My fix for the "burnt taste" for my RiVa

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylecoberly

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
www.facesofradio.com
I'm not sure that I'm having the exact problem that many of you were having, but I do think I've gotten whatever I had to go away.

Almost immediately after I started vaping my new RiVa, I was getting a horrible metallic aftertaste. I had already taken some steps to get the primer off- I soaked the new Atty's in PGA, blown through them, then hit them with the blowdryer, then dry burned them.

I noticed someone in one of the threads mention something that the bridge not making enough contact with the cartridge, and when I looked at the "indentation" in the cartridge filler, I did notice that it was significantly less than it was on my 901's. So, I tried using my 901 blanks from Vapor Kings, and whether it's something to do with the amount of filler or how high it fills up, the problem went away.

I have a couple theories as to why this might be the case. First is that maybe all filler is not created equal, and some stuff might not transfer the liquid as well as another. Alternatively, maybe different manufacturers pack them differently. Since most people seemed to assume that since their carts were presumably burning, there was too much filler. I would posit that not having tightly packed enough filler could cause the same problem.

Anyone who's tried to light something on fire knows that trying to dense stuff is hard to catch on fire. If you try to light a rope on fire just by sticking a lighter under it, you're probably going to be waiting a while. On the other hand, if you fray the rope a little first, the frayed parts will catch fire very quickly, and then spread to the rest of the rope. So I hypothesize that MORE filler might be a better fix than less (or a least less densely packed). If the bridge is only touching the very end of the wick, I would think that would burn it quicker than if it went halfway through it.

At any rate, I solved my problem by not using the 501 blanks that came with the RiVa, and I would throw that into the list of possible fixes (maybe we should come up with a composite list that could be stickied, since this seems to be pretty pervasive?). It's certainly worth a shot, since it's a lot cheaper than a new atomizer, and less time-intensive than cleaning atomizers too.

kylecoberly

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
www.facesofradio.com
A few hours later:

I think this was the issue, and that with the stock cartridges it wasn't getting enough juice to the atty. Even with the 901 cart, the taste starts ever-so-slightly to creep back every half hour or so, but a little refill makes it go away. I think it just blasts through the juice quicker than I'm used to.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
It's probably not a wick issue, but a wicking issue.

The purpose of the wick is to make contact with the filler and pull the juice into the coil. You may want to experiment with straw mods, blue foam mods, or PTB mods. There are great vids and tutorials here and on Youtube. More than likely, you're still not getting enough juice through the wick to the coil. This is what causes the terrible taste, the wick is starting to burn. Once a wick is burnt, you have two real options: remove the wick (which renders the atty only good for dripping) or try and trim off the burnt portion, which will make it even harder for it to wick properly.

Trimming the wick, in your case, will probably increase the problem. The wick is a necessary evil, unless you are a dripper...then you can live without it. In this case, dripping might be the best way for you to go, but if the carts are your preference, then by all means, use them. It still beats analogs!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Most of the time when I have dry metallic taste and low vapor and the cart filler is wet, the problem is juice transfer. I find that the filler is pushed back into the cart and not transferring juice to the atty bridge.

Some terminology discussion might help here.

The filler is the fiber material in the plastic cartridge. Some people swap that out for blue foam, fluval, or pyramid tea bag material.

The wicking fibers are in the little bundle of white or grey hairs that you see sticking out from the bridge. The coil is wrapped around one end of the wick and the tail of the wick is tucked into the mesh to aid in wicking juice to the coil.

The bridge is the metal arch above the atomizer coil that is covered in metal mesh. The mesh extends downward across the bridge and around the bowl. The bowl is attached to the metal end of the atomizer. The brass metal end contains the battery connection and supports the bowl.

The bowl is a ceramic part that the atomizer coil is attached to.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...mizer-step-step-801-901s-too.html#post1312948

kylecoberly

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
www.facesofradio.com
Great posts from everyone!!

And yeah Dave, I realized about a day after I posted this that I was using "wick" to mean "filler", but there were some things about attys there that I didn't know- double thanks for that link, that's really cool!!

On some of the new attys I dried burned them on recommendation after an everclear bath as one of the steps in an atty "prepping" routine- I probably did it too long, and I think I'll just blow them out or something next time.

My confusion is that I didn't do it with all the attys, and in fact I did get some fresh Joye ones and I'm still finding my Riva to be incredibly temperamental. I have to be very careful about hard I pull, and I can't do it for very long, or very often (I have to wait about 20 seconds in between drags). If I don't do this, I burn the filler. Even with dripping, it starts tasting pretty rank if I drag too often.

I just don't have this problem with any of my half-dozen 901s. When the Riva isn't acting up, I love the vapor and love the battery life, but I get nervous just using it, and I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
I just don't have this problem with any of my half-dozen 901s. When the Riva isn't acting up, I love the vapor and love the battery life, but I get nervous just using it, and I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Is the Riva your first non-standard battery unit? If so, it might be learning curve as the Riva will put out a slightly higher voltage than you are used to. The Riva should be putting out about 3.7v whereas the standard 510 battery is more like 3.2v.

That small increase in voltage shouldn't be toasting atomizers, but it's worth checking.

You could also become a dripper, and just take the wicks out of your atties. That's how I roll. Better vapor and flavor! You won't miss that incredibly disgusting burnt taste when you get too low, either. But, it's not for the weak of heart...you can EASILY destroy an atty removing the wick.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Is the Riva your first non-standard battery unit? If so, it might be learning curve as the Riva will put out a slightly higher voltage than you are used to. The Riva should be putting out about 3.7v whereas the standard 510 battery is more like 3.2v.

Not true, the Riva/eGo puts out the same voltage as the 510.

kylecoberly

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
www.facesofradio.com
That's the part that's confusing to me too LowThudd- I thought it was the same voltage as a 510, just with a more robust battery.

Yes, this is certainly my first non-standard PV. I'm not opposed to dripping outright... it's just an awful lot of activity. Even with a drip-tip, it's not great when I'm driving or walking around. I do think I burned at least one of those atty's though, so I'll see if I can't take it out. It's not much good to me now anyway!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Not true, the Riva/eGo puts out the same voltage as the 510.

True, but the voltage drop under load, theoretically, would be greater from a 180mah battery than a 650mah battery. What happens in practice is that the voltage regulator circuit built into the battery limits the voltage that is applied to the atomizer coil. So, you get the same or similar voltage on both the 510 and the Ego/Riva/Tornado.

Search for Scottbee's posts to read about some real time testing on various batteries under load.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/65055-battery-voltages-surprise.html

Last edited:

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
True, but the voltage drop under load, theoretically, would be greater from a 180mah battery than a 650mah battery. What happens in practice is that the voltage regulator circuit built into the battery limits the voltage that is applied to the atomizer coil. So, you get the same or similar voltage on both the 510 and the Ego/Riva/Tornado.

Search for Scottbee's posts to read about some real time testing on various batteries under load.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/65055-battery-voltages-surprise.html

I know the article well, wasn't stating that the 510/eGo were all high voltage. Just pointing out that they are the same.

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
this is the part that should clear up the confusion....look at the rebuilding an atty thread linked in the earlier post....Then play the movie....you soaked your atty in alcohol and let it dry out.. you then did a dry burn on it..... Result...you burned your wick and your now tasting burnt wick...

Atty's are never supposed to be ignited, fired up, burned or otherwise electrified dry... That is why they come pre lubed.... dry is bad...wet is good.

With your new atty's try this and see if it helps... rinse them in hot water, dry the outside off and gently blow out the excess water inside.... expect very little vapor when refilling it for a few minutes while the new juice replaces the water in the wick...a few minutes later, it vapes like new again....

If your atty gets really gunky.....let it sit in vinegar for an hour, rinse in hot water, gently blow it out, refill it...vape away

Don't freak out when a newly rinsed out atty takes about 20 puffs to produce mad vapor again. The new juice has to work its way into the wick as the water is vaped away..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread