My mini review of the Russian 91%

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2014
Phoenix
Ive been using mostly Nautilus tanks for the last 4 months, and although they are probably the best clearimizers out there, I just wanted something....more. More flavor, more vapor (although Im not what you would call a cloud chaser), and more solid. Just like anything, the Nautilus DOES have its quirks. After a month of reading, I decided on either a real Kayfun Lite, or a Russian 91%. I chose the Russian for the air control.

I got the Russian from my local B&M who's sticker price was lower than online ($89.99). B&M gave it to me for $84.99 as Ive spent quite a bit of money there haha. Got some 28g Kanthal, and an ohm tester. Also got some organic cotton from Walgreens.

I have to say my first few builds were...for lack of better words...LMFAO haha. They got better each time, but man. Those coils were funny looking! Anyway, finally got a good one built...about 5/64 12 wrap coil, came in at about 2ohm (if I remember correctly). initially, it was fabulous. Great vapor, fantastic flavor, but after about 15-20 puffs started burning. I thought maybe my cotton was too dense, so rebuilt the wick. Again. And again. And again. (Im vaping at about 4v BTW but tried all the way down to 3.2).

After a couple of days of frustration and opening up my tank finding the cotton in the middle of my coil being burned, I decided to make a bigger coil. I used 7/64. Made a nice fluffy wick for it, put everything together, and hoped.

SUCCESS!

Beautiful. Ive now been using this wick and coil for a couple of days. Its solid, full of vapor, and the flavor is AMAZING. Im using a custom blend my B&M made me 50/50 of pink lemonade and raspberry/strawberry. I normally use 2 different juices throughout the day but honestly I cant put this down. The draw is consistent, pretty quiet, and predictable. The build of this thing is solid. All the threads are solid, and the workmanship of the device is top notch. I chose the bushed steel (but it isnt really brushed steel, not sure what to call it) and its great looking, and resists fingerprints! I love love love that feature of this finish.

All in all, even after my false starts with my builds, I am absolutely tickled with the results. I am not underwhelmed AT ALL. This is really a great RBA. Ill probably try a 9 coil next time, to get the ohms down just a tad. I have no interest in sub-ohm, but a little lower will help with the slower heat-up of higher ohm coils. I think for me, somewhere around 1.4-1.6 would be the sweet spot.

Heres the obligatory pic on top of my eVic (cant upload a pic so gotta link it)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsqahkpzjflyond/2014-05-26 20.52.04.jpg

edit: And BTW Im filling from the bottom :p

Last edited:

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
Best feeling in the world when it started working right ain't it? night and day difference for me between my nautilus /protank /aerotank mega.

I did the same thing as you but got both the KFL+ and Russian 91% luckily for me I didn't need any trial and error I had success building on very first attempt with no wicking/leaking issues. It probably helps that I watched many YouTube videos first and that I used to work for a company Nielsen TV ratings for several years doing a lot of Soldering on electronics and small parts etc...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
btw my first build was with Microcoil 32 Guage on 1/16 as it was all I had at the time came out to 2.9ohms but was surprisingly good.

when my 28 Guage arrive my first attempt I wrapped a solid 1.1 ohm and I do like it better then the previous. I think I am going to try for 1.5 ohm next and compare.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
welcome to the wonderful world of authentic RTA's. I have a handful of clones and cheap facsimiles, many of which are perfectly serviceable and one is even quite awesome (HCigar Aqua), but I always seem to return to my R91 for its consistency and flawless functioning. Perhaps there is a bit the old placebo effect going on, but I also think it is true that the performance-to-price ratio for atomizers is far less skewed than for mods when considering authentic vs. clone; if for no other reason than atomizers are a more complex and intricate piece of kit that rely on tight tolerances of fitment where a single millimeter off here or there can easily be the difference between a great device and an utterly useless lump of steel.

BTW: if you your 510 becomes a bit too leaky for you -- as did mine -- I found that the replacement center pin assembly from FatDaddyVapes and new set of insulators plugs it up just right. I also prefer a different drip tip on my R91. One with a wider bore seemed to tame the R91's propensity for turning into a fiery juice-spitting dragon.

Last edited:

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
Whats the difference in price between this 91% and Kayfun Lite Plus by EHPRO ? Confused as to why one is so much more expensive than the other.

kayfun lite plus by ehpro is a clone someone knocked it off. the Russian 91% is an authentic version of the kayfun (something to do with a split between the people who came up with the design)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
kayfun lite plus by ehpro is a clone someone knocked it off. the Russian 91% is an authentic version of the kayfun (something to do with a split between the people who came up with the design)

Svoe Mesto made a statement (don't have the link available) that the rumours about the split are false, that the designers of the Kayfun all still work at SM, and that the makers of the Russian are not nor have ever been associated with SM. That would make the Russian a clone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

bludogg

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Arizona
Svoe Mesto made a statement (don't have the link available) that the rumours about the split are false, that the designers of the Kayfun all still work at SM, and that the makers of the Russian are not nor have ever been associated with SM. That would make the Russian a clone.

The Russians are indeed clones. The difference from a regular clone manufacturer is that they aren't attempting to cut corners, sell cheap machining. Normally a Russian is 1:1 but the base is slightly different and better thought. The 91% doesn't have the KFL+ whistle for instance because of the design of the air inlet. The air inlet into the deck is slightly raised so you won't get run off into inlet with something wicking too fast. The Russian IS a clone, but better than a clone or arguably the real deal at the same time. KFL+ was a response to The Russian 91% btw, so who is cloning who?! Either way, two high end rba's and I love 'em both.

Edit: What I mean to say is that I don't think we would have the Kayfun design we have today without Kebo and SM really pushing this seesaw of one-up-manship.

Last edited:

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States

that is the most expensive clone out there if that's the case. I don't consider it a clone because the quality is top notch unlike a clone

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I picked up a Kayfun Lite + clone from my local B & M store, and they were kind enough to build it for me initially.

I then picked up wire, cotton, ohm tester, etc. etc. and began playing around building for myself, while watching YouTube video instructions.

Shortly thereafter picked up a EHPro Kayfun Lite + in all black!

Had a few leaks in the early stages, but only while building... once I put the tanks together correctly, they never leaked!

Fact is, as others have stated, the Russian is a clone of the Kayfun, even if it's a well build improvement on the Kayfun, according to some.

If you want to get into rebuilding, and don't have a lot of extra cash, don't hesitate in picking up a clone. View the YouTube videos that review the different clones, find out what the differences are, and go for it!

It really improves the vapor production and flavor over a Nautilus or Aerotank, even though I do still use those at times for their ease in changing flavors.

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
I picked up a Kayfun Lite + clone from my local B & M store, and they were kind enough to build it for me initially.

I then picked up wire, cotton, ohm tester, etc. etc. and began playing around building for myself, while watching YouTube video instructions.

Shortly thereafter picked up a EHPro Kayfun Lite + in all black!

Had a few leaks in the early stages, but only while building... once I put the tanks together correctly, they never leaked!

Fact is, as others have stated, the Russian is a clone of the Kayfun, even if it's a well build improvement on the Kayfun, according to some.

If you want to get into rebuilding, and don't have a lot of extra cash, don't hesitate in picking up a clone. View the YouTube videos that review the different clones, find out what the differences are, and go for it!

It really improves the vapor production and flavor over a Nautilus or Aerotank, even though I do still use those at times for their ease in changing flavors.

where did you find a black Ehpro KFL+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread