My letter to the FDA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogvo

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Cameron, NC
I don't know how much weight it will have on the final decision with the FDA to approve e-cigs, but I followed the link at the top of this site and filled out the form. Here is what I wrote:

As a person who has smoked tobacco cigarettes for more than 25 years with many unsuccessful attempts at quitting smoking, I urge you to approve the sale and use of electronic cigarettes. After reading the facts and the use of this product, it is clear that the ingredients of the liquid used in this product are far less harmful than those of a tobacco cigarette.

Electronic cigarettes have helped many thousands of people quit smoking where every "approved" method has failed. Further, the ingredient that was found in a trace amount in a sample is also present in tobacco products. I have seen no valid argument to support the FDA's desired ban on this product.

The tobacco companies have set up websites and offered "assistance" to consumers who want to quit, but the market's offerings have been engineered to fail. Big tobacco is laughing into the faces of Americans. Finally there is a product that works and the government wants to crush it out.

This product has been approved in other countries and there is no reason why it cannot be approved here as well. Every year, TENS of THOUSANDS of Americans die from complications that are directly related to smoking. As a firefighter, I have responded to countless house and vehicle fires where life and property have been lost as a direct result of the the use of cigarettes. Hazards presented by the use of Electronic Cigarettes to health, life and property are virtually non existent by comparison!

As a free American adult who has the right to make the choice to destroy my health with the use of cigarettes, I demand to have the right to use an alternative product that will save me from the harmful addiction that you permit the tobacco companies to addict me to.

Otherwise, you are sending the message that you are turning a blind eye to the health of Americans in favor of the monetary gains realized from allowing and promoting the sale and use of tobacco cigarettes. It is the tobacco that should be banned!

Now might be the time to participate in this!

Paranoyed

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2009
Very well done.. No more needs to be said.
A ......ed monkey might be able to distinguish the difference and understand that our e-cigs are a better choice. Lets just hope they don't have ......ed monkeys running the FDA.

I am kinda hoping they do cause I think the ......ed monkeys would have more common sense than what is currently there:-x

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I submitted one, also, but got a message that it could take weeks to appear on the list. I don't see any new messages listed there for a few days. Anyway, here's what I sent:

=================

I am writing to implore the FDA to allow the continued use of electronic cigarettes, and to conduct further studies into their effectiveness as a nicotine replacement for conventional tobacco cigarettes.

My experience with e-cigarettes mimics that of thousands of other users. I have been a smoker since 1968, and have attempted unsuccessfully to quit several times in the past. I bought an e-cigarette purely out of curiosity, but an amazing thing happened - since the 4th day I owned it, I have not had another cigarette, nor have I had any desire to do so. I have regained my sense of smell and taste, have more energy, and am breathing freely now.

The e-cigarette provides the same familiar hand-to-mouth interaction, while the nicotine satisfies the cravings, and the variety of flavors allows just about any smoker to find something that works to them. The user has an extremely flexible means to adjust the level of nicotine, all the way down to none, if desired. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the success rate in e-cigarette users stopping smoking tobacco cigarettes exceeds 80%. This is an astounding number, compared to any other method currently known.

There may be risks associated with the use of e-cigarettes, but they are risks that smokers are willing to take, because they work, and because they are orders of magnitude safer than tobacco cigarettes - not only for the user, but for those around them. The growing community of e-cigarette users would welcome long-term studies about their use and effect on health, regulating the purity of ingredients and the safety of devices. Sales to minors must be prohibited, and non-smokers should be discouraged from using e-cigarettes. But a ban or other significant impediment to the use of these devices will put thousands of e-cigarette users at risk of resuming use of tobacco, and an opportunity to save potentially millions of lives and billions of health care dollars will be lost.

Thank you for your consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread