My letter to my member of parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mr. Norlock,

I would like some information regarding Health Canada's ongoing restriction (Ban?) on electronic cigarettes and their related components. I have recently quit smoking using an e-cigarette. Having tried gum, patches, the nicorette inhaler, and Champix, all without success, I was able to quit smoking tobacco immediately and completely using this device. I have done a fair amount of research and have found some information I would like you to review and perhaps present to Health Canada representatives regarding their use and regulation in other countries. Specifically New Zealand, which has completed several studies on their safety and efficiency with regards to smoking cessation.

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/Portland2008ECIG.pdf

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/EcigNitrosamines.htm

If Health Canada is truly looking out for the well-being of Canadians, I cannot inderstand why they would be so opposed to an alternative to smoking tobacco which has been shown to be 99% safer than smoking tobacco cigarettes for the user, not to mention there is no second-hand smoke so it is 100% safer for non-smokers. If Health Canada continues to block imports and sales of e-cigarettes and their required components thousands of Canadians like myself will undoubtedly return to smoking tobacco which contains up to 5000 times more harmful toxins than the vapour from an e-cigarette. This is an opportunity to end decades of burden on our health care system due to tobacco use, which I have seen take the life of my grandfather, as well as my best friend less than 2 years ago. Please take the time to do your own research on the subject and let me know how you feel about it, and what can be done to allow Canadians a MUCH safer alternative to smoking.

Thanks Tony, Yeah I see what you mean, I usually refer to it as a nicotine vaporizer if anyone asks, but unfortunately that gets me blank stares, so I typically end up calling it an e-cig, too because at least some people have heard the term before. Although I told a guy at work it was an electronic cigarette and he asked me where I put the cigarette in LMAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread