My first rebuildable is on it's way

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
I took the leap, finally. I've watched all the vids and read half this 'board, so I think I'm ready for it. I ordered an Igo-L, 32 guage kanthal A-1 and 3mm silica wick. And a horn drip tip to top it off. I'm gonna run it on my Vamo, but I'll be getting a mechanical as soon as I can decide which one. There are so many out there now.

Any last minute pointers for me as a noob? I have a bit of experience with circuits and electrical systems, so that part doesn't worry me. I'm more concerned with the wick. That is where most of my insecurity is, lol. Like how much wick needs to sit in the cup to soak up juice? Stuff like that.

And does anyone else run these on a Vamo or VW deice? If so, do you use the W or the V setting with a rebuildable? I can stack 18350s and get huge power, so where is the best place to start? I currently rip my Cisco spec 1.5 ohm 510 at 8.5 watts, for the record. Cartos I rip at 8-9w. The Vamo is my first mod so I never, ever, use the voltage setting.

Thanks.

myyrkezaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Clayton, NC
Love the IGO-L, my only complaint is the tip hole is a little wide and the tips wiggle a bit. I wrapped some floss above the oring on the tip and that fixes it.

For the wick you don't any of it sitting in the well, I've done a stubby, it just runs out faster. If you want to drip less coil more in there. Take a look at the pics of the rda thread, see some good setups.

I've run them on a VV (I dont' use VW) usually 1.5ish. Got an RBA that I'm running on one now that is 2.3ohm and 5.5V. As well as a dual coil 0.7ohm on a mechanical, first build was 0.4ohm which was really hot with short tips. Even if you stack you're going to be limited by your VV device, unless you were talking about stacking in a mech.

Build you're coil so it is at least 1.3ohm, sometimes with 1.2ohm you get a change that drops it to 1.1 and it won't fire, that's why I try to do 1.4-1.6 to be safe on a VV.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
Thanks. I would never stack batteries in a mechanical. I was talking about the Vamo. pbusardo ran an honest 6v to a 1.5 carto with a Vamo with stacked 18350s for a test (which destroyed it in a second or two, btw) so what I meant was, I'll be able to wrap my coils at a higher ohm and jack up the watts. Your 2.3ohm coil at 5.5V is about 12-13 watts, which the Vamo has no problem doing with that battery configuration. I was just wondering if anyone else did that or if everyone just buys mechanicals for their rebuildables.

beanpusher

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
South San Diego, CA United States
mechanicals are the choice of rebuildables due to to amp limitation cut off i believe the vamo has a 5 amp cut off (latest ver) that is plenty. if u are going to use a variable volt battery i would not go under .9 ohms @ 3.7 volts that would be 15.2 watts drawing 4.1 amps. or 1.4 ohms max at 3.7v puts you at 9.7 watts drawing 2.6 amps anywhere between those two values i found in my opinion to have worked best as far as amount of vape before having to drip again, flavor, and throat hit. as far as the wicks since you are using 32awg i would just use enough to fold back on itself with one end about an inch long from the center post that you can wrap around down into the juice well while the other end going straight up. in the future i would use 30awg ur coils will last longer and u will use less wraps.

the thing i love about rebuildables is that you can keep building til you find how you like it. so purchase plenty of wick and wire!
there is a section in here titled show me your wick and coild set up (something like that) for the igo-l i hope i was able to help you out

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
mechanicals are the choice of rebuildables due to to amp limitation cut off i believe the vamo has a 5 amp cut off (latest ver) that is plenty. if u are going to use a variable volt battery i would not go under .9 ohms @ 3.7 volts that would be 15.2 watts drawing 4.1 amps. or 1.4 ohms max at 3.7v puts you at 9.7 watts drawing 2.6 amps anywhere between those two values i found in my opinion to have worked best as far as amount of vape before having to drip again, flavor, and throat hit. as far as the wicks since you are using 32awg i would just use enough to fold back on itself with one end about an inch long from the center post that you can wrap around down into the juice well while the other end going straight up. in the future i would use 30awg ur coils will last longer and u will use less wraps.

the thing i love about rebuildables is that you can keep building til you find how you like it. so purchase plenty of wick and wire!
there is a section in here titled show me your wick and coild set up (something like that) for the igo-l i hope i was able to help you out

Thanks for the reply. You answered my question pretty thoroughly. I have been looking around at other people's setups, and I can't wait for my stuff to arrive (most likely) Monday. I only bought short lengths of wick and wire so I wouldn't be stuck with 25' of something I don't like. I'll be sure to check out 30 awg wire next, thanks for the tip.

So for the wick, you're saying snip off one side short and give the other side a tail to soak up juice?

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
Holy crap am I nic'd! I got the RBA and wick / wire today, plus a couple other things like an EVOD for work and an atomizer in case I couldn't figure out the RBA. Well, I figured out the Igo-L good as a total noob can, and I'm at that point where I know one more rip will bring on a huge headache. The wick isn't even burned in yet and it already is outperforming my Cisco spec atty. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

On a side note, The EVOD is seriously impressive. I did the pbusardo / VapingGreek trick and removed one wick from it. The dripping atty remains unused. I'll save it for the VMOD XL I just ordered. It's just a 2 ohm Joye 510 atty, I just wanted to give it a try anyway.

JDidGirl

Oct 19, 2011
Somewhere In SC
Okay, I have a question for those of you who are way more knowledgable than I am about rebuildable atomizers. We have a new vaping store in town and the owner is hell bent on getting me away from dripping. Here's the thing... I use just a regular 900 mah ego battery... nothing fancy or powerful. I've tried everything... clearomizers, cartomizers (single coil, double coil), tanks, etc. The only thing that I have found that gives me full flavor and a good throat hit - with the battery I am using - is to drip directly into my atomizer (I use a LR 1.5 atty). The owner is a very nice guy, but I think that he's only ever used a mod and tank system and he's not really familiar with some of the other types of systems on the market. This past weekend he talked me into trying a rebuildable atty. I really thought that the rebuildables were for stronger batteries or mods, but he assured me that this particular one (a bullie) would work well with my regular 900 mah Ego battery. Either I'm doing something very wrong, it's defective or my battery just isn't strong enough to run it. I've gone online to make sure that it was wicking correctly and that everything was attached correctly, but I'm getting no heat and very little taste. In fact, unless I drip directly into the atty, all I get is a burnt taste and even then the burnt taste comes back quite quickly.

So... suggestions?

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Last edited:

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
My coil is 2.4 ohms and I'm running it at 12 watts on on a Vamo with stacked batteries. For an eGo, you'd want your coil to be closer to 1.3 ohms. On mine, the hit is really smooth and fast, lots of vapor and an amazing throat hit. But then again, I'm putting something in the order of 5.5 volts to it and the eGo clocks in at 3.4 volts.

myyrkezaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Clayton, NC
You should get an ohm checker so you can see what your coil is. Building coils takes some time to get the hang of.

Rebuildables are for any battery; you can build it to your preference and battery.

I'm using a Nimbus, IGO-L and A7 (drippers) as well as some tank systems.

Why he wants you to get away from it, if you're happy with it keep doing it. The only advantage a tank has is capacity and time of use.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
First semi-educated newb question: My wick seems to not be wicking fast enough to finish a session. I noticed my coil isn't really round and I'm wondering if I am cutting off the flow of juice to it.

EDIT: Yeah, I just fidgeted with the coils and moved them around and I was crimping the wick in one spot. I'll build another one tonight, lol.

Last edited:

JDidGirl

Oct 19, 2011
Somewhere In SC
Thanks for the information. I'm going to check a few things on it later tonight... take some advice and work on the coils... and see how it does. The truth is, I don't mind just dripping straight into my atty. I find that the taste is crisper and usually has good heat. My only problem lately, however, is finding a store (online or in my area) that carries consistently good atomizers. Lately, I'll have one that works great for a while and then goes out... the next one (same brand, same store) won't work at all. That's why I'm open to trying new things.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
If you like dripping, drip on sister! I also like dripping with a 1.5 ohm Atty, so maybe a good upgrade for you would be an ego Twist. They're $25, but you'll like your Atty at 3.8 volts a lot more. My preferences are ballsy power over form and function, so I took a different path than you, but I still use my Twist daily. It's that good.

And I wrapped my 3rd coil in 24 hours and I can tell I'm getting close to where I wanna be. The hit is big and smooth, short draws and big clouds. I run it between 10.5 and 12 watts, but the funny thing is, my 18650 feels more powerful than my stacked 18350s. Didn't see that one coming.

Last edited:

beanpusher

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
South San Diego, CA United States
Okay, I have a question for those of you who are way more knowledgable than I am about rebuildable atomizers. We have a new vaping store in town and the owner is hell bent on getting me away from dripping. Here's the thing... I use just a regular 900 mah ego battery... nothing fancy or powerful. I've tried everything... clearomizers, cartomizers (single coil, double coil), tanks, etc. The only thing that I have found that gives me full flavor and a good throat hit - with the battery I am using - is to drip directly into my atomizer (I use a LR 1.5 atty). The owner is a very nice guy, but I think that he's only ever used a mod and tank system and he's not really familiar with some of the other types of systems on the market. This past weekend he talked me into trying a rebuildable atty. I really thought that the rebuildables were for stronger batteries or mods, but he assured me that this particular one (a bullie) would work well with my regular 900 mah Ego battery. Either I'm doing something very wrong, it's defective or my battery just isn't strong enough to run it. I've gone online to make sure that it was wicking correctly and that everything was attached correctly, but I'm getting no heat and very little taste. In fact, unless I drip directly into the atty, all I get is a burnt taste and even then the burnt taste comes back quite quickly.

So... suggestions?

The bullie is a good dripping rba. If u are using the pre installed coil most often they wont perform to its potential. They use 36awg wire which is way too thin and will eventually pop. I would try to find a coil made with atleast 32awg since ur using an ego battery. They come it in low res like 1.8 ohms. I dont have a vendor off the top of my head but ive seen em online. Also you might not be putting enough juice in it. Initially you can put atleast 10 drops in it. Let it sit for about a min then it will be ready. If it gets flooded it will vape off in a few drags and then you can start to learn how many drops last you before having to redrip.
I hope this helps out. Pm me if i can help u with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread