My first "Twisted 28" build on the REO (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
With all this twisting talk, I figured it was time to give it a go for myself.
Took: about 5 minutes.
Tools used: Pair of players, and a pair of tweezers.
Difficulty rating: 4.5
Bad-... Rating: 8.4
Rezult: PLUMES.
It's a warmer, maybe "fuller" vape. Slower to warm the coil, but more powerful once warm.
And yes, I tried it back to back with the same juice in the bottle. Simply removed the old 28g/ 1/16th 8 wrap micro
and replaced it with a twisted 28g / 1/16 / 8 wrap micro. Both made on The Jig.

Pics or it didn't happen, right ?

Oh.. and NOW am I hard-core ???? or still not yet..

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
What was the ohm reading? Use much caution if lower than .7 or so you might end up with a melty firing button. You already know how I know.
dammit. 0.6 ohm.
you spoiled my fun, with your good and solid logic..
I've removed the coil and re-spun a 28/ 1/16th / 8 wrap micro.
But... now I've been to the Dark Side..

j.

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
Do you just twist the wire? Or do you twist 2 wires together? This is the 1st I'm hearing of this.

It was one piece.
folded in half.
the loop end was threaded over a pair of tweezers (in the bottom of the loop a tweezer makes, if you follow)
the other end, that consists of two "ends", I gripped with the pliers.
pul firmly, and twist twist twist.
The result is what you see..
Pro Tip. obviously you need to start with a longer piece of wire than you normally would..

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
He twisted two together. Not much would happen if you twisted one piece.

Although I don't see why you did it by hand. It's much easier and much tighter if you use a power drill.

Pics:
That Wire Braid - Imgur

Old Thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/485460-wow-best-vape-yet.html

I did it by hand because I just got the urge to try it while sitting on my deck. I don't usually carry a drill in that circumstance.
My total noob effort took no more than 5 mins start to finish... easy peasy. No need for a drill..
Now I know how to do it. I'd say 4 mins easy.

Maybe a drill would be a good idea if you wanted to do a whole long length in a minute.
But 4 minutes to twist it, then the normal time to make the wire into an actual coil is no real hardship..

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
With all this twisting talk, I figured it was time to give it a go for myself.
Took: about 5 minutes.
Tools used: Pair of players, and a pair of tweezers.
Difficulty rating: 4.5
Bad-... Rating: 8.4
Rezult: PLUMES.
It's a warmer, maybe "fuller" vape. Slower to warm the coil, but more powerful once warm.
And yes, I tried it back to back with the same juice in the bottle. Simply removed the old 28g/ 1/16th 8 wrap micro
and replaced it with a twisted 28g / 1/16 / 8 wrap micro. Both made on The Jig.

Pics or it didn't happen, right ?

Oh.. and NOW am I hard-core ????

Yes. NOW you are hard core. LOL

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
A drill lets you get it much tighter.

IMAG1763-L.jpg

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
You know, I've read a few of these, and I can't picture how one is using the drill? My brain isn't making the connection between the written descriptions and how it's done?

it is so, so so simple... do you have pliers? do you have a drill? me i have nothing to go into the drill regularly with a hole in it, so i put my drill bit in sideways... but you loop the wire and attach it to the drill, then you hold the other ends, and pull the trigger, and it twists away...

the link that was posted earlier to imgur shows perfectly... That Wire Braid - Imgur

everything you need to see for it

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
it is so, so so simple... do you have pliers? do you have a drill? me i have nothing to go into the drill regularly with a hole in it, so i put my drill bit in sideways... but you loop the wire and attach it to the drill, then you hold the other ends, and pull the trigger, and it twists away...

the link that was posted earlier to imgur shows perfectly... That Wire Braid - Imgur

everything you need to see for it

I have a drill and pliers, but I don't have a bit that pinches/grabs like the one in those photos. I can't picture what you're talking about looping the wire and attaching to the drill - attach how? And putting bit in sideways? My brain is not making the connection.

Mine is a hex driver - that might be the problem.

Last edited:

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
I have a drill and pliers, but I don't have a bit that pinches/grabs like the one in those photos. I can't picture what you're talking about looping the wire and attaching to the drill - attach how? And putting bit in sideways? My brain is not making the connection.

well you can do like he did in the imgur and just trap the 3 wires in the clamps of the drill...

ok you know how you tighten and loosen the drill, his way... tightening all the way and having the wire in there is probably best, but what i did, was i took my 1/16th bit and after folding the wire in half i put the bit in it like i was going to wrap it... but then i held it against the drill, and tightened the clamps on the drill until it was holding the bit...

im trying to think of the easiest way to say this... ok... when you put the bit in the drill, it goes in so its coming straight out... turn the bit 90 degrees... then put it in... make sense?

edit: ^^^^ he put it so much simpler... the drill bit works too though... argh, im still 3/4 asleep... work energy drink... work...

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
well you can do like he did in the imgur and just trap the 3 wires in the clamps of the drill...

ok you know how you tighten and loosen the drill, his way... tightening all the way and having the wire in there is probably best, but what i did, was i took my 1/16th bit and after folding the wire in half i put the bit in it like i was going to wrap it... but then i held it against the drill, and tightened the clamps on the drill until it was holding the bit...

im trying to think of the easiest way to say this... ok... when you put the bit in the drill, it goes in so its coming straight out... turn the bit 90 degrees... then put it in... make sense?

edit: ^^^^ he put it so much simpler... the drill bit works too though... argh, im still 3/4 asleep... work energy drink... work...

I think what my issue is, is that I don't have a "true" drill. I have little screw hex head bits that are magnetic that slide into my drill - nothing "clamping" them, or twisting to lock them int place. It is a cordless hand held drill that fits in the palm of my hand.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
I think what my issue is, is that I don't have a "true" drill. I have little screw hex head bits that are magnetic that slide into my drill - nothing "clamping" them, or twisting to lock them int place. It is a cordless hand held drill that fits in the palm of my hand.

hmmm im about to head to work... but my parting suggestion then would be if you really want to twist some kanthal... pliers, and something you can easily twist the other end with... stick it in the loop and just twist by hand, everything ive read is that by hand its not hard, just takes a little more time (5 minutes or so) only advantage of the drill is it took like 1 minute or less than that... but it can be done by hand... best of luck to you and your twisting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread