Status
Not open for further replies.

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
So I got my 30A batteries today, charged them, waited, built a quad coil in my Helios (4x3/4 28 Gauge Kanthal Coils, wicked with twisted cotton ball pieces) and then waited for the juice to soak all the way into the cotton.
My first impression, wow, lots more vapor. I'm vaping 0nic so TH isn't killing me at all, it's great the flavor is intense and talk about clouds...
The only problem I'm having is that I'm running out of juice. I saturate the cotton to the point that it can't hold anymore and there's juice pooling in the bottom of the Helios. I'll take a few drags and....... it's time to drip again. I guess it's a good thing that I've found a few DIY recipes that I like. I think I'd go broke trying to buy juices to feed this monster.

Quad coils are crazy, I think I'm going to dremel out the air holes a bit, I have the Helios with the 2 air holes on each side not the one with 3 on each side but I think it'd benefit from more airflow.

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
So I got my 30A batteries today, charged them, waited, built a quad coil in my Helios (4x3/4 28 Gauge Kanthal Coils, wicked with twisted cotton ball pieces) and then waited for the juice to soak all the way into the cotton.
My first impression, wow, lots more vapor. I'm vaping 0nic so TH isn't killing me at all, it's great the flavor is intense and talk about clouds...
The only problem I'm having is that I'm running out of juice. I saturate the cotton to the point that it can't hold anymore and there's juice pooling in the bottom of the Helios. I'll take a few drags and....... it's time to drip again. I guess it's a good thing that I've found a few DIY recipes that I like. I think I'd go broke trying to buy juices to feed this monster.

Quad coils are crazy, I think I'm going to dremel out the air holes a bit, I have the Helios with the 2 air holes on each side not the one with 3 on each side but I think it'd benefit from more airflow.

Can't imagine the density of the vape! You must have some locomotive action going!

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
I plan on trying to wick it a few different ways to see if I can get something that lasts a bit longer. Each coil is 0.8 Ohms (I use a bolt to wrap my coils so each one is exactly the same) so the quad comes out at 0.2 Ohms. If I end up making the air holes too big I can just turn the band on the helios to cover part of it. :)
I could see how it would CHUG juice. you could make your wicks a little bit longer and try filling up the bottom with as much as it will hold, then it should hold more juice....congrats on the quad btw...what ohms are you at? .4??
also be aware that too much air flow will increase vapor but will reduce flavor to about zilch

Yeah I can't vape in my car without a window rolled down, especially because the juices I'm using are either 100% VG or 90VG/10PG.
Can't imagine the density of the vape! You must have some locomotive action going!

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
I made an album with some pictures if anybody is interested.
My First Quad
I also took a video of it firing.
The Beast

Of course! :)
Have any pictures of this mammoth build?

I needed something that could handle more current. The highest drain battery I had was 10A and this setup pulls 20.5A when the battery is fully charged. Yeah I line the air holes up with the coils. I have to do it how I have it in the pictures because otherwise the cotton blocks the airholes and makes the vape harsher.
now I see why you opted for the 30A batt...at .2 ohms you are gonna go through a deal of juice anyways lol
I dnt much about the Helios personally but do you have an airhole pointed at each coil? I find that I go through more juice and get a hotter vape if the air isn't hitting the coil

I haven't vaped it regularly enough to have an estimate of how long it will last me. It's pulling twice as much current as what I normally vape so it should go pretty quick though.
Battery will only last about 1 hour though , I bet

Yeah I'm finding that it's a great vape but not something I want to do all day. I will try that higher Ohm quad but I might just go back to my normal dual coil build. The reason I went as low as I did was because I wanted to try the extreme sub-ohm stuff everybody always says is dangerous and stupid and see what the fuss was about. It's alright, fun for awhile but not something I'd like to do all day.
Quad coils make for and exceptional vape,but not an everyday ADV.Bump the quad up to a .5 quad build you will not go thru as much as the .2 build and you should not lose any of the vape,i think,i have not gone that low with a quad yet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread