Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
So, do they test?

Just curious if the do blood tests for nicotine. I am sure that more and more companies are going to impose higher health care premiums as penalties to smokers, but I'm wondering if it strictly the "honor system" or if they actually test you for nic in your system. Of course all of that is moot if you vape 0mg juice.

Edit: OK, re-reading your post - if they are paying for your vaping equipment, then I assume they realize you will still have nicotine in your system.

Last edited:

cores

Verified Member
Dec 24, 2014
Nicotine is just a stimulant, not a death sentence.

Sure nicotine is a poison if enough is taken. So is Fluoride. As well as the Nitrogen in the air created by mother earth.

Just because vaping can contain nicotine, doesn't make it even similar to the deadly carcinogens in cigarettes. Insurance companies aren't stupid. They'd be more worried that vaping may be a gateway to smoking than vaping being dangerous to health.

Last edited:

jjk1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
Maine, USA
This is a good sign. Insurance companies don’t do anything they don’t have to do that doesn’t help the bottom line. Their job is to collect as much and pay out as little as possible. Getting smokers to switch saves them money or they wouldn’t classify vaping as not smoking. Seems to me like the loudest anti vapors are in the danger business collecting grant money from people in the tax collection business.

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
Too bad life insurance companies won't do the same. They were a HUGE factor in my decision to ween off nicotine (which I have) because I want to get some life insurance and I want to be able to (honestly) claim non-smoker status.

I don't think that vaping nicotine will be considered "safe" by insurance companies in the long run. I hope I'm wrong but they will use any excuse to charge you a higher rate. Until there are definitive, massive and long-term (decades long) studies proving that there's no substantial long-term health risks to vaping, they're going to fall on the side of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Podunk

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Podunk, USA
Be very careful people. I started vaping when our insurer told us our policy rates will double when we renew in 2015 for anyone classed as a smoker. Our company pays 100% for the employee! but they decided smokers pick up the surcharge estimated at $800 per month each. The question remains whether the insurance company will surcharge anyone using any type of nicotine or device. My goal is nic free before renewal time.

I think vaping is still too new for anything bad to come from it. Many of us are former smokers. Any future illness can be from past smoking. Hard to prove it's from vaping. Now if you get someone who never smoked a day in their life, who picked up vaping, die from vaping related :confused: illness, there might be a problem. But what if that person was a welder, worked with chemicals, or any hazardous environment?

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
If you're vaping, you are a non-smoker (honestly).

For health insurance I am by for life insurance I'm only a non-tobacco user if I can pass a test for nicotine; or, rather, the lack thereof. The test is extremely accurate and nicotine stays in the system a long time. Doesn't really matter if I consider myself a non smoker. I want their coverage I have to accept their definitions. Another 6 months of vaping 0mg and I'll be able to pass the test and meet their requirements for a non-tobacco user.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
I was wondering if my insurance company would do the complete opposite. That is why I only vape 0 nic. My rates are to high as it is. Besides I quit the cancer sticks 25 years ago.

(Bows) Wow, I thought I was an anomaly at 5 years. Might be difficult for you to pick the best average price to plug in, but once you do one of those signatures that calculate how much you have saved you will be astounded! Mine is over $10,000 and I am in the state with the third lowest tax in the nation. Also quit two weeks after the federal tax jumped from $0.39 per pack to $1.01 per pack.

woodhippy

Master of Know Place
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2014
New Bloomfield MO
E-cigarettes create quandry for health insurers, policymakers : Special

“For our individual business we do not consider e-cigarettes as tobacco use that can affect the rates we charge,” said Deb Wiethop, a spokeswoman for Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield in Missouri. “We interpret tobacco as products that contain tobacco such as cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, and snuff.”

“At this time Coventry Health Care, an Aetna company, does not ask about or rate for e-cigarette usage,” said spokesman Rohan Hutchings. “Aetna’s policies and procedures [will] be revisited as future guidance dictates.”

Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is the one my employer is with.
I found the above online this mornin.

Woodhippy

woodhippy

Master of Know Place
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2014
New Bloomfield MO
So, do they test?

Just curious if the do blood tests for nicotine. I am sure that more and more companies are going to impose higher health care premiums as penalties to smokers, but I'm wondering if it strictly the "honor system" or if they actually test you for nic in your system. Of course all of that is moot if you vape 0mg juice.

Edit: OK, re-reading your post - if they are paying for your vaping equipment, then I assume they realize you will still have nicotine in your system.

They are not paying for my equipment

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
For health insurance I am by for life insurance I'm only a non-tobacco user if I can pass a test for nicotine; or, rather, the lack thereof. The test is extremely accurate and nicotine stays in the system a long time. Doesn't really matter if I consider myself a non smoker. I want their coverage I have to accept their definitions. Another 6 months of vaping 0mg and I'll be able to pass the test and meet their requirements for a non-tobacco user.

Either way, if the question asks if you are a smoker or non-smoker, non-smoker is the right answer.

If it asks if you are a nicotine user, that's different, but that's not the question I was responding to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread