/or at least travel across the country with them. Oy.

But yeah, the other thing that goes well with fruits: booze. Pink Champagne (FW) It's light and bubbly and AWESOME. Marsala Wine (I think I got it from Chef's though and rather a lot of it) is another good one. Flavorah, Brut Bubble Wine is also pleasant.

I am a superfan of brandy near anything, but the wines and fruits make a lovely pairing. If nothing else, if you can get some Pink Champagne to try, I would. I think PJReid introduced me to it, or it could have been JCinFLA. But, it's really good.

Have fun!

Anna
Thanks for the input. I have bilberry on my list of flavors I am interested in as well as mango and some other fruits. However, I just didn't want to go overboard on my order. If I put everything in my order that I have on my wish list, it would be significantly larger.

In regards to booze flavors, that is something I am not interested in myself. I understand that booze and fruits pair nicely together, but as a teetotaler, I avoid booze flavored anything really.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I figured this was decent mix of primary flavors and mixers such as creams and vanillas. But I could be wrong. Let me know.

Looks like a really nice selection to me! You've got a good variety of primary flavorings, several of the commonly used blenders, and a few additives. :thumbs:

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
I am not sure what your taste buds would say, so I hope your choices work.

For me, I bought all kinds of different flavors at first, but did not use them all. What I did not do was to determine what flavors, outside of vaping that I liked. Surprisingly, that was the trick for me.

If you are going to DIY, you will need a lot of little bottles for testing flavors. A single recipe can have 6-9 different mixes when you consider that percentages of each flavor/ingredient can make or break a recipe.

Consider blueberry and cream; how much blueberry?, how much cream? If you make three different percentages of blueberry and three different percentages of cream, you get a lot of little test bottles made.

DIY is a lot of testing of different mixes. Don't forget to take notes because when you make them and when you finally test them can be time to let the flavors meld in the test bottles.

After about 6 months, I had 4-5 good recipes. It takes time.
I did grab some small bottles with the order as well. I know that there is going to be a lot trial and error involved. Especially since I have found the flavors I like in food are not always the flavors I enjoy in eliquid.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
Looks like a really nice selection to me! You've got a good variety of primary flavorings, several of the commonly used blenders, and a few additives. :thumbs:
Thanks! Someone advised me to be sure to not just have a bunch of primary flavors, but to have a good amount of blends and extras to balance it out.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Vanilla Custard II TFA or Vanilla Custard CAP can add a nice mouth feel to a mix at 2-3% without overwhelming the recipe with a custard flavor.

I see you have Cookie FA on your list too, good choice. It's kind of a biscotti flavor. Biscuit INW is also a very versatile flavor when used at less than 1%. It's kind of a shortbread cookie flavor.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Amazon sells 5ml bottles by the 100 count. I could either clean those tiny bottles in the dishwasher or I could toss them to prevent flavor crossover. I toss them unless I am making a variant of the previous recipe.

I think I have used a 800-1000 of those little bottles. Syringes were my go to for measuring.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
For a quick start straight out of the box Banana Nut Bread is pretty good on its own. That was one of my first mixes and I used it for a long time. It was the only TFA I found that worked as a single flavor. Juicy peach with sweet cream would be decent simple mix.

Some vanilla would be good to have. I put a bit of that in almost everything, along with sweet cream.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
Through a combination of fresh off the smokes and messed up taste buds and inexperience; I had the hardest time with TFA flavors. My second big order went out consisting of mostly FA and LOTS more research on recipes.

Success!

All to say enjoy the journey of DIY and dont get discouraged if your not making really good stuff right at the beggining:) and take notes:)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Blueberry, strawberry, and watermelon generally need a two or three to get a whole. Maybe add FW blueberry and trade the TFA watermelon for TFA watermelon candy and add LA watermelon or MB big watermelon. Are you ordering from BCF? Is so I would add INW shisha strawberry and trade the Cap sweet strawberry for JF strawberry. Between the TFA ripe, INW shisha, and JF sweet you'll have a nice flexible start for strawberry variations. If you are really into strawberry juices add WF strawberry cheesecake as well. FA kiwi is handy to add a nice tart note and very flexible as a main note or an addictive as well.

Reactions: Resistance

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have yet to press the confirm button, but all of these flavors are currently sitting in my cart. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or observations that come to mind regarding my selections:
That looks like a really good list! (someone has been doing their homework) Just one I would so add to that list... (FW) Hazelnut (it's so good and there is a secret... just a very small bit with strawberry makes it better... don't know how/why but it works) Maybe add a couple bakeries (cookie, biscuit, croissant if you like that) I see you are jumping right into the deep end of the pool (that can be a good thing... if you can swim) You are going to be very busy mixing (good thing you have a scale ;))
I have been so busy (like everyone is pulling my arms in all directions... I only have two arms but they think I have four) I put a new coil in my MTL tank but haven't mixed the new flavors yet (including Water Malone) so filled it with my favorite Boysenberry Cheesecake (well steeped) My other tank also needs a new coil and will get filled with the WM (fresh mix, fresh coil)

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
My son has to work tomorrow (busy season) so I get a break... might actually get my mixing done in the morning :)
Great. I appreciate the advice on flavoring. I will have to remember some of that for my next order. I completed my BCF order 5 days ago and it should arrive tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread