My husband is a serial Phoenix BC killer! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
I don't know what to do! I don't think there are any e-cigarette police I can call or anything. He's knocking them off by lethal injection. Seriously.

He'll fill a Phoenix and it just flat out dies. The coil doesn't heat. I can't figure out what he's doing differently than me aside from maybe filling it higher than I do. He turns it upside down and fills it up to the point where the post widens. I usually fill mine about halfway or a bit more since I change flavors a lot. I've filled it to that point and never killed a Phoenix before, though. :unsure:

It's happened too often for it to be a coincidence and it's always after he refills it. Now, he's not rough with them. He wears his e-cig around his neck most of the time or sitting on his desk. It isn't dropped and it doesn't bang against anything. His batteries are the same ones I use since we pretty much grab whichever one is charged when we need a new one. The exceptions are my green Apollo e2 battery and Amigo dongle (from Alpha, on its way to main).

These are standard 650 mah batteries, not VV. The juices are somewhere between 60/40 and 70/30 (pg heavy) but it doesn't seem to matter.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm thinking about revoking his Phoenix filling privileges :laugh:

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
I really need to get a meter. I don't think it's because of screwing them in too tight, he fills it while it's already on his battery about half the time. For the record, I tend to do that, too. And they don't die on me.

In regards to the post, it's not a matter of needing to pull it out because they wick just fine. And the coil is not heating, so it's actually shot.

We just got some Phoenix Ravens today and he was gonna be using those instead with the hopes that they would be kinder to him. But then they're all fubared. I have found a way to use them pretty consistently, thank goodness. I hope he takes pity on 'em.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
When he fills does he push really hard on the plunger or let it go in slow? There is a little hole in the bottom of the ceramic cup maybe liquid is getting through that from the pressure and is pooling up around the center post and somehow shorting ut out? The pos post is easy to take out and look at as well as the rubber grommet if you want to see.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
When he fills does he push really hard on the plunger or let it go in slow? There is a little hole in the bottom of the ceramic cup maybe liquid is getting through that from the pressure and is pooling up around the center post and somehow shorting ut out? The pos post is easy to take out and look at as well as the rubber grommet if you want to see.

I'll take a look and see if that's it. He used to use more force than I thought necessary, but stopped a while back when I suggested that it caused some of the early deaths.

Like me, he always vapes them dry before refilling. The only difference that I can see is the amount of juice he puts in.

Thanks, y'all.

antfuzz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Delaware
BonnyC

Soon after I sent the phoenixes I didn't like to you I bought a couple of ego-twist batteries and decided to revisit the Phoenix. I ended up liking them very much. I've even managed to rewiring one so far. The one thing that I always do when refilling is to remove it from the battery. The air in the tube needs to escape through the air holes at the bottom. It's just a theory but perhaps your husband, most likely being heavy handed, :) might be breaking the coil or dislodging it some fashion when using the syringe causing it not function.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
BonnyC

Soon after I sent the phoenixes I didn't like to you I bought a couple of ego-twist batteries and decided to revisit the Phoenix. I ended up liking them very much. I've even managed to rewiring one so far. The one thing that I always do when refilling is to remove it from the battery. The air in the tube needs to escape through the air holes at the bottom. It's just a theory but perhaps your husband, most likely being heavy handed, :) might be breaking the coil or dislodging it some fashion when using the syringe causing it not function.

Perhaps that's it, I dunno. He definitely doesn't have the reverence for them that I do :laugh: I'm glad you liked them after all!

I guess I'll clean my ecig station up and sort out my stock. Gotta figure out how many survivors we have!

Is there anything I can do to resurrect the dead ones? I don't have any fancy tools aside from a Leatherman, two types of tweezers and some cuticle scissors. Macgyver could make a car battery out of that, so maybe I'm not completely hopeless.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
That's a strange one; but I'm thinking filling them while on the battery might be the problem. I never fill anything while screwed on the battery. I'd try taking the bad ones apart, soaking them in Everclear or vodka, and see if the coils will dry burn. Take a tissue, and clean out the battery connection on the battery itself. Tell hubby to fill very slowly. The air needs time to escape as you fill.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
That's basically what I'm doing today. I'm doing a full overhaul of my ecig storage stuff. All of the stuff in the graveyard is being dissected and parts kept for salvage. The burnt out Phoenixes are out separately from the rest because I want to see what they all have in common.

If I ever lose a Phoenix, it's while dry burning it. I've never had one just up and die on me while I'm still actively using it.

We don't keep alcohol in the house, but I'm using hydrogen peroxide right now. I've used vinegar in the past, too. Which of these are best for what you're suggesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread