My First RTA build makes my vapour tastless

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke maher

Dec 10, 2015
hi so I made my first working coil with my Goliath V2 (which is a pain in the ... btw), so I got my resistance to 0.23 and at first my wicking was poor as the cotton was too long so I cut it and the juice appeared to flow with no problems. I used Fogg Life Gang Banger liquid, the shop only had 0% nicotine in so I used my own liquid nicotine to pump it up to 0.4%, and now it hardly tastes but pumps out loads of vapour which is weird because this liquid is usually potent, sometimes the vapour is accompanied by a slight metal taste. The liquid is 80% Vg but my juice channels are wide open - note I don't get a cotton burning taste only a slight metal taste almost as if you have a tiny cut in your mouth and can taste a little bit of blood. This is genuinely bizarre to me as I only added 2.5ml of 7.2% pg based nicotine to a 30ml 0.0% juice, so I couldn't have diluted the flavour down to nothing.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

dolladave

Jul 9, 2014
USA
I don't have that RTA but.... what I do know is with any rta coil height and wicking(too little or too much) can absolutely kill the flavor or make it harsh. Since it's your first RTA, my suggestion is to get your some flavorings and plain PG/VG and mix up a few batches of dump juice so that you can play with the coil/wicking to get it where you want and get flavor. Then start using your premium juices in it. I made that mistake whenever I first got into RTAs and wasted a lot of expensive juice.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
hi so I made my first working coil with my Goliath V2 (which is a pain in the ... btw), so I got my resistance to 0.23 and at first my wicking was poor as the cotton was too long so I cut it and the juice appeared to flow with no problems. I used Fogg Life Gang Banger liquid, the shop only had 0% nicotine in so I used my own liquid nicotine to pump it up to 0.4%, and now it hardly tastes but pumps out loads of vapour which is weird because this liquid is usually potent, sometimes the vapour is accompanied by a slight metal taste. The liquid is 80% Vg but my juice channels are wide open - note I don't get a cotton burning taste only a slight metal taste almost as if you have a tiny cut in your mouth and can taste a little bit of blood. This is genuinely bizarre to me as I only added 2.5ml of 7.2% pg based nicotine to a 30ml 0.0% juice, so I couldn't have diluted the flavour down to nothing.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Any time you dilute the juicd it weajebs the flavor.

Try steeping the juice for two days to see it it recovers.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Luke Maher wrote: The liquid is 80% Vg but my juice channels are wide open - note I don't get a cotton burning taste only a slight metal taste almost as if you have a tiny cut in your mouth and can taste a little bit of blood

Flavor can be suppressed at high VG levels. VG makes more vapor. PG enhances flavor. Try a 50/50 juice just for grins. You might find that flavor is easier to find at that level.

The metallic taste may be coming from the metal in the new atomizer itself. The manufacturing lathe process uses lots of oil to cut metal to shape. Some vapers boil a new atomizer in water to drive the oils out of the metal. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner try using it with a few drops of dishwashing detergent in the water. Run it again with plain water to clean the soap off the finish.

That, or you can vape it until the taste goes away.

Last edited:
Reactions: dolladave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread