Not open for further replies.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
try #3 - OBS nano - spaced clapton 0.7ohms (made with my clumsy hands)
hmmm...
don't think i'm getting the tail trimming right. did get it snug in the coil without destroying the spacing however.
enough of my blabbing...how does it vape you ask? very well. hitting the clapton with 25W from my steampunk. using my own liquid (don't laugh...gingerbread, cola and coconut). flavour is great with no dry hits. it might not be elegant...it is probably totally wrong...but i did it and it works. i consider try #3 to be a success.
bring on try #4.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am with you, Lupinehorror. I find my coiling and wicking experiences to be filled with frustration, amusement, and occasional success. I am getting better at it, but it's a long, uphill, strewn with dead coils and insufficient or over-sufficient wicking and the occasional need for a bandaid or a hug from a small child...:lol:

*Mutters to self* "Coiling and wicking is fun they said, it's not hard, they said, wicking is an ART, they said, despite being a dark mistress of the nicotinic ARTS, this is one art form (like modern art) that just eludes me sometimes."

I think you are doing fantastic though!! :)

Anna

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
...using my own liquid (don't laugh...gingerbread, cola and coconut). flavour is great with no dry hits. it might not be elegant...it is probably totally wrong...but i did it and it works. i consider try #3 to be a success.
bring on try #4.

Hey man, one of my favourite menthols is officially supposed to be fig, gummy bears and a few other kitchen sink flavours as accents (can't recall anymore, was told but only the first two get officially listed). Anyway, net result is a frosty black currant and it's fabulous.

Let's define success in this context: it vapes well and you're happy? Yep, success. Now to nitpick and hone! Rayon is the best.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I am with you, Lupinehorror. I find my coiling and wicking experiences to be filled with frustration, amusement, and occasional success. I am getting better at it, but it's a long, uphill, strewn with dead coils and insufficient or over-sufficient wicking and the occasional need for a bandaid or a hug from a small child...:lol:

*Mutters to self* "Coiling and wicking is fun they said, it's not hard, they said, wicking is an ART, they said, despite being a dark mistress of the nicotinic ARTS, this is one art form (like modern art) that just eludes me sometimes."

I think you are doing fantastic though!! :)

Anna
i haven't had too many disasters now that i think about it. only been trying standard stuff though and nothing exotic. once i finally realised that juice holes didn't have to be packed tighter than a tight thing my results did improve. switching to rayon (a lot of which will hopefully be incoming thanks to a very generous forumite) i did feel like i was back to square one but 3 attempts later confidence is increasing (setting myself up for a fall? probably...).
be good to see what you've been up to of late...wick wins or wick woes :rolleyes:
Wicking is always the hardest thing for me to conquer with a new rta. When my Zeus comes there will be much cussing and muttering. My cats always seem to enjoy the show.
got a zeus on order also. very much looking forward to it. it shall be documented here. and :banana:for the cats!
Hey man, one of my favourite menthols is officially supposed to be fig, gummy bears and a few other kitchen sink flavours as accents (can't recall anymore, was told but only the first two get officially listed). Anyway, net result is a frosty black currant and it's fabulous.

Let's define success in this context: it vapes well and you're happy? Yep, success. Now to nitpick and hone! Rayon is the best.
i struggle with flavours that feature menthol for some reason...think my palate leans towards sweet and citrus.
after steeping for a week i'm about to try my latest concoction...pancakes with maple syrup and blueberry...
which reminds me...more gingerbread must be purchased.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
i haven't had too many disasters now that i think about it. only been trying standard stuff though and nothing exotic. once i finally realised that juice holes didn't have to be packed tighter than a tight thing my results did improve. switching to rayon (a lot of which will hopefully be incoming thanks to a very generous forumite) i did feel like i was back to square one but 3 attempts later confidence is increasing (setting myself up for a fall? probably...).
be good to see what you've been up to of late...wick wins or wick woes :rolleyes:

got a zeus on order also. very much looking forward to it. it shall be documented here. and :banana:for the cats!

i struggle with flavours that feature menthol for some reason...think my palate leans towards sweet and citrus.
after steeping for a week i'm about to try my latest concoction...pancakes with maple syrup and blueberry...
which reminds me...more gingerbread must be purchased.

Try a sweet and/or citrus menthol!

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
It looks like you stuffed enough in the coils but I'm not sure you've trimmed enough from the tails. Here's my pitiful attempt at a diagram that might help show what we mean by trimming the tails. I tried to make it bigger but I couldn't. But you get the gist of it. Cut where the red lines are.

upload_2017-10-27_8-20-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-27_8-19-56.png
    upload_2017-10-27_8-19-56.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Rayon wick trimming.png
    Rayon wick trimming.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Rayon wick trimming.png
    Rayon wick trimming.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 22

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
It looks like you stuffed enough in the coils but I'm not sure you've trimmed enough from the tails. Here's my pitiful attempt at a diagram that might help show what we mean by trimming the tails. I tried to make it bigger but I couldn't. But you get the gist of it. Cut where the red lines are.

View attachment 696419
probably did about 50% of that...very helpful...as always...cheers

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
try #4 - OBS engine - 2 x 0.35ohm spaced claptons - again.
this time i'm fully satisfied with
the wicking. full, flavoursome, vape that doesn't even get a hit of burnt/dry even with some serious chain puffing. didn't bother to photograph this one (read: i forgot to photograph this one).
looking forward to some of the new RDAs/RTAs that are inbound with different decks. will also wind some SS and give the rayon a go with TC (or have i done that already? o_O).
there should also be a reveal reasonably soon...

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Wicking is always the hardest thing for me to conquer with a new rta. When my Zeus comes there will be much cussing and muttering. My cats always seem to enjoy the show.
I don't know if I'll ever try Rayon. I use Master of Clouds Japanese organic cotton pads. It is the only cotton I have ever used that does not have a taste on the new wick and it wicks well. I mostly build my coils at 3-3.5 inner diameter and cutting my cotton pad to 5mm width seems just right for the wicks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread