My First Mech: Everything in Order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I don't know what it is ... but I just love the look of a simple tube mechanical with a bottom firing switch.
This is one of the reasons I went mechanical.

I'd strongly suggest you not offer advice to new members if this it the mentality and attitude you wish to show.
On the bright side: ECF is such a good educational environment that even a total noob like me could see how absurdly unsafe his practices are. Many thanks to veterans such as Baditude!

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The Magneto arrived today. While the batteries are charging I'm doing things such as testing the mod for a short and a balloon test. It's kind of fun to actually do these things after reading about them or seeing them done. :)

Part of what makes it a hobby to many. Fun times for the geeks and tinkerers.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
TreVader said:
I never measure resistance.... if the battery gets hot, i make the coil longer. I've built coils that by all rights should've blown my MNKEs, but never did. Stuff like quad 4 wrap micros on 26ga kanthal. That was a dope setup but i roasted the wicks one day and.... sigh... i don't want to talk about it.

All of this... with the exception of the battery and the charger.... is unnecessary. You would be much better served buying more batteries, or a better mech/rda.
sawlight said:
I'd strongly suggest you not offer advice to new members if this it the mentality and attitude you wish to show. I honestly fear for you, and hope I don't one day read about you having blown yourself up.
@ TreVader: ECF Moderators may very well order you to stop advocating unsafe vaping practices, and should you continue you likely will be banned from the forum. There are widely accepted safe practices to be learned on this forum. Whether you choose to follow them is your business, but when you encourage others to ignore safe vaping habits you are potentially putting other people into danger, and this is not tolerated on this forum.

This obviously was not meant for you, sawlight. ;)

Last edited:

throwback8

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
United States
Good luck with your journey into Mech mods madqatter! I am on the same one right now and my Magneto and RSST should be here Thursday. Safety is something that is really important to me and I have taken the time to study up(love the battery thread here on ECF) and learn how to calculate the max discharge rating for my batteries and such. Good on you for wanting to have something to check resistances with, suggesting that you don't need a multimeter truly is outright stupidity. Enjoy your new mechs and have fun!

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Magneto is up and running!

A quick runthrough:
  • I tested the atomizer and found no short, noted the resistance.
  • I set the desired wattage on my kick. I calculated the volts & amps using the wattage & resistance inputs.
  • I tested the mod itself to make sure there wasn't a short. Since it's new, I performed a balloon test to check the vents.
  • I inspected the batteries for blemishes and tested their voltage to make sure they were in the safe range before charging.
  • I charged the batteries in the LiPo bag on a nonflammable surface.
  • I rested the batteries, then tested to make sure they weren't overcharged.
  • I put the kick and battery in the mod with the lock on, snugged it up, and test fired it away from my face. The kick is working.
Now I'm vaping it. You folks are awesome.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA

woohoo!

how do you like it?

lipo bags are great. long before i knew about them i had a 22.2v (6 cell) 5000mah 45c steady 90c burst lipo go into thermal runaway (charger failure) while charging in the garage. ive never seen so much yellow smoke. a lipo bag kept everything contained. now my large lipo packs are charged in cinder blocks outside still using lipo bags.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy

A quick runthrough:
  • I tested the atomizer and found no short, noted the resistance.
  • I set the desired wattage on my kick. I calculated the volts & amps using the wattage & resistance inputs.
  • I tested the mod itself to make sure there wasn't a short. Since it's new, I performed a balloon test to check the vents.
  • I inspected the batteries for blemishes and tested their voltage to make sure they were in the safe range before charging.
  • I charged the batteries in the LiPo bag on a nonflammable surface.
  • I rested the batteries, then tested to make sure they weren't overcharged.
  • I put the kick and battery in the mod with the lock on, snugged it up, and test fired it away from my face. The kick is working.

I am waiting on my first mech. I got the smok kick as well but received that from a US vendor and only took a couple days to receive. As I was messing with, I couldn't grasp the wattage markings. For some reason I couldn't make their pattern. I took an educated guess though. My question is what marking did you set for what wattage.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
how do you like it?
It's awesome! I love the feel of it, and the button is magnificent. It's the first mod I've owned (since the other has not yet arrived) so it will probably have a special place in my heart.

now my large lipo packs are charged in cinder blocks outside still using lipo bags.
Sounds like a good idea!

I am waiting on my first mech. I got the smok kick as well but received that from a US vendor and only took a couple days to receive. As I was messing with, I couldn't grasp the wattage markings. For some reason I couldn't make their pattern. I took an educated guess though. My question is what marking did you set for what wattage.
Previously I'd only seen the Evolv kicks closeup. The dial on my Smok kicks is reversed; the blue box faces the other way. In other words, five and twelve are on the left and right of the center post instead of on the outside edge of the kick.

Here's an image.

This is confusing to describe...

Hold the kick with the blue box at 12 o'clock. (With the Evolv kick, you'd hold it with the blue box at 6 o'clock.) Turn the dial all the way to the left, counter-clockwise. That's 5. Moving clockwise dials up the wattage.

I hope this is making sense?

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Aye mate it is making sense. More specifically I guess with my question. There are 11 little "hash" marks. 5- 12. There are also number on the center post. I am having trouble trying to get 8 watts. Ha! My old eyes have trouble seeing the etching on the post. So I just winged it to get 8 watts. Some where up around the top left. I was just trying to get it perfect not just in the vicinity.

Man that kick is small.

At first I thought each hash mark would be a watt. I guess that would be too easy. Then thought each hash may be .5 watt. Again, too easy. (Well if it was 10 watts max then it would make sense).

BTW glad you like it... I am looking forward to just a plain mech. I hope I like mine like you do. I almost got the Magneto but opted for a knockoff of another. Still may get it. The only reason I decided not to was of the telescoping. My SVD telescopes (is that a word?). So wanted to try just tubes.

Thanks mate.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
There are 11 little "hash" marks.... I am having trouble trying to get 8 watts.
Yeah, that is weird. And it is hella small. :D

I almost got the Magneto but opted for a knockoff of another. Still may get it. The only reason I decided not to was of the telescoping. My SVD telescopes (is that a word?). So wanted to try just tubes.
Yeah, the 8W I'm waiting for is just a tube, so I did both. :)

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
i had to play around with shimming the button to get it to my liking. i also am working on a complete redesign of the button assembly.
I've got it, it's beautiful, and it's working, but I'm going to have to check your thread out, because the button is a problem. If I snug it up, it's too short to fire, and if I loosen it to fire it doesn't seem secure. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread